“kitchen closed at 6.45 pm on a weekday!”
Review of Wayside Cafe

Wayside Cafe
Ranked #19 of 34 Restaurants in Holbrook
Cuisines: Mexican, American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Description: Mexican and American Food located on Old Route 66 in Holbrook, AZ.
“kitchen closed at 6.45 pm on a weekday!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

After traveliing route 66 we wanted to eat mexican food. So I looked on tripadvisor and saw Wayside as no 1 restaurant in this small town. We walked in the raggedy place, but I normaly don't judge a book by his cover. We look around and seated ourselfs since nobody was present to welcome or greet us, even though there where other guests eating their dinner. I looked at the plates which didn't look realy appitive, but again, I didn't wanted to judge a book by it's cover. When we sat our selves down, I saw an elderly white/caucasian man (not mexican) pop up, and quickly greeted us and gave us the menu. Within a minute (I didn't even got the time to look at the menu) an elderly caucasian woman popped up and started to franticly wave with her arms and wanted us out, because she allready CLOSED the kitchen? The elderly man looked confused as so did we. But we didn't hassatite to turn around, pack up our stuff and to leave that dump. The place looked baad, the food looked bad, and the owners are serious nut jobs! A good mexican is usualy runned by mexicans. Not by pesionatas who have ZERO bussiness sense... This place is awfull...

1 Thank Foreigner T

Running Springs, California
“Basic Good Food”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

A nice mix of (new) Mexican and american eats. I had the green chili cheese burger, which was served open face and smothered in green chili sauce. wife had tacos offered as both soft and hard shell. No beer or wine which is a little down side. The owners are very nice and interesting to talk with.

• Visited October 2012
“Just your average Joe place”
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Had alright food want amazing but was pretty filling. Prices were average could be better. Service was pretty decent. They could use some music out something to spice up the place.

Springville
“disappointed”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Like others I went due to favorable ratings. Found the place in poor shappe, upholstery torn, tables dirty, flies, etc but decided to stick it out in case food was good, ordered pork chops since I had mexican the evening before. Salad was small, pork chops were huge but were simple fried with no seasoning, fries were average but ketchup tasted old, small cup of green peas were just plain nasty tasting. To top it off the Lady running it talked to everyone constantly there was not a quiet moment the whole time I was there

• Visited September 2012
“Average food, lacking in atmosphere.”
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

We stopped here on the advice from other trip advisor reviews. The food was good, not the best, but good. My husband and I each had the combination plate with enchilada, tostada, taco, rice, and beans. We had the green chile sauce on our enchiladas, and that was OK. The salsa was fresh and tasted homemade. Our daughter had chicken fried steak, which she enjoyed. A couple hours later, my husband and I both had heartburn, but maybe we over-ate.

We did not experience the friendliness others have raved about.
Our waitress was all business. Nice enough, but no pleasantries. The ladies room was clean with ample soap and hot water.

All said, it was a good enough little place to stop for lunch.

1 Thank katmcw