“Nice Place - Great Location”

Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Glendale
Tucson, AZ
“Nice Place - Great Location”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here last December (thankfully no home football game) when traveling to Phoenix to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra at the Jobing.com arena, which is basically next door. The hotel is fairly new, as are all the facilities in the area. There are numerous shops and restaurants within easy walking distance, including a brand new Tanger Outlet mall with about every high end shop one could wish for, and a Cabellas. The Cardinal stadium is a stones throw away to boot.

As mentioned, the hotel is new and clean. The Soleil restaurant in the hotel is quite good with both indoor and outdoor seating. Personally, I had the best rack of lamb I've ever experienced in a public venue. Overall, this is a very nice facility with a friendly and helpful staff, though in an admittedly semi-rural location. However, there is easy access to the 101 freeway and Glendale Avenue, a primary east-west Phoenix artery. Plenty to do and see in the vicinity. We would definitely stay here again should we be in the area.

Room Tip: We had an upper story room facing west. The only complaint was the balcony was enclosed by a solid...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Westernflyer,

Thank you for the kind words on your recent stay at the hotel. We are glad that you had a chance to not only experience the outlets in our facility, but also our area surroundings. We hope that you have an opportunity to come visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went to the spa for a massage. The massage was good enough, no complaints there, but the spa is not so great. We were the only two people there and I noticed hair in the dirty sinks and hair and toilet paper pieces on the floor in the bathroom. Also, you have to go down this huge staircase to get to the locker room area. What is relaxing about having to climb up a staircase after a spa day?! There is a sauna, but no jacuzzi within the women's locker room area. You have to climb the stairs if you want to go outside for the pool and spa. We could not go out there as they were jack hammering something next to the pool.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ginger386,

Thank you very much for your comments in regards to your visit in the spa. I have forwarded your information to our Director and will meet with him to discuss your feedback. As far as the stair climing, we do offer elevator service to and from the treatment/lcoker rooms. I apologize if this wasn't pointed out to you.

Again, we appreciate the feedback as this only makes us better, and we will continue to improve our facilities to insure that every guest has a great experience while staying with us.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance Hotel because my company hosted a meeting for four days. The room was somewhat new, clean and the bed was just right. A lunch buffet that was provided for all of the participants but I opted to walk to the outdoor mall located next door. As it turned out, it was a great decision as I tried and liked all 4 restaurants that I randomly chose. IMO, this hotel is the place to stay if you attend a concert a the next door Phoenix Stadium.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MrEdnWilbur
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
MrEdnWilbur,

Thank you so much for your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and had a chance to visit the Westgate City Center for some meals while you were here.

Please come back to see us again soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you want to be close to the University of Phoenix stadium or job.com arena and don't care about food, friendliness or cleanliness, this hotel is great.
Unfortunately, I expected a little more.
My family stayed the night of the 2013 Fiesta Bowl, I expected it to be crowded, but considering the hotel pretty much exists because of the close proximity to where the Cardinals and the Coyotes play, I assumed the staff would be prepared and be friendly and helpful, my mistake.
Prior to check in, I responded to the virtual concierge email sent to me, never received a response. My requests were not mentioned at check in nor did i ever hear anything, not sure why the hotel pretends to participate.
The front desk attendants were outright rude. Both were behind one section of counter, helping one gentleman, I "lined up" behind him. Another individual decided not to wait in line, just simply walk up, of course he was assisted. The front desk was not busy, it was obvious I was waiting. I had called earlier to see if early check in was available and was told there were 3rooms left. Since early check in is available first come first serve, more care should taken to actually to help guests in that order.
Parking, the desk clerk asked if I would need parking, I responded yes, she stated I could use my room key to open the gate. I said, I had planed to valet, to which, in a very snippy tone, retorted "that is valet not parking". FYI, on your hotel web site, under the heading parking you will find on-site parking and valet parking. I was also told it would be $20, not the $10 stated on the website. Had to ask about the breakfast in the concierge lounge.
The room was dingy, and there were cobwebs behind the valance, which is box like. To explain how I came to know that (although will start checking going forward), as mentioned was staying the night of the Fiesta Bowl, since our room overlooked the stadium, we stood at the window watching people and as I turned to walk back, noticed, quite few, not just one.
We went to the restaurant at the time the information stated it opened only to find it opened earlier and had extremely limited menu. That is the type of information that should be conveyed at check in. When I stay in a hotel, I rely on the standard information provided in the room, or when there is a change, hotels provide printouts with the updated information. Not this one. Back to the menu, not a single kids meal on the limited menu. We opted to simply split a couple of appetizers, the shrimp cocktail was served with ketchup. I tasted it and asked my husband to taste it, saying is that ketchup? He had already tasted it and noticed it was just ketchup. Why waste your time coating the shrimp with lemon zest if you serve it with ketchup? The beef on the nachos was not good. It was chipped beef that was all dried out.
I must applaud the girl working in the concierge lounge the morning after the game. She was extremely friendly, appeared to be working by herself and was desperately trying to make sure everyone had what they needed.
I have been waiting on the Thanks for Staying email I always receive so i could provide feedback, but I guess this hotel does not participate in that either.
All in all, if you are going to a game and do not want to deal with traffic congestion, you could try the Hampton.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MSMNthedesert
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
MSMNthedesert,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel during your stay for the Fiesta Bowl. First off, let me apologize that you were unhappy with your stay with us, but appreciate the feedback as this only makes us better. I have spoken to my other managers in regards to your comments on the cleanliness of your room and food quality to make sure that we can investigate this on our end. Also one more items that you had mentihoned on your review was teh parking charge of $20.00. If you did valet your car, the charge should have been $15.00 for hotel guests, and if it was not, I would be happy to refund this money back to you if this was not the case.

Again, we hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you here at the Renaissance to make sure your next stay is everything that you deserve.
Rockland Cnty, New York
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This hotel is not what you would expect, and that is a good thing.

First, the visit did not coincide with a Arizona Cardinals game, so that means there weren't any crowds, service was prompt, and staff paid attention to details.

Second, the southwest motif was not overplayed as is often the case in hotels I've encountered in this part of America. In fact, while the elements of the southwest were present, it was tactfully on display.

Lastly, it was a relaxing time of year, and the weather was just right.

Ok, now for the meat of the review. Check-in was rapid, there was two clerks available and i was the only person who entered at the time. They were friendly I am a Marriott rewards member, and got a club floor room. The lobby is large, airy and nicely designed and is several stories high . Plenty of sitting area and areas to relax in public. The lobby bar is directly across from check-in. Oddly, the elevators are directly across from the desk, and a walk away. Not in view of the lobby staff, that could be a security concern.

The ride to the room was quick, the elevators clean. There was a generally pleasant scent in the hotel. The room was well appointed, but lose to the club room. As the hotel wasn't too crowded, it was acceptable noise level. I'm certain during game time, this place would be loud.

The room had everything I needed for the three day stay that I enjoyed.

The indoor pool was large and clean (and underused at the time) The fitness room was well appointed for cardio, but not for weight training.

In the immediate area there are TOO MANY places to eat. A great variety of price points, and a lot of bars/pubs. This si a strong contender for a good place for a quiet weekend away from the kids ONLY IF there is no game scheduled.

As for business travelers, it is a far ride to the airport, but worth it once you arrive.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Stadium.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
ChiefJack,

Thanks again for taking time to comment on our hotel! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we have another opportunity to have you stay at our hotel

As always...safe travels to you!
Arizona
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We were here for a Arizona Cardinals game at University of Phoenix Stadium and the hotel could not have been more convenient. After the game all nearby restaurants had 90 minute waiting times for tables so we ordered in room service and it was surprisingly good. The hotel cost $398 for a King Suite for one night, and our disappointment was that although the hotel was booked directly through the Marriott website and the site specifically asks for number of persons, in our case 4, and selected a room option for us, when we arrived at the room we found that although spacious, the suite had only one King bed and does not have sleeping accommodations for 4 persons. The hotel made it work by bringing us 2 rollaway beds. We could have stayed in 2 Queen doubles at the nearby Hampton for less and all of us would have slept on real beds. The hotel was comfortable, but next time we will probably try the Hampton.

Room Tip: Although the Marriott website says the King Suites sleep 4, they do not, unless rollaways are brough...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
ArizonaRock,

Thank you for your recent feedback in regards to your recent stay with us during a Cardinals football game. I do apologize for the inconvenience in regards to booking one of our suites and having only one King bed available in the room. I have directed your information to our Assistant General Manager in charge of our rooms and he will work with Marriott corporate to make sure in the future that people understand that all of our suties at the hotel only have one King bed in all of them. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guests at the hotel soon...and next time we will make sure to put you in a room with two beds to accommodate your needs. As always...thanks again for the feedback, as it only makes us better!
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed here when my company opened a new business venture in the area. My room was on the 10th floor overlooking the Arizona Cardinals stadium. The room had high ceilings and felt very spacious. The colors are a bit intense for my tasted but I guess that's the trend out west. The restaraunt in the hotel had excellent food including the best sweet potato fries I've ever eaten. There's a great breakfast buffet as well.

Within walking distance is a Tanger Outlet shopping center which is brand new. There are also a lot of great local restaurants. Check out the Saddle Ranch, a western style restaurant with a mechanical bull and outside patio dining complete with gas fire places. Or take a walk to the Yardhouse where they have more than 100 different beers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
KeepGoingPhilly,

Thank you so much for the feedback on your stay. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and had the opportunity to visit our partners, Tanger Outlets and Westgate Entertainment District. Please come and see us again soon!

Thanks again!