1,031 results
All reviews old cars classic cars unique experience take pictures one night tee pee cozy cone wig wam route experience cool place route history bucket list fun place to stay movie cars small museum rooms are small classic route
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Passed the Wigwam many many times over the last 10 years but never had the time to stay there until June.
Having stayed in lots of Route 66 mom & pop motels my expectations were not that high, but I was shocked at the condition of the bathroom it was really dirty the grout in the tile was disgusting and looked like it has never been cleaned, also the towels were discoloured and threadbare, my husband got an electric shock when he switched the batroom light on !!!
The owners are only on site for a limited time each day so if you have a problem it's hard to get it addressed. ( a sign in the window tells you to call 911 in an emergency yet there is no phone )
The AC was so loud it was unusable,
While we were there lots of folk drove through and just took photo's I wish we had done that instead of staying there,
Beacause Its such an iconic part of Route 66 I feel the owners are taking advantage of the fact that road travellers will stay there but beleve me there is no way I would stay there again, nor will I book it for my group for next years Route 66 trip. I am sure there will be cleaner options and yes I will continue to support Mom & Pop motels

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Tried to book a room here last summer during a family trip to the Grand Canyon. Called several days in a row before I reached someone. I was planning our family trip along old Rt. 66, and was flexible with my dates and had about 2 weeks of availability to play with. I named off 2 dates that I was interested in, and the gentleman on the phone sounded like he was flipping through a reservation book and replied "no, we're full those days". I named off a different date during that week, and was told the same thing, "nope, full". I told him of my disappointment and that we were really looking forward to staying there to complete the Rt. 66 experience, so I named off a few dates of a different week hoping I could change our travel dates to be able to stay there. He again sounded like he was flipping through a reservation book, but the same answer "no, sorry, we're full". Hmmm.. strange. I didn't have any problems finding availability at any of the other hotels along the way. Oh well, I just figured they must be a popular tourist destination during the summer. It didn't stop us from stopping by though on our way through AZ . I HAD to go there to take a few pictures at least! To our surprise, it was completely deserted (about noon). Not a car or person to be seen (except for the decorative classic cars parked outside each of the wigwams). This was on one of the dates that I had been told was full. What's up with that? I completely understand that these old places are privately owned and operated, and that the owners do have lives and need to take time off, vacations, etc., but I would much rather have been given an honest answer than "sorry, we're full", or at least given me some dates they did have availability. When things like that happen, I can't help but think something more is going on? Regardless, the place is very cool looking. Great photo opp! I peeked in one of the windows, and the place is definitely old, and not the greatest location or neighborhood. However, if you're staying in one of the countries only retro "wigwam motels", you're likely not staying there for the luxury/ cleanliness/convenience. You're likely staying there because it's very cool and nostalgic. I'm just glad that places like this still exist. I just wonder why it looks so deserted when they claim to be open??

Room Tip: call to see if they are in fact, open at all
Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank mcamy
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Its difficult to compare the wigwams,they are comfortable and cosy ,the shower is small but all the facilities work well,we used the rather large air con unit to put are drinks on as it was not needed.Its a one off place .A step back to halcyon times of our youth.Long may it survive .If you want new go under the road to the top of town where new hotels are being built..If you like route 66 this the place for you.I cannot recommend the nearby steak house --did not have a very good meal.

Reviewed June 17, 2011

After zooming past Holbrook on previous trips, decided to take the time to reserve a "tee-pee" here. Cute place! Comfy beds! No king-size beds, so my husband and I opted for 2 double beds. We were glad that we had made a reservation in advance, as other families tried to get a "room" when we arrived (on a Wednesday night) and were told that all 16 units were already booked. Office has limited hours (4-9 PM when we were there). No ice machines, but they will give you a bag of ice in the office. No Internet. Basic TV. Small but adequate bathroom. Classic cars in front of each unit. No restaurant, room service, spa or pool. An interesting experience!

1  Thank Bunnidancer
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Stayed here one night during route 66 adventure, its old and tired but it is a piece of route 66 history not to be missed. I am sure there are better accommodations in Holbrook, but who wants to say they traveled 66 and stayed at the best western? We stayed in wigwam #3 and would stay there again next time we travel through Holbrook. If you are not into the route 66 experience, this is probably not the place for you. Office hours are limited, (I think 3pm till 9 pm) I stayed in Gallup N.M. the previous night, drove old 66 the next morning, visited the painted desert and petrified forest, and arrived at the wigwam shortly before 3pm. after a few minutes a young lady arrived to open the office. check in took only a couple of minutes. I liked the nostalgic atmosphere at night as I sat outside listening to the trains, surrounded by antique cars bathed in neon light, it made me feel as if I had gone back 50 years in time. stay here for the experience, not the luxury.

Room Tip: Arrive as close to 3 pm as possible
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple