“Holiday Inn express at high prices.”

The Greer Peaks Lodge
Ranked #3 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Greer
Reviewed July 26, 2008

Overpriced and under maintained!. The setting is lovely but the prices are too high for the Holiday Inn express amenities. The shampoo was in a tear open package as were the very flimsy plastic drinking cups. The continental breakfast consisted of a little yogurt, a few pies of cut up fruit and still frozen pieces of breads. The coffee left a great deal to be desired and the restaurant was overpriced as well. For being in ranch country the steak was small and stringy for $32!!

The layout is not user friendly as you have to walk through the massage room to get to the hot tubs which may or may not be working. The staff is very friendly but this so needs an upgrade or a major price reduction. Avoid!

Tucsontraveler_8.

July 2008

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank durigirl1

Reviewed June 20, 2008

I happen to go to the Springerville area of NE Arizona on business every 3 or 4 weeks or so and, while there are many mom & pop type hotels or a couple of chain hotels in the area, people told me I really ought to try and stay in Greer at a B&B. Greer is located in the White Mountains of Arizona about 18 miles from Springervile. At 8200 ft. elevation it is wonderful, especially in the summer as I live in Phoenix. There's a snow ski area, Sunrise, about 12 miles away for Winter fun. I've not tried it but know people who say its pretty good.

I tried the "one most advertised" B&B in the area which has an old log building with rooms (nice, but creaky floors so honeymooners beware), a restaurant & bar, as well as operates many cabins but I found them to be just another hotel, albeit o.k. in the cool mountains.

Then someone said try the Amberian Peaks Lodge. They are very friendly and you might like it better. Well I did, and this really is a gem in the mountains. I believe they have 12 or 13 rooms plus they manage 9 or 10 cabins. They have a nice restaurant and, although it was closed when I was there, it was due to open full time in a few days in anticipation of the Summer tourist season. They have a "Cantina" where you can get your favorite adult bevarage. There are 2 outdoor jacuzzi's, a sauna, a game room with pool table and you can book a massage, go horseback riding, or even fly fishing. I could see this would be also a great area to hike in, especially along the trail by the stream that crosses the property.

My room was spacious and modern with a Southwest motif as is the rest of the place. The main room has a big fireplace, plenty of comfy seating and a big screen TV (in fact all the rooms have TV's hooked up to satellite & DVD players).

The biggest asset to this place are the owners, Don & Ann. Very interesting people who interact with the guests.........you are like one of the family. This is what I want in a B&B and not what I found at the other place in town, and the prices are comparable. They were telling me that they are booking more and more weddings with one the weekend before and one coming up this weekend. There's a nice outside deck with magnificent views of the valley.

This is a beautiful area of Arizona and the Amberian Peaks is a great place to bring your spouse or girlfriend.........which I intend to do later this Summer (but not at the same time - just kidding). I'm even looking to possibly have a conference there with some customers as they will rent out the entire place to one group. They also have a conference room which will seat maybe 25 in a classroom setting.

In any event, check them out. I don't think you will be disappointed. There website is <peaksaz.com>.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Greer, AZ is a small town specializing in cabin rentals as a desert get-away or ski vacation town. At 8000+ feet, it offers us Zonies a great retreat. We usually stay in a cabin but this particular visit was for our daughter's wedding and we didn't want to cook, etc. so we chose the Peaks (Amberian lodge). The owners were so gracious and fun that any minor annoyances were instantly forgiven. We had a room with a fantastic view and a fireplace, #308. It's worth the additional $.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank azhottraveler
Reviewed September 1, 2007

The setting is beautiful, however the sauna was not working and the hot tubs were covered up and right under the bar. The games in the game room were either in disrepair or not working. After being told about thier wonderful rib eye steak, they were out of it by our 7:15 dinner reservation. If your staying anywhere near the reception area it is extremely noisy with the TV in the lobby blairing. Hopefully the people in the room above you are quite, as there is little sound proofing. For the money charged I will go else where. If you advertize things they really should be in operable condition and you should actually have the food that you advertize.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank livinginamerica
Reviewed July 19, 2007

We had a wonderful stay at The Peaks. The owners were so kind and accomodating. On our first night there was a very minor problem with our room, and they immediately upgraded us to a larger room at no extra cost for our entire stay. The restaurant at the lodge had very good food. Our kids enjoyed the game room and the always-available hot chocolate in the lobby, and we enjoyed the free wireless service, the massage, and the friendly staff. The setting at the end of the road in Greer was great- we had a beautiful hike right from the back of the lodge, and great fishing was only a few minutes away. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Arizonaprof
Reviewed July 13, 2007

The property in general was nice. We stayed in a cabin. The wonderful view we were told about was of the parking lot. We did enjoy the porch of the cabin regardless of watching everyone coming and going and be watched. The cabin had two bedrooms. One was fine and the other the bedding had not been changed. It happens. I can get over alot but the bathroom was nasty. The shower doors need to be replaced, not cleaned, replaced. The sink needed to be replaced. I wouldn't touch the faucet with my hands. Since it was the 4th and everyone was booked, we were stuck. For paying $500 for two nights I left feeling cheated. I would not go back or recommend this place to anyone. Even after the cleaning staff had made a visit, the shower still had a dirty wash cloth in it that was from the prior visitors. We did have a relaxing dinner at the Greer Lodge and watched the deer from the back patio for two hours, that was worth every penny and the five hour drive from Phoenix.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank roadtripper28
Reviewed September 17, 2006

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this inn. The different types of rooms made it easy to pick one that was perfect for us, the views are outstanding, the staff is courteous and friendly, the food is excellent, and there is easy access to complementary telephone and internet service. The prices are very reasonable for Greer, which we think is the best place to stay in the White Mountains. Having the restaurant and a bar onsite is so convenient, as are the complimentary hot drinks in the lobby (which is very comfortable with its huge fireplace and comfortable couches, chairs and tables). It was great.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends