WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa

Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Glendale
Tucson, Arizona
“You better, you better, you bet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

It was all about convenience when we went to see The Who at the jobing.com arena - right next to the Renaissance. Prices were steep for the room and for the bar drinks, but that seemed to be the price of admission since the concert and a conference were competing for resources at the hotel. Staff quickly fixed a stopped shower drain...but unceremoniously dumped the gross snaked flotsam in the room toilet and didn't flush it. (nice....) Nice expensive breakfast - fruit plate and made to order omlette - in the hotel dining room.

Room Tip: hotle self park is $10 and valet $15.. Guests could probably get away with parking in arena parking...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kage1313
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
kage1313,

Thank you so much for your review on our facility. Yes the Who concert tied into another large convention we hosted made the area very busy for us. I'm glad you had an opportunity to take in the amenties of the hotel before the show. I will also follow up with our Engineering department as well in regards to our protocol for service.

Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Korean first
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stadium, shopping, and food are all within two blocks of this hotel. You can walk to everything! if your attending and event at the stadium you will want to look into this hotel. upper levels of this hotel have larger rooms!

Room Tip: 10th floor has taller ceilings
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Blanchardbw,

We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Renaissance. We hope to see you soon!
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Hotel was clean, rooms are nice size, courtyard area is nice place to relax and have a drink, and location is unbeatable. Definitely a great place to stay if going to a hockey game at jobing.com arena or football game at univrsity of phoenix arena because both are walking distance from hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Harmony177

Thanks again for the review on our hotel. We are greatful that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that you come back and stay with us in the near future.
Tucson, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here last December (thankfully no home football game) when traveling to Phoenix to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra at the Jobing.com arena, which is basically next door. The hotel is fairly new, as are all the facilities in the area. There are numerous shops and restaurants within easy walking distance, including a brand new Tanger Outlet mall with about every high end shop one could wish for, and a Cabellas. The Cardinal stadium is a stones throw away to boot.

As mentioned, the hotel is new and clean. The Soleil restaurant in the hotel is quite good with both indoor and outdoor seating. Personally, I had the best rack of lamb I've ever experienced in a public venue. Overall, this is a very nice facility with a friendly and helpful staff, though in an admittedly semi-rural location. However, there is easy access to the 101 freeway and Glendale Avenue, a primary east-west Phoenix artery. Plenty to do and see in the vicinity. We would definitely stay here again should we be in the area.

Room Tip: We had an upper story room facing west. The only complaint was the balcony was enclosed by a solid...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Westernflyer,

Thank you for the kind words on your recent stay at the hotel. We are glad that you had a chance to not only experience the outlets in our facility, but also our area surroundings. We hope that you have an opportunity to come visit us again soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went to the spa for a massage. The massage was good enough, no complaints there, but the spa is not so great. We were the only two people there and I noticed hair in the dirty sinks and hair and toilet paper pieces on the floor in the bathroom. Also, you have to go down this huge staircase to get to the locker room area. What is relaxing about having to climb up a staircase after a spa day?! There is a sauna, but no jacuzzi within the women's locker room area. You have to climb the stairs if you want to go outside for the pool and spa. We could not go out there as they were jack hammering something next to the pool.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ginger386,

Thank you very much for your comments in regards to your visit in the spa. I have forwarded your information to our Director and will meet with him to discuss your feedback. As far as the stair climing, we do offer elevator service to and from the treatment/lcoker rooms. I apologize if this wasn't pointed out to you.

Again, we appreciate the feedback as this only makes us better, and we will continue to improve our facilities to insure that every guest has a great experience while staying with us.
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance Hotel because my company hosted a meeting for four days. The room was somewhat new, clean and the bed was just right. A lunch buffet that was provided for all of the participants but I opted to walk to the outdoor mall located next door. As it turned out, it was a great decision as I tried and liked all 4 restaurants that I randomly chose. IMO, this hotel is the place to stay if you attend a concert a the next door Phoenix Stadium.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MrEdnWilbur
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
MrEdnWilbur,

Thank you so much for your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and had a chance to visit the Westgate City Center for some meals while you were here.

Please come back to see us again soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you want to be close to the University of Phoenix stadium or job.com arena and don't care about food, friendliness or cleanliness, this hotel is great.
Unfortunately, I expected a little more.
My family stayed the night of the 2013 Fiesta Bowl, I expected it to be crowded, but considering the hotel pretty much exists because of the close proximity to where the Cardinals and the Coyotes play, I assumed the staff would be prepared and be friendly and helpful, my mistake.
Prior to check in, I responded to the virtual concierge email sent to me, never received a response. My requests were not mentioned at check in nor did i ever hear anything, not sure why the hotel pretends to participate.
The front desk attendants were outright rude. Both were behind one section of counter, helping one gentleman, I "lined up" behind him. Another individual decided not to wait in line, just simply walk up, of course he was assisted. The front desk was not busy, it was obvious I was waiting. I had called earlier to see if early check in was available and was told there were 3rooms left. Since early check in is available first come first serve, more care should taken to actually to help guests in that order.
Parking, the desk clerk asked if I would need parking, I responded yes, she stated I could use my room key to open the gate. I said, I had planed to valet, to which, in a very snippy tone, retorted "that is valet not parking". FYI, on your hotel web site, under the heading parking you will find on-site parking and valet parking. I was also told it would be $20, not the $10 stated on the website. Had to ask about the breakfast in the concierge lounge.
The room was dingy, and there were cobwebs behind the valance, which is box like. To explain how I came to know that (although will start checking going forward), as mentioned was staying the night of the Fiesta Bowl, since our room overlooked the stadium, we stood at the window watching people and as I turned to walk back, noticed, quite few, not just one.
We went to the restaurant at the time the information stated it opened only to find it opened earlier and had extremely limited menu. That is the type of information that should be conveyed at check in. When I stay in a hotel, I rely on the standard information provided in the room, or when there is a change, hotels provide printouts with the updated information. Not this one. Back to the menu, not a single kids meal on the limited menu. We opted to simply split a couple of appetizers, the shrimp cocktail was served with ketchup. I tasted it and asked my husband to taste it, saying is that ketchup? He had already tasted it and noticed it was just ketchup. Why waste your time coating the shrimp with lemon zest if you serve it with ketchup? The beef on the nachos was not good. It was chipped beef that was all dried out.
I must applaud the girl working in the concierge lounge the morning after the game. She was extremely friendly, appeared to be working by herself and was desperately trying to make sure everyone had what they needed.
I have been waiting on the Thanks for Staying email I always receive so i could provide feedback, but I guess this hotel does not participate in that either.
All in all, if you are going to a game and do not want to deal with traffic congestion, you could try the Hampton.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MSMNthedesert
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
MSMNthedesert,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel during your stay for the Fiesta Bowl. First off, let me apologize that you were unhappy with your stay with us, but appreciate the feedback as this only makes us better. I have spoken to my other managers in regards to your comments on the cleanliness of your room and food quality to make sure that we can investigate this on our end. Also one more items that you had mentihoned on your review was teh parking charge of $20.00. If you did valet your car, the charge should have been $15.00 for hotel guests, and if it was not, I would be happy to refund this money back to you if this was not the case.

Again, we hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you here at the Renaissance to make sure your next stay is everything that you deserve.