1,031 results
All reviews old cars classic cars unique experience take pictures one night tee pee cozy cone wig wam route experience cool place route history bucket list fun place to stay movie cars small museum rooms are small classic route
Reviewed March 30, 2009

We stayed here on Friday 20 March and first impressions were a little disappointing. Some of the Wigwams have large patches of paint missing and looked run down. Within 5 minutes of going to our Wigwam were were approached by an drunken Indian, who we thought worked there, he offered to take our picture and then afterwards asked us for money. Him and 3 other mates then spent the next few hours sitting around blind drunk around the motel, hassling other guess. This really tainted our experience, we didn't feel comfortable leaving the room. The owners really need to do something about them. My advice is to stop take some pictures and then stay at one of the better hotels on the other side of Holbrook.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank McGeepers
Reviewed March 27, 2009

I made reservations from FL and didn't tell my friend where we were staying. We got rerouted on the way up from Phoenix and it was well past closing time when we finally rolled into Holbrook, but the owner was cheerful and helpful just the same.
After having grown up with ubiquitous chain hotels where you have to check the marquee or shampoo bottles to figure out which one you're in and you have to check the phone book to remember which city, staying in an old-fashioned roadside motel was fabulous. To this day, if I'm traveling to a place ahead of time, I try to research and find a locally-run motel/hotel/inn/B&B with character that's still relatively safe and convenient. Because of that, I've collected some much better stories and photographs over the years than I would have at BestExpress8JohnsonClariott.
It was a bit amusing to try taking a shower under the short showerhead (it was perfect for my friend, though), but little adventures like that are what make travel interesting. The accommodations were much warmer and more comfortable than the snow-covered tent we slept in the following night.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank googiegirl66
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Just for giggles, my family and I decided to stay at the Wig Wam Motel during our recent vacation to Arizona. We thought we'd get a few laughs and some stories to tell everyone back home. We were pleasantly surprised to find accomodating space in the room, and the best night of sleep we had gotten since we had been in AZ. It was a great place to stay and the vintage cars in front added more charm. If you're ever in this part of the US, definitely check it out!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank DrFood1
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Was doing a nostalgic road trip. Had to stay in a wigwam from which the Disney movie CARS got the idea of traffic cone motel rooms. Place was ok with main problem being a moldy shower. We decided not to use it and held off showering to the next motel we stayed at. Otherwise rest of the bathroom was clean as was the room itself.

Mirror in the bathroom was on the inclined wall of the wigwam which was weird. Heat worked fine. Good for a nostalgic nights stay for route 66 buffs as well as a fun place for kids. Have several old cars dressing up the parking lot. We were able to hit Painted Desert and Petrified Forest NP from here

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed January 10, 2009

I have wanted to stay in a tee pee at the Wigwam ever since I was a little kid. I saw it on T.V. in the 1950's when it was considered a luxury destination. I am SO grateful that it is still there. And that the decor hasn't been changed too much over time, so that I could feel like I was surely in the same place that I saw on the 'I Love Lucy' show in the 1950's! I was very excited to get a reservation, and relieved when our hostess was gracious about our having to change our reservation at the last moment due to a snowstorm. Thank goodness we were able to get to the Wigwam the next evening. I was so excited. The tee pee looked a bit small from the outside, but was cozy-comfortable on the inside. If you want Wi-Fi and a jacuzi, then you shouldn't be staying in a tee pee (: . The bathroom is, of course, rather small. But if you want to sleep in a tee pee with the indoor plumbing, comfortable beds, and climate control that Indians in days gone by could only dream of, then this is the place to make that dream come true. For imaginative people it is such a treat! I truly expected to have to pay more for a piece of history like this. I hope this place stays intact for people to continue to enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2009