“YUM!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Sulphur, Louisiana
“YUM!”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Authentic Mexican joint with a very eclectic décor. Our group of six tried a bit of everything and it was all fantastic. Our servers were prompt and pleasant. Great local experience.

Visited December 2013

San Diego, California
“What am I missing??”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

My husband and I are (currently en routine) on our way to Taos for the holidays, and I looked up places to eat in Holbrook because we were starving. This place had such high reviews from previous diners that I figured why not give it a go. I should have walked out as soon as I walked in considering it was lunchtime, no one was there dining, and there was a faint smell of cigarettes. But as I said we were starving and my husband took the lead and sat us down. In a nutshell: The waitress was not very friendly, present, or helpful, my water had floatees, the food looked as though it was piping hot out of the microwave (and possibly from the frozen section at Costco)... The waitress brought our hot plates out with dirty welder type gloves. Hub got the tamale dinner plate and I got the cheese enchilada dinner plate. I asked for whole beans- I believe, based on what I was given, they just add whole beans to the mashed refried beans. After eating a couple bites or so my husband laid his napkin on his plate and declared his body was saying 'NO MORE'! He normally is part of the Plate Finisher club. Speaks volumes.

The 'eclectic' decor DOES NOT make up for the gross food and lame service. My suggestion? Hit the grocery store!

• Visited December 2013
US/NW
“good mexican food”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Green chicken enchalladas had actual green chiles on them, instead of a green 'salsa' sauce, which was a nice change. The chips were warm and fresh, and the salsa served with them was just the right heat level. Husband had a enchallada style chicken green chile burrito, and was pleased with that as well. We were there between lunch and dinner times, had the place to ourselves. $24 for the two of us. Good value!

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Decent food, great staff, quirky surroundings”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is the best 'Route66' place we found in Holbrook. It's festooned with memorabilia, including some stuff that makes you do a double-take. Is that a pram hanging from the ceiling? Why?.....
When we dropped in late one evening we were treated like royalty, the staff couldn't have been more helpful even though we kept them working way past closing time. There was a genuinely warm family atmosphere to the place, something that the chain restaurants just can't seem to replicate. The food itself was standard Mexican-ish fare, but done to a high standard and in generous quantities. Compares favourably with the over-rated Joe&Aggies down the road.

• Visited August 2013
Texarkana
“This place is an interesting place with lots to view.”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

This was a cool place. Filled with antiques everywhere. The food was good, kind of a Mexican/American. The best sopilla with honey. Great desserts too.

• Visited August 2013

Been to Mr. Maestas? Share your experiences!