“You don't get more authentic”
Review of Libby's El Rey Cafe - CLOSED

Libby's El Rey Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican
Surprise, Arizona, United States
“You don't get more authentic”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I went back for my 30 year class reunion and I'm be damned if El Rey isn't exactly the same after 30 years. Same great food, same dumpy tables, same horrible decor, everything. It's like going to a restaurant in Mexico. I ate until I burst, as many items as I could. Everything was as excellent as I remembered. They still had the local twists on Mexican food which you will only find in the Globe area, butter nachos and butter tortillas. I hope they don't change a thing.

Visited October 2013

Tucson, Arizona, United States
“Five minutes after opening no tamales, waitress not informed”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We arrived 5 minutes after they opened, several people were already seated. Obviously very popular place. They brought us fresh chips, the chips were good. Next time we will try the buttered chip option. The 2 sauces they brought with chips were good. The waitress took our order in a timely manner, but we ordered a meal that included tamales, and the waitress had to come back to tell us they did not have tamales. We changed our order and the food was very good. However, We had to wait a while for it to arrive. When waitress took our order (second option) she said she hoped she could get our order in before the large group in another section so we would not have too long to wait. Obviously she was not successful. What we had was very tasty. Not too spicy. We will plan another visit in the future. This is a very small restaurant. We did not need to use restrooms so I cannot review that part of restaurant.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Service was very slow”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

It took a half an hour to get a chicken and cheese quesadilla, and it was not that busy. There were flies all around me and I could not enjoy my meal because of it. Lacking in attention and cashier unfriendly.

Visited August 2013
Los Angeles, CA
“Mexican comfort food”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Based on the online rave reviews, I chose to have dinner here after a long day of visiting cliff dwellings and other national monuments. The service staff was attentive and friendly and the food was absolutely what the doctor ordered after a couple of days of eating drive-through on the run. I had a tamale with some amazing red sauce, a chile relleno, and rice and beans. As others have noted, the decor is very run-down, but if a place is clean, I don't judge the book by its cover.

Queen Creek, Arizona
“unkept”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I chose this little place just because of the reviews. I was so disappointed. I have to wonder how they pass a health inspection? I used the ladies room. There was no soap in the dispenser, (employees wash their hands, how?) the toilet roll just sat on a board on the wall and the curtain was flipped up over the rod with the window open and that was your AC. The day we arrived the waitress noticed me fanning myself and said "are you warm?) I said I don't think your AC is working and she checked and it wasn't. She told another gal and her response was " well the air is blowing."
On a good note the beans and rice were good and I do believe you get plenty for your money. The prices are very reasonable. The waitress we had was pleasant. While I don't mind a bit of old fashioned & rustic I do mind clean because after all they are handling my food and yours. I would just like to see some cleanliness and upkeep in this establishment .