“Wigwam Motel”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Holbrook
Elizabeth, Colorado
“Wigwam Motel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

We tried to stay there but the office was only available during weird hours. We did stop by and look in the rooms. Looks like it would have been fun. If you want room service, plush bedding and nightlife Holbrook isn't for you.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

As soon as I found this hotel during my road trip research, I knew I had to stay here. We were driving along I-40 from California, and were trying to stop at several Route 66 icons along the way. We had had a full day at the Grand Canyon and wanted to just make it to Holbrook for the night. I had booked two Wig Wams but around 8:30 pm we realized we really needed three. We called ahead and the woman manning the desk said they only had apartments left, which was fine. She kept the office open later for us so we could check in and buy a few souvenirs (warning, the office is only open 3-9pm, so if you want postcards, a shirt, or a fun WigWam key chain, get there in time!!!). The WigWams were hilariously adorable, exactly what you would expect. Small, sparcely decorated, a tiny (slanted) shower, but clean and fine for one night on the road (although I wouldn't want to stay there longer than one night). The air conditioner was LOUD but we all agreed it was nice white noise. While unpacking my bags I looked down to see the HUGEST bug I had ever seen on the ground, but I attacked it with my shoe and was saved. I had left the door open to unload my car and realized the giant bug must have come in during that time (my mistake... it is a desert after all). I wore flip flops in the shower (I'm sure it was clean, but it just made me feel better). My in-laws were in the apartment, and although I didn't see it, they said it was comfortable and roomy. Our stay was perfect for a quick over night visit before getting back on the road. One star off for the fact that there was a HUGE gap between the bottom of the door and the floor of the WigWam, which let in light and I'm sure some bugs. BUT. Three days later we realized we had left my son's blanket and pillow there, and they were kind enough to hold it to the side until we came back through two weeks later. If you want great pictures and a memory everyone will be jealous of, make sure the WigWams are on your list of places to stay on your next road trip!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank teachergirl01
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is just as advertised. Cute and fun! The rooms are small, simple, and clean. We were simply using it to sleep, so it was perfect for us. The kids had fun looking at the old cars and taking pictures in front of the wigwams before leaving in the morning. It's a great hotel for the price. Be aware that the office is only open from 3 to 10.

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Sara G
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

For kids this is a must, esp, boys. My son enjoyed looking at the old cars. During the summer, a pow wow is held every evening. It is just down the street. The teepee doesn't offer you anything but a bed, bathroom, and tv. However, that is what makes it charming and different.

• Stayed June 2014
Cleburne, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

If you are taking a road trip down Route 66, this is a must. It is old, somewhat worn, and in a town that offers little, but what a trip in the past. They have cars of the era sitting in the parking lot to add to the atmosphere. The rooms are tiny, but much more spacious than you would have expected and clean. The shower is a trip all by itself, the walls angle like the teepee, of course. The air conditioner was loud, and the TV was tiny, and there is no wifi. The owner could do some appropriate upgrades and charge more and staying there would even be better. But, what can you expect for less than $100.00. The whole deal of Route 66 is to experience the past, and this is what it does. If you want luxury keep on driving, if you want to "get your kicks on route 66", stop.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Johnson22
Gainesville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

So I figure you've GOT to sleep in a Wigwam if you have the chance. This is a funky little place that is just adorable. People who are looking for the Ritz Carlton need to keep on driving. People who like adventure and don't mind a little bit of change are welcome. The price is less than $100 for the night - are you really expecting so many amenities?

The room is small, but clean. There was a big crack between the door and the frame so we worried about bugs, but had none. The train comes nearby, but the air conditioner is so loud that you couldn't hear the apocalypse, much less a silly freight train that comes by every 30 minutes (no, I'm not exaggerating!) Our children loved the shower because the head was so low (because of the shape of the wigwam) that it is the only shower they've ever had where the water wasn't pointing in their eyes.

My only complaint is that there needs to be a place in the bathroom to place your stuff - there is only one teeny tiny shelf that won't hold more than my toothbrush and toothpaste.

I believe everyone should stay here at least once if they have the opportunity. If you are a Disney's Cars fan you should MAKE the opportunity - we spent our whole trip quoting lines from Cars. Too much fun!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank pitterpat000
Belmont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

If your itinerary is to drive Route 66, you must stay at the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook. Such a Kick! The room was larger than we expected and perfectly comfortable. Loved the funky bathroom with its red and white tile. The old cars added extra atmosphere and it was a perfect photo op around sunset with wigwam shadows, great lighting, old cars.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple