“NIce hotel great option if you do not need to be in Phoenix proper”

Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Glendale
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“NIce hotel great option if you do not need to be in Phoenix proper”
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Very nice large property. Good staff. Excellent workout facilities with a wonderful lap pool. Rooms are large and comfortable with terrific beds Perfect access to the stadium if you are going to a game or a concert. The adjacent shopping area has some good dining options.
drawback: cheesy $12.95 daily charge for internet access in rooms. Free in lobby, but it cuts out frequently, forcing a reboot and the front desk staff seemed unconcerned about this issue.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed September 26, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a night at the Marriott Renaissance feeling angry and disappointed! We were in Phoenix for one night for my birthday. We stayed at this hotel a few years ago and had a positive experience, so we decided to return. What a mistake! We called the hotel the afternoon of our stay. We asked them to hold the room, since we knew we'd be arriving late. We were told that it wouldn't be a problem--that we had until 6 am to check in. We reminded them that we requested a king bed--again, we were told that this would not be a problem. We arrived at the hotel at 1 am after spending several hours with a family member in the hospital. There were no king beds available, the hotel was over-sold, and we were told not to take it personally--that it happens there all the time. They were able to put us into a handicapped room with two double beds. The room looked cheap and dated. We could hear our neighbors cough and every time their door closed, our headboard rattled. I am shocked that this is still a four star hotel! It's an over-priced three star hotel in my opinion. I expect much more for $190/night! Needless to say, we will not be returning to this hotel again. It's close to the stadium, but definitely not worth the hassle or the price.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank birthdaygirl925
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Was convention HQ and facilities were outstanding. Rooms and customer service were excellent, but restaurant service was slow more than once during the week. Pool/fitness room was very nice and convenient. Location was fine for us (due to convention) and close to Westgate shopping center, Jobing.com arena and U-Phoenix stadium, but be prepared for a trek if these are not your planned destinations. About 20-25 minutes from Airport on light traffic days.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
San Mateo, California
Reviewed April 15, 2010

The hotel is recently renovated (or new?) and quite lovely. My standard room was quite large, although oddly had a big open area with only a little chair. I could have used a yoga mat in the space!

My room was functional, adequate number of plugs for my computer, cell phone, and bluetooth.

The fitness center was better than average, with about 4 treadmills, 3 bicycles, and 4-6 ellipticals, plus a set of dumbbells and a few weight machines. There also was a Bosu and a few balance balls. I did not use the pools, but the lap pool looked to be adequate size and the outdoor pool was pretty.

I didn't use the spa because the costs were about 15% higher than in my hometown.

The Westgate shopping/dining center next door is very loud. The Coyotes were in the playoffs, and the arena is there, so there was a lot of post-game noise. The next night, there was some sort of giant motorcycle gathering - not sure if this is a regular thing or was a one-time thing, but it was loud. Even without those events, the bars and restaurants have loud music going late. The plaza there has music playing all the time. The hotel has music playing in the lobby and elevators constantly too. In short, if you want a quiet place, this is not it. Bring earplugs to sleep!

If you have business in the area or a conference, this might be your best bet. But if you're visiting for fun and not going to an event at the next-door arenas, then stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank JoKnits
Texas
Reviewed March 27, 2010

This Renaissance is your average corporate-grade place of temporary refuge. It's right next to a college stadium and a shopping area. That may be an attraction or a deterrent, depending on your reason for being in Glendale, which is a bit off the beaten path if you want to enjoy Phoenix or Scottsdale. If you do use the freeways, be aware that the city uses speed cameras, both robotic and manned.

I was assigned a room that overlooked the University of Phoenix's stadium, which iooks like a giant upside-down electric frying pan, but I was there on business, not a view. The room was adequate and clean. The mattress wasn't of "Heavenly" caliber, something many of us have become spoiled by.

Another thing I've apparently been spoiled by is honest, friendly service. I rack up a lot of miles and hotel nights, both in the U.S. and overseas, and this hotel was the first time I failed to get a forgotten item back.

Because the room had only two free outlets on an electrical strip that runs along the back of the desk/counter and I was using both for my computer and phone charger, I used an outlet in the bathroom to charge a camera battery. My bad, as I rushed out of the room in the morning, plumb forgetting about the charger and battery.

I called the hotel that afternoon from Sky Harbor airport and they told me that no other guest had been assigned to 'my' room and they would notify the housekeeping manager. He called me the next day and said the charger/battery hadn't been reported. Guess that's why they're called 'houseKEEPERS.'

Besides being less forgetful, the lesson I learned, and want to share with others, is pack a portable power strip and keep all your electronics attached to that one gadget. I now have a nifty "Monster" brand 6-outlet power strip that cost about $20. The design avoids a dangling power cord and leaves plenty of room for the various devices that need to be plugged up these days.

