“Step back to the 50's”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Holbrook
Elmer, New Jersey
“Step back to the 50's”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

What a great experience. You just have to try it. It is just totally unique. Aside from the train coming by as your wakeup call early in the morning we thoroughly enjoyed our overnight stay. It is a step back to the 50's especially with the classic cars parked around the lot. Again, do it for the nostalgia not the amenities (they really aren't any). Make sure to take the time to look at their huge display of artifacts in the office.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicemeany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Bourton on the Water
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is a really kitschy 1950s motel where each room is a concrete wigwam. Period furniture, so very basic, but there is a small TV, bathroom (small) and Air con. No phones or internet. Each wigwam has a beautiful old car parked outside. Difficult to book as not on the usual sites and the reception is only open between 4pm and 9pm each day, but worth the effort. Good value (around $60 dollars).
Holbrook is very near to Rainbow Desert/Petrified Forest National Park. Plenty of petrified wood on sale. Also has ethnic (Mexican/Native American) dancing displays in the town centre most evenings in the summer. The WIgwam Motel is about a 10-15 minute (half mile) walk to Intersection in the centre of Holbrook where there are a couple of Mexican restaurants, but there is a bar/steakhouse closer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joala
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed here for first time on July 18th for one night only. Our reception was nice and very accommodating, the gal at the desk that night was wonderful and sweet to my son who had his 13th birthday that same day. We had two wigwams, one with one bed and the other with two doubles. There were a lot of complaints about the train that runs behind the place but our noise was the A/C that whole night, it was so loud it drowned out the train. Don't expect any extra's here, no tissues, clock. Fun to do once but will never stay again, the shower, if your taller than 5'5" is really low so expect this. All in all I would recommend it to others but bring ear plugs and expect an adventure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Melissa M
Corrales, New Mexico
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We have been there before and this time took our grand kids. It was a surprise for them. Everything was great. A snug and nostalgic place to spend some time. Got to watch a fantastic lightning storm from the antique bench in front of one of our teepees. Great access the next day to the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert National Monuments. It is something that the little ones will talk about for years to come. Try it, you won't be sorry.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I absolutely agree with everything that reviewer Kyleane just stated. It IS an awesome sight as you pull up and see all of the old cars parked in front of each wigwam. Once we were checked in, we took time to go and take pictures next to each one of the cars.

We reserved one of the 2 double bed wigwams. We managed to fit 2 adults and 2 teenaged kids with a bunch of luggage too! Was it tight? You betcha it was. However, once I heard that these wigwams existed, I wasn't going to let anything spoil my experience, least of all the size of the wigwam or the trains that zoomed by at all hours of the day and night.

Had my husband not been sick and coughing all night, we all may have gotten a good night's sleep. Alas, it was not meant to be. We were all awake at 5am and decided to hit the road for Phoenix, our final destination.

This is a must do---we have many memories that will be discussed well into our golden years....

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank mlempx4
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

These are so much fun to stay in. They have 2 double beds and a bathroom in them. We also had a rollaway as there was 5 of us. There isn't a lot to do in the area but get some drinks in and just have a laugh. It's across the road from a Safeway where you can get beer and food. Do it just to say I've stayed in a wigwam!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sarah B
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I'm writing this review as I'm sitting on the bed inside one of the Wigwams. I absolutely love this place and my one night stay was fantastic. Being from Hayfork, Ca and living in San Diego, Ca I don't get to see this stuff. My boyfriend and I got to the motel around 7 last night and as soon as we pulled up I was just super excited. Seeing the wigwams is just a really cool sight. They also have all of the old cars in the parking lot and neon lights. I read a review on here saying the wigwams were way to small to fit any luggage, and all I can say is, go back to the city you spoiled brat. These rooms have plenty of space. They're clean, and cozy. I really felt like I was stepping back in time by staying here. The bathroom is good size and so is the shower. We went to dinner at Butterfield Steakhouse down the street, good food but very spendy. Then came back and relaxed on the bench outside our room. Everything about this place is just relaxing. This isn't a place to be pampered, this is a place to get a true Route 66 feeling. I would recommend this hotel to everyone! You have to stay here at least once in your lifetime!

• Stayed July 2013