“Cottages do NOT equal The Red Setter Inn”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greer
Red Setter, Arizona's Riverside Retreat
Ranked #2 of 4 Greer B&B and Inns
Arizona
“Cottages do NOT equal The Red Setter Inn”
Reviewed March 2, 2009

We stayed in cabin 64 and I would NOT recommend it at all!! Although we had a great trip, the cabin was not clean, the shower sprayed everywhere, the shower curtain was cloth not plastic, the caulking was in disrepair and appeared to have mold in spots, there were poor patch jobs done on the paneling in the bathroom, the toilet leaked, the kitchen was not well stocked, we had to ask for coffee filters, the faucets leaked (even though they claimed to be GREEN), there was not a dust pan to sweep up the dirt, the carpet was from the 1970's, the stove was dirty, and the room was not serviced. This came as a great disappointment! My husband and I stayed at the Red Setter Inn a couple of years ago, prior to it changing owners. The new owner seems to be trying to capitalize on the previous reputation of the Red Setter Inn. The cabins, at least the one we stayed in, do not equal the Red Setter Inn!! I hope the proprietor plans on spending some money to refurbish his properties.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 23, 2009

My wife and I stayed in room 2 of the Red Setter Lodge for two nights (Saturday - Monday). We found the Red Setter to provide a rustic and relaxing atmosphere. The lodge is located on the banks of the Little Colorado River and has a wrap around deck and two "living rooms" with fire places at which guests can congregate. There are three levels (one room on the top floor), 3 or 4 on the main level, and several more on the lower floor.

We found our room to be rustic yet comfortable. The bed was very nice and there was a fire place in the room. For you tech junkies, no TX exists; however, there is free Wi-Fi so bring a laptop if you must. The only compliant we had was the heating setup. There was no central heat system, the only heat came from the fire place making it either too cold or too hot. This was not a deal breaker for us.

Other perks of staying at the Red Setter include: incredible homemade breakfast, a packed lunch each day per your request, homemade goodies / beverages placed in the dining room everyday, cross country skis and snow shoes are included in your stay, and rocking chairs on the deck to sit and listen to the river.

• Liked — The quietness of the location
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank atfreihoefer
Payson AZ
Reviewed October 22, 2008

While I have never stayed at the Red Setter Inn, two weeks ago, we tried to make reservations there. We wanted a king-size bed or two doubles. We were told that the Inn just had queen beds, but the cottages had two beds.

Disaster. For $40 less than the Inn and no breakfast, we were put in a cottage. This cottage or cabin had not been renovated in 20 or 30 years. It had holes in the carpet. The carpet was dirty. Everything was dirty. The shower was a jerry-rigged plastic hose with a shower head. The hose kept coming off so it was almost impossible to shower. The easy chair and couch were dirty and the couch had about a 10 inch hole in it. The facility had a decent kitchen with a frig and microwave. There was a sign with audacity to tell you to do you own dishes.

If I'd have paid $60-70 for a rustic cabin, I'd have felt fine, but not with the bait and switch at more than twice the price. The cabin seemed to be attached to a different B&B, but we were never told it wasn't Red Setter Inn.

Greer is a beautiful place, but I doubt we'll go back.

• Liked — Ease of access to room.
  • Disliked — Dirty, dirty.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rodney R
Phoenix
Reviewed October 3, 2008

We just returned from a trip including two nights in a luxury cabin #16 Turkey Track at the Red Setter Inn. It looks exactly like the pictures on the web except there was a love seat and rocking chair by the fireplace instead of two chairs like on the web. The cabin had a gas fireplace, a full kitchen, and a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom that fits two. There are no phones and cell phones have spotty service. There is no tv service but free use of DVDs and videos is available to watch in your cabin or room. It was immaculately clean with no maintenance problems. I'm not sure luxury is the correct word but it was very nice for a cabin. It was A frame style cabin with a wrap around porch which provided a view of the Little Colorado River babbling below - the sound of the water was wonderful! A short drive or walk across the little bridge takes you to the Red Setter Inn where our cabin included free breakfast, sack lunches (sandwich, cookie, and chips) and snacks. The people working at the Inn were very pleasant and professional. The Inn was beautiful and CLEAN. I talked to some of the people staying there at the Inn and there were very happy with their accommodations and had no complaints. When I asked the people working there what they thought of the new management, their comments were that it was so much better now - not as many rules for the guests. The kitchen it now open if you need a munchie or access. We took advantage of the free introductory fly lesson offered at the ponds behind the Greer Lodge and enjoyed it. Larry (the instructor) was very patient! Equipment was provided free for guests and the ponds were stalked with rainbow trout with a catch and relase policy for everyone. Autumn in just beginning to arrive in Greer with spots of autumn color starting to appear. We had a wonderful time! The policy for our cabin was that rental was strictly for two people - no children. If I had to be picky, I'd say that the flagstone steps up to cabin need attention - starting to crumble and be unsteady. We would recommend this cabin and will go back for a return visit.

• Liked — The peaceful and serene setting
  • Disliked — no phone access
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LovemyAcura
Heart of Arizona
Reviewed August 22, 2008

I took my husband here for a 4-day birthday weekend, and I would like to respond to the reviews that say that this place is not worth going to, since it changed management. We who will continue to go, are glad you're not there. The property is beautiful, the room (#4) was perfect, the view and the sound of the water (and blissfully rain too) so relaxing, that my husband and I left kicking and screaming. Breakfasts were excellent, staff friendly and helpful, lunches were handy too since we went out hiking and biking and climbing every day. Places for dinner, from the Lodge to Molly's were just fine. No phones, no TV, just time to relax. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MsLazyboy
NY
Reviewed May 22, 2008

I was referred to Red Setter Inn by a friend. I didn’t know what to expect, but my husband and I really wanted to getaway from the city for a few days. We went and had the time of our lives. It was an amazing experience. The amenities were fabulous, the service was impeccable, and the surroundings was just beautiful! I have never had such a great time. I highly recommend Red Setter Inn to anyone!

• Liked — The ambiance and the company!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
Reviewed May 21, 2008

First the cons.
I would have to agree with the previous reviewers that the property is no longer "Fodors Top 10" material. The primary reason was that the food was very good, but not outstanding. The current owner has a pre-planned menu for every day of the week, with no room for creativity.
Now the pros.
First and foremost are the staff. Tara, Janina and Eulene were great. My time with Eulene was very limited but very pleasant. Tara and Janina mainly work the weekends and made my stay very pleasant.
Second is the location. The Inn has the West Fork of the Little Colorado running directly behind it. At this point the river is a small mountain stream. The location is simply beautiful.
I would really like to see the current ownership take advantage of the extremely talented staff to improve the menus with more creative offerings.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Menu
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank SeayPhotography
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greer
Reed's Lodge
Best Western Sunrise Inn
Little Colorado Cabins
Little Colorado Cabins
#5 of 10 in Greer

Been to Red Setter, Arizona's Riverside Retreat? Share your experiences!