There's no free parking, so if you do stay here, here's a tip: valet parking is actually less expensive than self-parking. ($10 vs. $11)

If you're having a meeting and dining at the hotel restaurant, the first two hours for visitor parking is $4.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank truesojourner
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed March 24, 2010

This hotel is very nice and is in a fun location. Located at Westgate it offers a variety of things to do on the westside of town. For sports fans, it is right across from the Cardinals stadium and is fairly close to several minor league baseball parks.
Service was very good, food was above average and rooms were nice as well. Pool area and fitness facilitieswere well maintained. I am planning on returning to this hotel on future trips.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Glendale, AZ
Reviewed February 20, 2010

This hotel used to be awesome. I have been staying here a few times a year since it opened. The staff was attentive and would recognize me when I came to stay. The spa treatments were very nice and you would see activity there. Then they must have had a management change or something.

The last two times I came I noticed the spa treatment quality had gone down. I thought one was because it was new years and the tech was tired or cranky, not sure. The rooms were not as clean as usual. Then this summer, I notice they were cutting back on towels, shampoo and little things like that. There was not even a pen in my room.

This will be my last stay unless there is a concert and I do not want to drive. The location is great for that. But, I might stay at the Hampton, also within walking distance.

The “Delighted to Serve” (DTS) operators, need some customer service training. That being said, I think that is part of the management style. I read in a few other reviews about customer service issues and I must agree. Just the way they answer your questions with snarky demeaning remarks and tones put me in a defensive cranky mood. Once I asked if they could find out about when my room would be cleaned because I wanted to work on my project and not worry about picking it up for the maid, the DTS just cut me off and said they had no way of knowing this, they clean rooms for 9 till they finish. Finally, she said she would ask them if they could clean my room next, (with put out attitude) it was already 1:00 pm.

This is just a sample of what I had to put up with. A couple other issues were:

1. Made my reservation a few weeks earlier online. No club rooms were offered online, but being a Marriot elite member I know sometimes they offer it later. Club rooms and suites have microwaves, I really wanted one, because I use them. So, a week before my stay I get the offer to upgrade to club or corner room for a fee. Yes, I choose club. Someone emailed me back said it was not available. So I email her and ask for a corner room (willing to pay, also offered in the upgrade email), she said they were not available, but she made had me set up in a junior suite for no additional charge. Nice.

I get to the hotel, and they put me in a small, obvious beat up room on the 4th floor, we walk in and I asked the bell person if this was a Junior suited, he said, “oh yes”. I knew it was not, because I have stayed in them before. When I call down to the DTS, the girl was not going to help. She wanted to move me to a corner room (now available??) but I would have to pay the upgrade charge. It was just annoying to get promised one thing, and then get a game with this rude DTS girl. After I read my email to her and offered to forward it, she put me in the corner room for no additional charge. The room is nice, but why did I have go through that frustration?

My Marriot profile says High room with extra towels. They put me initially on the fourth floor and 2 towels. They must not pay attention to the Marriot Elite information at all.

It seemed every time I called for something, the DTS was rude. I would much rather call directly for room service or housekeeping myself instead of having to deal with those girls.

The Spa!!! Sad, sad, sad. Had a pretty nice massage one day. The next day I called down for a facial. They set me up for an 11:30 treatment. I get there at 11:00, and then by 11:50 I finally call down stairs and ask when was I going to get my treatment. The receptionist was very sorry, the technician who was to help me never showed up! No one ever checked on me. So she was to discount the service 25% (I verified it was % not $) and set up a 2:00 appointment. I guess I had the same girl that stood me up in the morning, she made some excuse and said she was sorry. I was to have an 80 minute treatment, she got me at 2:15 and finished at 3:15. She had me in a facial mask one time for over 35 minutes and did nothing but clean her room and bang around things. I had these facials before and they usually do your feet and other things, this was terrible!!!!.

So, I get back to my room, check the charge, they still charged me for the 80 minute service, just took off the $25 tip they automatically include. I was not happy and called down, the girl was very sorry, again, and changed the charge to $93. but she had to credit out the $125 the next day for some reason. When I check the next day, she only credited $100. I could not believe these people. I had asked to speak to the manager, and she said she had it all taken care of. I am still waiting for the manager to call me. I do not think it will happen.

Cleanliness of the spa is scary. I came in the previous day about noon for my massage, had locker 11, when I came back the next day for my facial, the girl opened locker 11, my robe and shoes where still in the same place I left them the day before, it was not cleaned and they would have given them out again. After I changed, I noticed my robe was dirty or stained on the inside, it was not from me, and I had on my bathing suit. A spa should pay attention to details like that.

This was a very frustrating stay for me. Ironically, this was supposed to be a relaxing break. I love the location is close to Westgate, so I thought I would try this hotel one more time. My bad mistake.

They would not be in business if it was not for the Arena and Stadium within walking distance.

I think the spa is already in part time mode. I found out, it is not actually staffed. They call people in when they have an appointment. This is too bad, most of the other Marriott’s with spas in the Valley are very busy. They could be also if they would try.

End on a positve note: I think service might be better on weekends when they have a better staff. Plus the view from my room is really nice. Room 935, it is a little noisy from the room above, but he view is awesome!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple