“Awesome slice of American History”
Review of Wigwam Motel

Wigwam Motel
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Holbrook
Reviewed November 29, 2007

I've stayed at the Wigwam hotel in Holbrook, AZ twice now. Once on my honeymoon trip in July of 2001 and again with my husband, 17-year old son, and mother in June of 2006.

Both times the experience was exceptional. If you're expecting the Ritz Carlton or the Hilton, you'd be better served just visiting the property and taking some pictures for your scrapbook on the way to those properties, because it won't be for you.

However, if you're at all interested in American history and what things might have been like before big chain hotels and interstates, this is a must-do! The proximity to Painted Desert and Petrified Forest is a great perk, not to mention all the Route 66 kistch to be found on a wonderfully maintaned part of the Mother Road.

The current owner is the son of the original owner and takes great pride in this fact - as he should. He's got great stories, wonderful pictures and an exceptional perspective on this American Landmark.

The train noise didn't bother us on either of our stays, my son loved the fact that he got to stay here and it remains one of the more talked about parts of our HUGE road trip of 2006 (Denver to Denver in 7 days, while visiting UT, NV, AZ, NM and CO in the process).

Usually I'm a fluffy pillows and comfy bed type of gal, but this motel
is still one of my favorite places in the entire US.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank RikkiLeigh
There are newer reviews for Wigwam Motel

Reviewed November 25, 2007

My husband and I wanted to spend the night somewhere special for our anniversary. We had flown into Vegas the night before and rented a car. Our plan was to visit the grand canyon but after finding out about the Wigwam, we had to go a little further down the road. We left Vegas around 9:00 am and arrived in Holbrook around 4:00. Of course we made a couple of stops (we had to stand on the corner in Winslow Arizona!) but got there before nightfall. It was great. Yes the room was small, furnishings were old and you had a sloped shower, but hey, your in a WIGWAM! The beds were comfortable, we could hear the train but it didn't bother us. There was room for two double beds a couple of tables, a desk and a tv and yet we never felt cramped. We were amazed at the petrified wood orb the owner had in his office, he said it took a man 2 years to make. They also had a little musuem in back of the office with several interesting items. The old cars out front really made you feel like you had stepped back in time. We also enjoyed a great dinner at the Butterfield's steakhouse. Also don't miss the petrified forest and painted desert only about 30 miles away-well worth the drive, and on the way back take a stop at the giant meteor crater-it's really BIG. All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at the Wigwam, and hope to come back and stay again soon.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 2havefun
Reviewed November 17, 2007

I read about this motel just like so many people. I drove up to it ans started talking pictures and it was just so cool. What a piece of Americana. It was early in the night and I had not planned on staying here but after looking inside of one of the Wigwams, I had to stay there. The person who runs it now is the son of the builder. He will tell you all about the history of the motel. There are many vintage cars in front of the Wigwams and in front of the office. The room, although old, was very clean. I have never seen such a place like this, much less ever stayed in a piece of history. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to experience a slice of Rt 66.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank redhdking
Reviewed October 29, 2007

If you want a change from anonymous hotel rooms this place is a must! A little faded around the edges but it wins hands down on novelty value. The wigwams are cosy and clean, if a little compact, and the prices very reasonable. It's easy to find on the main road into Holbrook from Interstate 40; we arrived at about 6pm and got the last room. Our guidebook mentioned train noise (the railway runs almost right behind) but it didn't disturb us at all. The ambience is helped along by classic American cars parked outside every wigwam, it's very picturesque. When we left in the morning the car park was full of fellow guests all taking photos; don't forget your camera!

There are no catering facilities, but we picked up breakfast items from the Safeway just across the road and there are a couple of restaurants close by (although beware of the Butterfield Steak House which adds service to the bill, so don't tip!).

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank TRC3
Reviewed October 16, 2007

We stayed there this summer for a night and had a very restful sleep despite a very nasty storm outside. The rooms are dated however very clean, but i would say they are more historic or rustic. We were following route 66 as best we could and took advantage of the facilities offered in Holbrook before carrying on. I look forward to staying there again someday.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chuckrcm
Reviewed October 16, 2007

I have a faint memory of staying at the Wigwam back in the 50's with my parents when I was a little kid. When my son & I "did 66" in 2003 we knew the Wigwam was an essential overnight, and we were not disappointed. Most of the old 66 motels are pretty run down but the Wigwam is well maintained and still has historic route 66 flavor all over it, right down to the old cars parked around the lot. The Wigwam is my favorite motel between Chicago and LA.

Stayed: September 2003
3  Thank Urumburu
Reviewed October 15, 2007

It sounds like the owners have started renovating the wigwams, and it couldn't be soon enough. They certainly are getting a bit tired -- which is a shame, because the property is such a wonderful piece of Americana. I've stayed here 3 times -- 2 times more than I would have had the kids not loved it. The unrenovated rooms are essentially a one-star motel. Not horrible (and at least relatively clean, if you ignore some mold and paint issues), but not great. At least the beds tend to be OK. Bathrooms probably need the most work, with some serious water pressure issues in many of the wigwams.

Picky people should definitely stay away. Route 66 buffs, and those travelling with kids, will probably be the happiest. Have the kids see the "Cars" movie before their stay -- the hotel is the Cosy Cone in the film. For everyone else it's, well, an experience. Here's hoping I get a renovated wigwam next time!

Stayed: October 2007