“Pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

Who would think that a motel in Heber, Arizona would be like this? We spent one night there and it was clean, quiet, comfortable bed, great breakfast , all in all a very nice experience and we have no reservations about recommending this place.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

This is our 3rd stay at the Sawmill Inn. The quality of the room and service has continued to be consistently good. Room was very clean with all furnishings in great condition. Would not hesitate to recommend to friends and our plans are to stay here again on our annual trip to Arizona to visit family. It is always nice to see a familiar face behind the front counter in the lobby. Room charge was exactly as stated during reservation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pipbailey
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

We were on our way to Scottsdale, AZ from Ohio and were pretty exhausted from a long drive. I believe this Best Western was one of 2 hotels in the area. I had signed up for a rewards card from Best Western online but they couldn't locate my membership. The man at the front desk was really nice, gave us a great rate, and even signed me up again for the rewards so we could start accumulating them right away. Our room was a non-smoking room and was nice and clean. It had a small refrigerator and microwave which was great for us to store our drinks and meals we had brought. We didn't hear anything from our neighbors which was nice just besides an occasional child running past the window or the exterior door. This Best Western didn't have a pool, but we didn't mind because we were all so tired. They had a nice continental breakfast in the morning and check out was a breeze. If we pass through this way again, we would definately stay here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

If I could give negative stars I would. I booked this hotel for a one night stay on our way to Greer. I booked using priceline and got the hotel for $60.00. The advertised price was $64.95. Upon booking I called to make my request for a non smoking two bed type. While I understand there are no guarantees when you use priceline, I've NEVER had an issue as long as there was availability. The woman I spoke to kept telling me that I booked my reservation for a smoking king room and I would have to pay 10 dollars extra in order to get a non smoking room because the rates for non smoking queen rooms were higher. This was lie number 1. I reluctantly agreed because I had two children under the age of 5 and was NOT going to subject them to a smoking room. After I hung up the phone, I checked the website. The room I was requesting was the cheapest rate they had and cheaper than the room they were going to give me. So I called back and again tried to find out why they were charging me MORE than their advertised rate for the cheapest room. She decided to call her manager. She then called back and said there was nothing they could do and that I would have to take it up with priceline if I wanted to change the room. I informed her I couldn't because it was a name your own price rate and she stated she'd have the manager call me back but that they were not going to change the room type. I asked her if the problem was that the hotel was full because that I could understand. She told me yes the hotel was completely booked. Lie #2. The manager never called me.

I checked Priceline's policy about non smoking and it states that the request is ALWAYS made for non smoking and was based on hotel availibility. Upon our arrival at 10:30pm, we counted 15 cars in the parking lot in a hotel with 43 rooms. I was told my reservation was for the 1 king smoking and I again requested a non smoking room. At this point I didn't care whether there was 1 bed or 2 I just didn't want my children in a smoking room. She asked if I wanted one bed or two. Of course I asked for 2 and she told me it was going to be an additional fee. She didn't see where I had prepaid for the room so she got the manager. At this point I began to discuss the ridiculousness of making me pay an "upgrade" fee for a room that was technically a downgrade according to their own site. He started talking about how he could be fined by priceline if he changed my room. A lie...I've had upgrades in hotels almost EVERY time I've booked through priceline. He pulled out a piece of paper that had a priceline logo on it, told me he coudln't show me part of it and covered it with his hand. (in my personal opinion, I bet this showed a request for non smoking) He showed me a line that said something about changes in the reservation such as date etc needed to be made with priceline. The verbage said nothing about bed type.

He then told me that I needed to understand things from his point of view. Priceline was taking a commission from my hotel rate. Well I understand that, but I didn't force the hotel to agree to use priceline. I kept telling him that the price for the room I was requesting was LESS than the room he was giving me. He stated that he sets aside a block of rooms for Priceline to sell. I stated that if Priceline's policy is to request non smoking rooms then I think it's pretty terrible that the block set aside is all smoking. He told me that wasn't true. I then asked why I couldn't have one of the non smoking rooms. He again brought up the commission issue. I reluctantly agreed to pay the difference. It was late and I had two children that needed to go to bed.

