“wild and weird”
Review of Wigwam Motel

Wigwam Motel
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Holbrook
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Well- I was pretty scared by the area. But, it went well. If you were to ask me would I stay there again? I sou;d say no. But, it was an experience. You really get to see how run down the old Route 66 is unfortunately.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michele M

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We decided to take the kids here after reading about it in a Route 66 book. They were completely stoked to see the crazy looking Wigwams and, although I was a little nervous about what we would find upon opening the door, was surprised at the cleanliness. It was reasonably priced and fairly comfortable. If you can get beyond the run down look of an old Route 66 town (it does look a little....well...concerning), then staying in a Wigwam is a fun and interesting piece of history that is definitely once in a lifetime-and better than trying to stay in the ones located near criminal infested San Bernardino. The staff was totally nice and welcoming, even considering that they were sold out for the night but people were still pulling in trying to stay. There is a neat little museum in the main office (which, by the way, is only open from 3-9pm) that has the history of the Wigwams, the owners, and the area and the old cars parked at the Wigwams as if they are staying is cool. If you are expecting some type of resort quality Wigwam on a highway of gold with perfect WiFi, you will be disappointed. But, our kids loved it and it put a smile on their face. Therefore, I loved it.

Room Tip: There isn't a good room-a train rolls through all night long, just like in My Cousin Vinny, blow...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Deborah M
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My partner and I stayed here the other night as part of our Route 66 road trip to the East Coast. We were really excited to stay here but, unfortunately, the poor customer service let the whole experience down. We have stayed in a number of Route 66 classic 'must-stays' and the one thing we have loved throughout the whole trip was the warm welcomes we received from the owners of these vintage hotels. However, when we pulled up to the Wigwam office, we saw a lady sitting in a chair texting. She acknowledged me as I walked inside but did not even look up until after I'd been standing at the counter and didn't begin a proper conversation until after she'd finished her text message. From then on, she barely smiled and didn't really make us feel welcome or excited to be staying at her property. She told us we could try logging on to the wifi but that it probably wouldn't work in our room and to try the lobby instead. She didn't give us the password so we had to come back later to ask for it. When we tried the wifi in the lobby, it didn't work there either. This was a pain because we needed to organise accommodation for the next few days of our trip. Also, just be warned, the taps in Room 8 are switched in the shower. My partner had the 'Hot' tap on for a few minutes waiting for it to warm up before we realised the two taps were swapped and we had to switch on the 'Cold' to actually get 'Hot'. The room was a decent size and the bed was comfy. Room cleanliness was fine. We know it's a vintage hotel and you tend to pay for the experience but for $67-odd dollars you'd expect a bit more than no wifi, a sparse room, minimal office opening hours and a less than welcoming reception.

Room Tip: Room 8 has switched 'Hot' and 'Cold' taps in the shower.
1  Thank Adam_and_Zoe_Rt66
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This stay at the Wigwam motel seemed like a must-do on our road trip through Arizona and a perfect way to experience Rt. 66. We got exactly what we asked for. The interior of the Wigwam appeared to have been most recently updated when Rt. 66 was still thriving. It did come with a TV and there was a heater that could be plugged in, but the bathroom was extremely basic. Everything was clean and actually it was much bigger inside than we imagined. There are trains that go behind the property so light sleepers take note. It wasn't really a big issue though. The biggest issue was the shower, which had one stream of water coming out (like a garden hose) and had tile that appeared very old and a tile floor that was freezing. The bathroom also had no storage (one shelf), so one night might be the max. The room itelf had a desk, but otherwise was also pretty limited for storage space.

The property didn't have much to it. Just the teepees and an office and the fun old cars parked around. The office has very limited hours, but they left our key for us to check in after hours, and we left our key inside the Wigwam when we checked out. Sort of unfortunate because the office looked like it had some cool stuff inside. Not sure what we would have done if we needed extra towels or anything. But it wasn't an issue for us.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay in our teepee and recommend it for anyone that wants something a little different. It was a bit rough inside, but I think we would have been disappointed if it looked like a Four Seasons. And for the price (less than half of any other hotel on our road trip) we could not complain.

1  Thank Bostonian29
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed here the other night and were very disappointed. The wigwams were overpriced, very basic and dirty. We were travelling Route 66 and had stayed in various motels (super 8's etc) along the route all of which were cheaper and far better than this place. You are paying for the novelty value, however the 'wigwams' are small concrete buildings with poor facilities. There's not even staff on site 24 hours. I certainly would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jessica024
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed at the Wigwam a couple of weeks ago while on a Route 66 adventure. I have wanted to stay here for years. After reading many of the reviews, I was somewhat apprehensive but there was no way I was going to pass up the opportunity to stay in a Wigwam because I felt it was a must stay for Route 66 travelers. We arrived a little late (approx. 9 pm) and was greeted by the warm glow of the neon Wigwam Village sign. The staff inside were very friendly as we checked in. The Wigswams are very small and cozy, so if you're looking for a night at the Hilton, go to the Hilton. One has to remember that you're staying in a Wigwam, The bed was comfortable and there is ample room for the weary traveler who plans nothing more than to get a night's sleep. I have stayed in cleaner rooms, but it's not as bad as some of the reviews I've read here. You have to remember that this place has been here a long time. It is old. I really feel if the owners would invest in a little interior paint, maybe some new carpet and especially some new tile in the shower floors (oh yeah the rug in the bathroom bordered 'nasty'), it would be near perfect. Wifi would also be nice but was non-existent and the front desk is closed until 4pm? This was an issue because once I had left town the next morning, I thought I had accidently left my cell phone in the room. We called the front desk to ask if they had found it and there was no answer. We left them a message and gave them our number and asked them to call us back (once they opened back up) to let us know if they had found it so that we could swing back by there on our way back home to pick it up. They never called back, which is a bad customer service practice in my opinion (I later found the phone, so no harm done). It's not like they have a couple of hundred tenants from night to night, so I see no reason they could not have called back. This being said, I would say the the overall experience was 'OK'. A little updating would go a long way. I've seen reviews in which people complained about train noise. We were staying dead center in the back of the village and the train came by a couple of times and we heard it......but barely. The thick stucco-like walls of the Wigwams are a very good sound barrier. The classic cars in the parking lot are a GREAT addition to the vibe of the place. Would I stay again?...Probably not, but I have no regrets about staying there the one night that I had and I would still recommend it to the vacationer looking to wax nostalgic on the Mother Road. It was a pleasant experience. Overall I would give it a "C+".

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark R
Reviewed May 18, 2013

As part of our Route 66 journey, we wanted to stay in some of the iconic hotels along the way. This was one of the few, however, that coincided with our planned itinerary. Yes, it's a novelty, and you wouldn't want to be over 6 feet tall when using the shower, but we enjoyed a perfectly comfortable one night stay. Clean, a very warm welcome, and lots of character. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank Saint100