“Traveling on Route 66 and beyond.”
Review of Wigwam Motel

Wigwam Motel
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Holbrook
Jackson, Alabama
“Traveling on Route 66 and beyond.”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Ok...we just had to stay here...how can you NOT hang out one nite in a wigwam? We were surpised at the amount of space in the tipi. We don't travel light and had more than adequate room for all of our luggage and equipment. This ain't a 'full service' hotel, howver, but a restored landmark. Don't expect a free breakfast in the AM. Since the tipis are well spaced, it was quiet and peaceful and had plenty of room in front for parking.

Room Tip: To, me, it looks like anyone of the tipis would be good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank RoadGhost

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We spent our one night in Holbrook here. I was afraid it would be a nightmare, but it turned out great. We had a two bed teepee, and while things were very cramped, it was clean and functional. My kids weren't thrilled with the old TV or the lack of wifi, but I thought it was nice for one night - truly a one-of-a-kind experience on Route 66.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LexKymom50
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 1, 2012

OK, so a wigwam and a tipi (not teepee) are two different things, but that's what they named it.. get over it. Anyway the place was small but really outstanding. The design was very cool. Park right by your door. Heard warnings about the trains but stayed on the back row and never heard them go by. Bathroom was small but I was fascinated by the mirror hanging at an angle so I had to look up into it. All in all a very cool and unique place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PhilCap
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The original Wigwam doesn't look like this. This is false advertisement, this is a Teepee Motel. Don't be stupid and fall for it. It's okay, it will do for a small town, but please get your history straight and don't fool people. You make Native American Indians look bad. I wouldn't stay here again or visit the town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Route 66 in a concrete wigwam - priceless. I only stayed one night in passing through Arizona on my way to California. The Motel was full; clearly the owners do not charge enough for this unique American experience. I just loved the place. Do not think, hotel, motel, etc. think Americana that is hard to find - and you get a comfortable nights sleep thrown in for free!

Room Tip: Mine was the closest to the railroad. With the air conditioner on, I slept like a log.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rtzan
Ohio
Reviewed August 20, 2012

When we pulled up to the Wigwam Motel, my 3yo was thrilled that he would be staying in a "Cozy Cone"! We'd just come from staying at a casino in Las Vegas so it was a very different atmosphere, just as enjoyable but in a different way. I had been inside the wigwam while my husband was outside, and he came in to say that he thought the train would bother us that night - my response was "What train?" I hadn't even heard it through the thick concrete walls of the wigwam! Later, if I listened, I could hear trains go by but they did not disturb us at all. The A/C unit was a little loud but tolerable; in cooler weather, I'd have opened a window to enjoy the fresh air. My son enjoyed the old cars sitting around and we took lots of photos. As others have said the decor inside is largely original so if you are looking for an up-to-date stay, this is not what you are looking for; if you want a clean room with fun and nostalgia, this is the place! They did seem to be repainting the outsides of the wigwams, but in the same style as the original as far as I can tell. The lights do go out at night so take photos early!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dog Show Traveler
Dunstable
Reviewed August 17, 2012

If you're looking for luxury and amenities, look elsewhere. However, if you're looking for a slice of original Route 66 history, and a quirky place to stay, look no further. Seemingly unchanged for decades (apart from the wifi!), the wigwams have classic cars in various states of decay dotted around outside. Inside, wigwams are fairly small, with a tiny but functional shower room. A/C is provided but it's old and noisy. We kept it on all day to get the room cool, then turned it off at night. The thick concrete walls and tiny windows meant the wigwam stayed cool enough to sleep all night.
Only real minus point is that this motel is near the train tracks, and trains run all night. If you're a light sleeper they will wake you up a few times in the night.
This place is great value for money.

Room Tip: You'd be better with a wigwam near the road (which is quiet) than near the train tracks at the b...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple