“Attention to detail”
Review of Globetrotter Lodge

Globetrotter Lodge
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Holbrook
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Meandering back to California after a year in New York. Making it up as we go along. Relying heavily on Trip Advisor. Heeding the recommendations always a good choice. This place no exception. It's number one in the town for good reasons. Retro Route 66 feel but super clean & comfortable. Innkeepers are personable. Excellent hosts.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank shachomike

Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I were traveling back to Kansas City from a 2 week holiday visit with our daughter and son in law in southern California. Having stopped for lunch in Holbrook on the way out, we had planned to stay the night there on our return. The Globetrotter Lodge had received a number of good reviews on Tripadvisor, so we made it our choice for the night of Jan. 3, 2013. It was dark when we arrived, but not too late. Peter, the owner, was at the desk and greeted us warmly. He led us to our room and turned on the heater for us. After showing us the room and explaining that breakfast would be ready in the morning, as well as offering a few suggestions for dinner, he bid us good night. Our car was the only one in the lot that night, so I think that we were the Lodge's only guests. The room was clean and neat as a pin. The beds were very comfortable, although the pillows were pretty thin. But, I had brought my own, so this didn't matter to me. There was a nice flat screen TV mounted on the wall, and an assortment of books, most of which were in German. Although the room was small, we did not feel "squeezed". On the contrary, we both felt warm and cozy. The room was basic without a lot of frills and amenities, and the bathroom is on one side of the room, while the vanity area is on the other. If you're the type of person who needs to be pampered with lots of extras, or who can't stay in anything less than a Hampton Inn, this probably isn't the place for you. But, if you're looking for a spotless, clean, cozy and peaceful place to lay your head after a long day's drive, at a reasonable price, you can't do any better than the Globetrotter Lodge.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank larryf1952
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We're driving from Southern California to Tennessee and made this our first nights stay. I called at 7pm and spoke with Mona. She was very nice and accommodating, saying she would wait up until we got there. we arrived around 1045pm and there she was, ready to check us in and escorted us to our room. As it was off season, there were no other guests at the Globetrotter. She had gone to the room earlier and turned on the heater so we didn't freeze when we got there. Nice added touch. The room we had was immaculately clean, and the shower looked brand new, no signs of mildew at all that you normally see in the caulking even in newer hotels. The bed was firm and comfortable with plenty of bedding to keep warm. In the morning, there was an array of fresh fruit, cereal, bagels and jams, and a pot of fresh coffee on our table. Really couldn't have asked for more.
We highly recommend the Globetrotter for your next stop in Holbrook, AZ. We will definitely stay again when we are in the area! Kudos to the family for all of the little things that I always look for, that mean they truly care about their business and customers, it definitely shows here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tirahn
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stopped here to get an early start on the Petrified Forest NP and was glad I chose it. It appears to be a classic Route 66 motel. The room was spotlessly clean and comfortable. But what I like most about the lodge were the quirks that let you know you are not staying in a sterile modern inn. The room had an odd setup with the bathroom on one side and the sink on the other. The bedspread was awesome, it had a Mexican trucker design. Maybe it is not to everyone's taste but so unexpected that I found it cool. The owners are Austrian and this showed with some of the books in the room being in German. Room #2 has a wildlife guide. I met two of the owner's family and they were very nice and polite. Breakfast did not blow me away, but then I was the only guest they had that night. Give it a try for those who enjoy the offbeat.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BuckeyeInGreece
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Holbrook is the only town of any size near the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest national park, and its limited lodging options range from seedy-looking no-frills motels to two Best Westerns. Based on reviews, we tried the family-run Globetrotter Lodge on Route 66 rather than a chain hotel. We we delighted with the value: a clean, comfortable room (with tv and wifi) and a nice continental breakfast for a very reasonable price. It was nice to meet Peter (the inn-keeper); he and his wife bring a bit of refreshing old-world charm and hospitality to their motel on the old Route 66 strip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarkWalter
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We were a little late in visiting the Petrified Forest National Park (closes at 5 pm in winter months), so we decided to stay overnight in Holbrook (about 22 miles away) and re-visit the park in the morning. We had already passed through the town on our way to the park and we always like helping the local economy if we can. During the day, Holbrook still has some old-fashioned western charm. I've read about Holbrook being the inspiration for the movie "Cars" and it does live up to much of the image. We were there on a Saturday night. Kind of quiet for a weekend. I wonder where most locals go? Most activity was at the Safeway.

The motel is owned by a friendly couple who go out of their way to make your visit enjoyable. You can order free coffee and tea up until 10 pm and it will be brought to your door. Our room had been completely remodeled. You could tell the eclectic furniture was probably bought at yard sales, etc. which was just fine. Only thing really missing was a rack of any sort to hang clothes on. Instead, there are a few hooks on the wall with metal and plastic hangers on them.

The bathroom was ok, just a little snug when you closed the door. My guess is that the owner did the remodel himself, making the vanity out of available lumber. Fun, quirky touches, like the painted porceline sink made our experience a little more unique.

In all, we were glad that we stayed downtown. The owners should get 5 stars for effort, but I can't honestly give such a high rating for an older motel, even if it's been remodeled. Free breakfast looked ok. Cereal, coffee, bagels or toast. We wanted to get moving, so we opted for the drive-through at McDonald's on the other side of the freeway.

Warning: if you are a very light sleeper, you need to know that they have trains passing through Holbrook at all times, day and night. The Globetrotter is across the street from the rails (further away) which is probably why we were not bothered during the night. But neither of us is a light sleeper, so we didn't expect it to be a problem. Motels on the other side of the street might have more of a problem.

Pioneer Restaurant within walking distance. Look for my review there. Safeway grocery store just a block away.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brent H
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have stayed here twice in 2012. My family found it to be a special place to stop after a long day of travel. We stayed in June 2012 and Nov 2012. Both times we meant at the room by one of the owners, they unlock the door and turn on the lights. In the morning it is nice to have a light breakfast where the tables are set with tableware and greated by an owner! The environement makes it easy for guest to feel relaxed and polite, unlike at other motel.hotel breakfast areas. I just read the reviews on this website and was surprised to read there is a train near it. My wife is a very light sleeper and she had not heard a train either time we stayed. I read a complant about too small bathrooms. I find it is better to have the sink area not in the same room as the tolet and shower, which makes it easier for more than one person . Some rooms do have the sink, tub/shower and tolet in the same room (I am sure you can ask for one of these rooms if you prefer.) The furnashings in the rooms are maybe a year old, and we found both rooms to be clean and comfortable. We will stay here again as we pass through AZ.

Room Tip: As for a room where the tolet, shower and sink is in one bathroom if you prefer. They escort you to...