He told me I would just have to pay the difference between what I paid and the current rate. He wanted me to sign a paper that shows the rate I paid was 50 some dollars and that I would have to pay 15.00 for the non smoking room. At which point I informed him the rate I paid was 60.00 a night and that I should only be paying the 6 dollars more for the room. He again brings up the commission that priceline was taking out of my rate. So NOT ONLY was he going to charge me more for a less expensive room, but he was also going to make me pay priceline's commission to him in addition. A room that should have cost me around $70 was not costing me close to $90.

I told him I understood that priceline customer's are considered the bottom of the totem pole, but if there was room availability I did not understand why he could not give me a non smoking room for the rate I paid. He stated that he had suites in his hotel and that what I was doing was just like if someone came in off the streets and demanded a suite for the cheapest rate. I told him asking for a non smoking room was hardly demanding a suite.

At this point I didn't care anymore about the bed type, I JUST want a non smoking room. He stated he could give me a 1 king non smoking room for "a little bit cheaper" At which point I asked him why he would charge me more for the same bed type only non smoking. Again he brought up the commission. At this point I felt like I was beating a dead horse. I made one last comment about the fact that it was terrible that he made priceline customers take smoking rooms simply because they were priceline customers and it was ridiculous he was making me pay more for my room JUST to have non smoking when the hotel was more than 50% empty. He then stated that they tried to accommodate the priceline non smoking request if rooms were available. I said "There are rooms available!" and he stated there were only queen rooms available. Yet 5 minutes earlier he stated he could give me a king non smoking for "a little cheaper." I had been lied to by his customer service rep at least twice on the phone, and then lied to by the manager. He just gave me the run around.

This manager has lost a customer for life. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. He may have gotten his $15.00 priceline commission back, but has lost a multitude of business. We had 3 groups of family members on their way up and we told them to keep on driving to the next town. We had all planned on staying the night we drove back but made the decision to keep on driving. A little customer service and a little less greed by this hotel staff could have earned a whole lot more "commission" with our future business.

Room Tip: Don't use Priceline.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank dicey217
bw_sawmill, Manager at BEST WESTERN Sawmill Inn, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay. Our standard procedure on a per-paid “name your own price” Reservation is to refer guest back to Priceline. This agreement is also posted on Priceline.com. As per Priceline all guest has to click agree twice and review all information before booking is complete. Everything that was stated in Priceline reservation was provided. You booked room for 2 people through Priceline but you had total of 4 people with you.

A room on Priceline at Rate $60.00 with tax cost you $72.xx on Best Western website 64.00would cost you $68.xx. This example is based on what you have stated on your review.

You may also be interested to learn that in March we had started a full refurbishment of our guest rooms, and lobby. Included in this refurbishment are brand new guest room carpet, art, tile in vanity area, flat screen TV’s and much more. That is why our availability was very low.

Please feel free to contact myself directly via the below details if you are travelling to Heber again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that the remainder of your trip to White Mountain was most enjoyable.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

I brought a group to stay at this hotel, and it was a great experience. The owner/manager went above and beyond to accommodate each person in our group in every way possible. The staff are all pleasant, the rooms are clean and well-kept, and the management is extremely helpful and well-connected.

I highly recommend this hotel to families, tourists, and business travelers.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Fort Collins, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I didn't need to be in Phoenix until late morn so I took a chance to stay at this place. It was almost half the cost of a Phoenix motel. All I wanted was a good night sleep and I almost got it. Rooms were very clean. Wifi was good. I wasn't thrilled about the dispenser for soap and shampoo, but it was ok. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again next time I'm through.
Hotel staff was very courteous and helpful
Try to get a room towards the back to avoid the highway traffic noise that could be heard through the evening.

Room Tip: Try to get a room towards the back to avoid the highway traffic noise that could be heard through th...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Trailaddict
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

The staff at this motel are extremely friendly and helpful. I have stayed here often and it is one of the best motels I have seen. During my most recent stay, Dave was very helpful in arranging for me to travel back to Phoenix after my vehicle broke down. The rooms are clean and quiet. The breakfast is excellent and the value for the money is outstanding. I recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heber
WorldMark Bison Ranch
WorldMark Bison Ranch
#1 of 2 in Overgaard

Been to BEST WESTERN Sawmill Inn? Share your experiences!