“Only liked the faster than avg internet in lobby”

Best Western Phoenix Goodyear Inn
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Goodyear
Colton, California
“Only liked the faster than avg internet in lobby”
Reviewed May 28, 2006

The place seemed old. The staff was friendly but slow. Called down for extra pillows twice and never received them. Combo shampoo/conditioner turned hair into straw. Mildew on ceiling of shower. Unless you leave curtains open, the AC only cools them off as it points right up at them. Breakfast is supposed to be delivered daily to location, but everything tasted stale and old. My kids enjoyed only the milk and Cheerios, I enjoyed the milk. We could hear the wild travelling sports group two doors down having a party. Luckily, my kids and I were asleep when my husband heard the couple next door yelling while having sex. The only thing I appreciated was the free internet & printer in the lobby. It was faster than most hotels I've experienced and I was able to surf the internet - well - sites that weren't deemed BLOCKED by their web-blocker...like the official city park website of Phoenix?!?!

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank serenaviolet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Chantilly, Virginia
Reviewed February 3, 2006

I spent a week at the Best Western in Goodyear, AZ. It was my first trip to the greater Phoenix area, so I really didn't know what to expect. When I first arrived, the hotel was packed, and finding parking near my room was an immediate challenge. When I opened the door to my room I was happy to see a clean looking room. I was pleased to see that the room had a refrigerator and microwave available. Next, as I always do when I first enter a hotel room, I unpacked my laptop computer. I fired it up on the convenient desk in the room. I looked around the desk area for a place to plug in my network cable, but couldn't find one. I searched all over the room, then finally realized that the network jacks were located in the base of the lamp sitting on my desk. Apparently the idea is to have network connectivity over the power lines in the hotel. Well, to my surprise, I got no connectivity when I plugged into the lamp. Undaunted, I slapped my wireless network card into my laptop and quickly scoured the airwaves for network access. Sure enough, I found an access point, seemingly located in another room in the hotel. The connection was not stable, and very slow, but it seemed to work. Then I realized it didn't support anything except basic web traffic... I couldn't use the normal AOL Instant Messenger client at all. I also could not use my company's VPN client, which presents a real challenge to us business travelers.

When I woke the next morning and was getting ready to head off to a day of important business meetings, I grabbed the iron and ironing board from the bathroom area. I was extremely disappointed to find that the iron didn't work at all. I spent quite a while trying to get it to heat up, to no avail. I left a note for the maid service letting them know the iron did not function, and I headed off to work in my clothes still wrinkled from my flight to Phoenix. I was happy to see a brand new iron placed in my room when I returned, however. The new one worked great the rest of the week.

In the bathroom, I was disappointed to see that the air vent was located right above the towl rack, and that dirt had fallen or blown down from the vent and onto my clean stack of towls. I also had trouble finding the hotel-provided soap, but after searching I found it carefully tucked away in one of the decorative towl folds. Perhaps it should have been placed out on the bathroom sink countertop like most hotels do. The shampoo was provided in a dispenser wall mounted in the shower.

I was very pleased with the complimentary morning breakfast. The staff passing through the breakfast area were especially friendly and willing to meet all the guests needs. The food at breakfast was fresh, making it a great start to each morning.

So overall the staff was pleasant and professional. On only one brief occasion was I not able to locate any help at the front desk.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank Michael W
London
Reviewed October 31, 2005

Room was clean and spacious. Restaurant (Hoot & Howl) serves good food. Complimentary breakfast was good also. Pool area is a little tired but this could be because of the time of year that we visited.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank rise63
Monroeville, New Jersey
Reviewed March 31, 2005

My wife and I had to attend to a family emergency in Goodyear and had to make last minute reservations at this hotel as all the others in the area were booked. Our room was OK. It had a fridge, microwave, coffemaker, iron, and the shower had good pressure. We also found the room itself to be very quiet. We heard no outside noise at all and no noise above us. On the downside, the AC was barely working (I'm glad we weren't staying here in July). Also, the maid service wasn't that great and the hotel itself looked like it was in need of an overall facelift. Also, I thought the price was way out of line for our room. We paid $120 per night for an average room that wasn't worth much more than half that. However, we were in a bind so we had no choice. Finally, as to the bar (the Hoot and Hollar) it was certainly an interesting place. After a tough day dealing with family matters, we stopped in for few drinks to unwind. This is a real blue-collar place where the locals hang out. My wife and I actually had a great time and met some interesting charecters there with real local flavor, but it's definitely not for everybody.

7 Thank coolbreezeken
SAN DIEGO
Reviewed March 29, 2005

Since everyone has different priorities I always like to give both the good and the bad about a hotel, then you can decide for yourself if this is a place you'd like to stay or not. I'll start with the bad.....The first room we were assigned to smelled musty and had a huge scaffolding outside the sliding door. We asked to be moved and were accomodated. The second room smelled better but there were many stains on the carpet and the carpet needed vacuuming. The bathtub drain stopper did not work. There is a bar attached to the hotel with an outdoor sitting area. At 2:00 am a bunch of drunks were sitting outside hooting and hollering. We called to complain and the noise continued for another half hour before the police were finally called in, so if you like to get a good night's rest, ask for a room away from the bar. The continental breakfast was nasty. Old, sticky donuts and cereal and toast was about all that was offered. We ate breakfast out instead. You could feel the springs through the mattress on the beds, ouch! This hotel is in an older part of town. All the other hotels, Hampton, Holiday Express, etc. were north of the 10 and surrounded by much nicer atmosphere, new restaurants, shopping, etc...

Now for the good.....We have two small, clean, quiet dogs that we travel with..There are several nice grassy courtyard areas to take the pooches to do their business. The parking backed right up to our hotel door. The room was laid out nicely, if not slightly crammed full of furnishings. There was a desk with executive chair, armoire, table with chairs, refrig, microwave, sitting bench. The lobby area was nice and so was the staff. It was close to Estrella Park which is why we stayed there for a doggy event.

So, would we stay there again? My husband says nope, I say maybe. I really liked the grassy dog area and the layout of the rooms. He hated the bar noise.

• Stayed March 2005
5 Thank DebbeyB
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 26, 2004

We stayed here on our way through to San Diego.

Nice hotel. We were very impressed. Rooms were clean, grounds were clean. It's in a nice quiet area.

However, the pool was a little dirty. I never like to see mold/mildew between the tiles of a pool. AND they have all these beautiful nectar blooming plants right by the pool.
We were being dive bombed by bees the entire time. They were everywhere. After that stress.....we decided we'll go eat at the restaurant in the hotel (growl & ? grill). Not good!

I ordered $10 fajitas that looked like they reheated a frozen Lean Cuisine fajita entree. My husband ordered the chicken basket for $7+ and ended up getting what my daughters get off a kids menu....three small chicken strips. Service was poor......asked for more water three times to 2 different people, but finally just paid the bill, spared the tip and left.

• Stayed June 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 16, 2003

When I arrived at this hotel, I was surprised to see all the work being done on it's outside. It looked like a new construction and concerned me that it might be disruptive. I inquired about it and learned that the hotel was recently acquired by a new owner who was upgrading everything. I was not bothered at all. If fact, I was very impressed by the attitude of the staff. Never have I met friendlier people. They were cordial and professional. I was especially impressed by the exitemet the staff exhibited about the new Restaurnant they were opening in the fall. Sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to see it!I enjoyed my stay here. The surroundings were relaxing and very peaceful but the staff really made my stay.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goodyear
Quality Inn & Suites Goodyear
Comfort Suites Goodyear
Comfort Suites Goodyear
#2 of 9 in Goodyear
Hampton Inn & Suites Goodyear
TownePlace Suites Phoenix Goodyear
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Goodyear-West Phoenix Area
Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix/Avondale

Been to Best Western Phoenix Goodyear Inn? Share your experiences!