“Surpassed my expectations”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Goodyear
Sylmar, CA
“Surpassed my expectations”
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Looking at the outside of the hotel I must say I was hoping the inside of the hotel was nicer than the outside. When I walked into the lobby I must say I was very surprised. The lobby was beautiful and service was quick and excellent. Within 2 minutes i had the keys to my room in my hand. I was in room 103 and it was a beautiful room with a view of the pool. I walked in to a nice clean room that was very comfortable right away. It was like being at home. The beds were very comfortable. The pillows were perfect to my liking. The TV was a good size and it had a lot of channels to choose from. The mini fridge kept our drinks really cold too. I didnt get to try the free breakfast due to being on a tight schedule, but I did try the Hoot and Howl Grub n Pub and it was really good. We had gotten the sampler platter and everything on it was so good. The bartender was a lil slow cuz she was mingling with the regulars, but not too slow where it was the point to complain. All in all, I must say that I had a great stay at this hotel and I would recommend it 100%!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VegasPhanatik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Bella Vista, Arkansas
Reviewed April 29, 2009

Ok. I admit it. I'm not a big Best Western fan. The problem is that the properties are inconsistent. In one city a BW might be spectacular, and in another it might be a disappointment (and that's being polite!)

While traveling to Goodyear Arizona on business and looking for lodging we found that the Best Western's prices we less than HALF the price of other chains in the area (Hampton etc.) Upon arrival at the hotel, we actually drove around the exterior.

I'll warn you, this place is NOT particularly impressive from the outside. There are some exterior corridors, and in some rooms there are "room" air conditioning units sticking out onto the patios.

We actually asked one another if we should cancel, chalk it up to experience, and call the Hampton Inn. THANKFULLY we at least decided to walk into the lobby before we did this. The lobby was completely remodeled with Southwestern theming, attractive wooden furniture etc. The front desk staff was very friendly and attentive. She offered restaurant suggestions nearby etc.

So we decided to stay. Upon entering my room I found a recently refurbished space with more attractive wood furniture, nice bedding, pillow-top mattresses, fridge, and microwave. Good internet access.

I sat by the pool for a while. It was clean and nicely landscaped. Patio furniture was clean and in good repair and the umbrella also clean (that is, to me, one of the acid tests to determine whether or not hotel management puts a premium on cleanliness).

The on-site restaurant was cleverly themed and the food was reasonably good and well priced. (Although I recommend driving down the street to the Wildflower Bread Company -- neat place!)

This hotel is a short distance from the Phoenix raceway, Lockheed, Oxford and Lufthansa training academies, and the Goodyear Airport area.

If the hotel management puts some time and money into a pretty hard-core EXTERIOR refurbishment including landscaping, this hotel will be a rock star. Right now, i'd consider it a best kept secret -- because if I was just driving by I wouldn't have stopped.

Give it a try. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
California
Reviewed April 4, 2009

As a solo woman traveler, I stayed here for only one night. The staff was very friendly, and the overall hotel was in good shape and well kept. You can tell it's old but it has been updated nicely. The room was fantastic, though the air-conditioning seemed a little fussy. I liked the fact that the room I stayed in was located on an inner hallway which required a key to get in. However, the entrance to the building was around the back of the hotel and a bit dark. While I never felt unsafe, it made me slightly uneasy, especially since the houses adjacent to the hotel had bars on the windows. That said, I felt perfectly comfortable in the room, which was VERY comfortable and clean. The complimentary breakfast was tasty. They offered toast, fruit, doughnuts, cereal, biscuts and gravy, HB eggs, juice, milk and coffee. It ends at ten and I went at nine thirty and had plenty to choose from. The location was perfect since I was only using the hotel as an overnight stay on my longer cross-country trip. It is right off of the freeway, easy to find (even though the exit at the time was closed), and surrounded by shopping and resturaunts. I would absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank TravelJunkie2579
ohio
Reviewed March 31, 2009

We were not sure what to expect but we were pleased when we go our room. The room was updated and clean. We had a small problem when checking in but it was taken care of and the staff was pleasant.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed March 22, 2009

I stayed here only because everything else in the west valley was completely booked. The air force base had an air show, spring training was in full force. No one had openings. i thought the price was very high for a best western, but hotels...even motels... in phoenix are very expensive on average. especially in goodyear. after i got over the price shock...this best western,,,..like the many others I've visited.... was actually a pleasant surprise. It seems like it's a bit older...like many of them....but it was very quiet and peaceful. it was cozy...the staff was very friendly. they even held a room for me without a credit card(over the phone)...when I came in she had my name written down on paper. The bed was hard, but other than that it was nice.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
New England
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Nice hotel. On second night of stay, personnel at front desk were very rude. As I10 eastbound ramp was closed I asked the best way to get to i10 east and both people behind counter said "I don't know". Now I do not live in Arizona and these people must. To top it all off, they put over $100 extra charge on my credit card and they cannot explain why (even though I did not authorize the charges) I am having a difficult time having them remove the charges. Beautiful site - - but I would not recommend anyone staying here.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Service - People
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank FirthD
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 9, 2008

My family and I stayed here 7 days while we were waiting to move into our new home. The hotel was convienently located for us and was the only hotel we found that would accept pets. The rate was $129.99 for a room with 2 queen beds. The room was nicely decorated, they had remodeled the rooms about a year ago (except for the popcorn ceiling, lol!).
The experience we had with the room overall was good, the only complaint I had was that housekeeping kept giving us only 3 towels each day, and there were 4 of us. No one in housekeeping spoke english, and my spanish is not so good, so we had to call the front desk everyday to ask for more towels.
The bad part of the stay was with the free continental breakfast served ...and with the onsite restaurant. The breakfast is probably the worst I have seen. They had cereal, bagels, donuts, juice, and coffee. Breakfast is from 6am till 10am.
We went in the first day at 8am and there were no plates, we waited about 15 minutes for someone to come around, only to be told that they had no more plates.
Day 2 we went in for breakfast and while getting some juice a woman next to me was getting some cereal for her small child and the all three cereal containers came crashing down on the little boy. He was ok...but how they the cereal comtainers displayed was an accident waiting to happen. This is when I realized that the apple juice I had been drinking had something floating in it. I went to take a look at the juice container and saw that there was what looked to be dried milk on the bottom that had not been cleaned properly. I waited about 10 minutes for someone to come over, I let the hostess know what I found. She returned with a fresh container, but I was not going to drink it. They have a small breakfast menu( 5 items) that you can order off of if you want a hot breakfast. I ordered the biscuits and gravy, only to be told they have not had biscuits for over a month.
I went to complain to the front desk about these events and was pleased when they offered 50% off my stay for the bad experience i had. When I go to check out I am told that this was a mistake on the employee's part. The employee should have only agreed to one day at half price, not the entire 7 day stay. Needless to say I was not happy at being told one thing and not having that honored.
If you are staying one or two nights here , I would say this is an average place, any longer than that things start to not look so great. Such as the kitchen staff smoking in the kitchen, which I saw several times on my way to my room, yes they had the kitchen door open, but they were inside...GROSS!!!!

• Liked — The room had been recently remoldeled
  • Disliked — The breakfast and the onsite restaurant
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Amber G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goodyear
Quality Inn & Suites Goodyear
Comfort Suites Goodyear
Comfort Suites Goodyear
#2 of 9 in Goodyear
Hampton Inn & Suites Goodyear
TownePlace Suites Phoenix Goodyear
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Goodyear-West Phoenix Area
Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix/Avondale

Been to Best Western Phoenix Goodyear Inn? Share your experiences!