“Disaster averted...”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Green Valley
Chicago, Illinois
“Disaster averted...”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I booked this hotel, after reading the reports here on Tripadvisor, with a little hesitation. Some of the reports were less then good about it, but Green Valley is not a large town and the choices were limited. I booked their $62 dollar a night/three night special and left the rest to luck. Well as luck would have it we -almost- didn't get much of it.

On arrival the room we were given was like being in a fish bowl. Tiny with only one sliding glass window that over looked a "air shaft atrium" that was four sided. To our left was another sliding glass window that also looked out on to it and we could see in at our neighbor lounging on his bed. If you looked straight through you could see into another hallway and then the parking lot was directly behind it. To the right was a glass wall and the lobby. If you wanted privacy you would have to keep the drapes closed all the time which darkened the room and made me claustrophobic. The size of the room was tiny and I felt as if I was on display.

We immediately returned to the lobby and requested a different room. The person behind the desk apologised and explained that that room actually belonged to a adjoining suite and when not needed was then rented out as a single room.The layout and use were very poor.They exclaimed that what they could do is give us a different room but would have to upgrade us (which was fine with me) and offered another available room.
In the meantime another person waiting to check in over heard our "fish bowl" comment and told them they didn't want a fishbowl room either. ;-) (I found out later that we got the last room like this and they had to wait for a vacancy.)

Thanks to the fact that we were unafraid to speak up we ultimately ended up with a lovely suite of rooms..complete with fireplace, fully complete kitchen with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances, large attached bathroom with a garden tub, patio and close to the pool....all for about $120 a night.

All in all be forewarned that any "specials" at this hotel you should take with a "grain of salt" and be prepared to change to another room.

Overall the property is lovely, the help were friendly, and the disaster was averted so I will give them a "very good" rating.
I would also suggest you eat at their resturant across the road -but- be advised, althought the food is very good, that they need more help and the waitresses were short of help and stretched to their max. Both at breakfast and later in the week at dinner. On Monday nights they have a special..half a pound of King Crab for $24. My husband told me it was excellent. I had the chicken Marsala and it also was very good.

All in all it seems to me that they should hire either more help or -find a different manager-. If they did they would have a 5 star rating on their property.

Room Tip: Also be aware that this location is at the far south end of Green Valley and requires a drive to acc...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank meezer3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here for several nights. As it was a bit pre-season we got a fantastic rate. The suite was large with two bathrooms and a full open kitchen. Everything was new.. lots of granite, a gas fireplace and two TVs as well as very nice views and a small patio. For the price (sub $80 as I recall) we considered it one of the best travel deals we've ever seen.

The only negative thing I can say about the Canoa Resort is that it is a bit isolated and you need to drive up to other Green Valley exits for supermarkets, restaurants etc.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank SWTravels
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We had a pretty good overall stay here. We ran into some issues with managment. We requested some light bulbs be sent up to our room because some of the lights were burnt out and had to be replaced. I was fine with doing this myself but I needed the light bulbs and they never came. The lady at the front desk blew us off.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank joeschmoe4567
East Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I have stayed here for two weeks now, on business. The room has been very quite extreamly clean and comfortable. The staff here have been GREAT!!. I cant say enough about Burnidette. She has been most helpfull, she even resurched places to visit during my stay. This was a walk in at the last minute with out a reservation, and the place has been great. I moved here from another hotel that was a bad experiance, I moved out on the second day. I will be back here again, and next time with the whole family. If you are looking for quite, clean, comfortable rooms, at a great price this is the place to stay, I would also recomend the "Grill on the Green" great food and excellant service. Check it out!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank liltlalbe
Marina, California
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Spent the weekend at Canoa Ranch Resort for a friends wedding and had I not had such a good time with friends, it would have been a very disappointing vacation. First of all, they need to drop 'resort' from their name. Truly this is a hotel that doubles as a few condos that double as a sales office for the surrounding home developments. Of the two golf courses associated with the resort, one is across the street (which was closed for reseeding, but can't really hold that against them) but the other was a 10 minute drive on the other side of the freeway. Difficult for me to call it god resort. As for the spa, well that was just one room that they took the bed out of and set it up to do mani/ pedi's and the massage table was set up in the other bedroom. Not really much of a spa. The pool and hot tub were very nice, well maintained. Liked those a lot.
As for service, we where a little skeptical when first arriving as three of us traveling together specifclly requested our room be adjoining (and had confirmed they would be) arrived to find that two where on opposite ends of the third floor and the third room was on the second floor. So much for togetherness. Other than that our service was good. Any time we called the front desk, they where happy to help and where quick about it too.
As for location, since it was for a wedding, not much choice there but do know that this is a retirement community. The sidewalks are pretty much rolled up by 8 or 9 pm and it's a little bit of a drive to get anywhere that might be open longer.

• Stayed June 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Reserved 2 King sized bed deluxe rooms 3 months prior through Expedia AARP. Upon arrival was given 1 queen and 1 king. The king room was large and what would be called deluxe. The queen was small and not deluxe. The price per room was the same. Our error was not reading the Expedia fine print of not guaranteeing your choice of rooms. There were other problems. The air conditioner was exceedingly loud and blew air right on the head end of the bed at a very strong rate. Of course sleep was impossible. In addition, right along the bedside which was 8 inches from the wall there was a large hook hidden by the drapes which made it a hazard. Management onsite and via phone was uncaring.

Room Tip: Do not use third party reservations.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank coalminer1972
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 8, 2011

The rooms are nice, and the property is very condo-y, which isn't a bad thing, but you should know two things:

1. We were staying, hotel-style, on business for two nights. On the second, somebody actually opened my room door with their key and would have walked in had the hasp not been set. How on Earth does this still happen at hotels?

2. You know the new internet thing? Yeah, me too, and I use it for work several hours a day, traveling or not. The Canoa Ranch gives you a little desk with a power outlet for your laptop, but no internet hookup or wi-fi. Should you need internet, there's a 6' cable coming out of the phone, across the room and behind the nightstand, to plug into. It doesn't reach to the desk, but it reaches the bed, that fluffy thing that causes laptops to overheat, just fine.

3. Now, they can't do much about this last one: There's very spotty and sometimes nonexistent 3G data from the property if you're using a smartphone. My AT&T iPhone could occasionally send an email, but not often.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Comfort Inn Green Valley
Comfort Inn Green Valley
#5 of 5 in Green Valley
Desert Diamond Casino Hotel

Been to Wyndham Green Valley Canoa Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!