1,031 results
All reviews old cars classic cars unique experience take pictures one night tee pee cozy cone wig wam route experience cool place route history bucket list fun place to stay movie cars small museum rooms are small classic route
Reviewed November 29, 2010

I have read about and have seen this place for at least ten years. I finally stayed a cold night after Thanksgiving. It was very difficult to find anything about reservations on the Internet and no one answered the phone when I called the week before. I finally sent an e-mail and they called me a couple of days later and I reserved. Very strange that the hotel is staffed only from 4-9 p.m. No phones in room - I hope there is never an emergency there during the night... This is for the person who WANTS to sleep in a wigwam (or a teepee - What is the difference?) Very clean, new sheets, pillows - Overall very sanitary -This is not is not a luxury event. We had 2 double beds for $65.00 even - fair for what we
got. I wish I could renovate one of these units - The ceiling is normal height - I wonder if it originally was open to the tip? If it could be re-done with plenty of Indian ambiance, tile and pictograph painting - they could double the price for the fun of it!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank 1937Forever
Reviewed November 6, 2010

What a treat. If you're traveling and staying along Route 66, you're going to have railroad tracks - they pretty much follow Route 66 most of the way. The advantage of these cement tepees is that the cement does help to muffle the noise!

We found the Wigwam to be clean, quaint and such fun to say we were there. There are old classic cars parked around the wigwams throughout the property - some in better shape than others - but it all just added to the ambiance. These cars had belonged to the owner and family throughout the years. We'd done our research before our Route 66 trip and were well aware of the limitations at the Wigwam - such as no internet, however the ambiance and room comfort made up for that! Besides, there was a McDonalds down the road with free WiFi so we could catch up with email and do our travel blog while sipping our coffee.

We had a one queen bedroom and it was spacious enough for the two of us. The air-conditioner, while noisy, worked well and we were very comfortable. Our experience was great and I would recommend this place to everyone traveling the Mother Road!

The only downside I found was the office doesn't open until 3 or 4 in the afternoon, so if you're in town early, you're going to have to wait. I'd also advise booking in advance, all too often they're booked up and can't take walk-ups.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank becster56
Reviewed November 5, 2010

Stayed here one night on our way to the Grand Canyon. Just did it for kicks and to say we slept in a wigwam. We didn't make a reservation and were able just to walk in on a Saturday evening and get a room....er...wigwam. It had two beds that were actually much more comfortable than we were expecting. The bathroom was tiny and the shower was so small that we just skipped it all together. I'm claustrophobic so there's no way I could have made it. The furniture was outdated but perfect for the place. Room was clean and the A/C worked. TV was old and remote didn't work but like I said, we didn't stay here for the amenities. We could hear the trains passing by until we turned the A/C on and went to sleep. Overall, a very unique experience for $65.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank saqsaq
Reviewed November 1, 2010

You should be aware you're staying in a concrete wigwam and you need to want to stay in a concrete wigwam. If you do, you will have a really brilliant night. We and our two kids stayed in one and loved it. There was plenty of room for all of us (including in the shower), no cockraoches and a charming and interesting owner).

Everywhere on route 66 is on a railway line as the railway took the same path as the road when it was built (funny, that).

If you would like to stay in an "all mod cons" hotel, this is not for you.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank janedyball
Reviewed October 30, 2010

We booked to stay here as it was a route 66 classic. Upon arrival i was dissapointed to see how rundown the place looked, it seemed as though a renovation of the appearance of the wigwams had lost enthusiasm. We were checked into one of the tired looking wigwams (i had to photo the better looking ones across the way!) The weather was very hot & upon entering the wigwam it quickly became clear things were very basic...an antique TV with furniture from the ark but not even a coffee maker let alone any other comforts & for the money charged it was not good value. I asked at the reception if they provided coffe in the morning & was told "No...you can buy it at Safeways two blocks up." I noticed travellers driving in to photo the wigwams & moving on up the strip to the Best Western....wish i'd done the same! PS...when i enquired if they had WiFi i was told "No you can have a night off from your computer." sweet!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple