“Great convenient location but you are paying for the location, not the extravagance of the hotel...”

Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Glendale
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for an event at the Jobing.com arena. What an incredibly convenient location. The arena is in the middle of a quaint little area with a choice of restaurants/bars/some shops. The hotel charged $10/night for parking but didn't realize until after the charge was on my bill that anyone else was parking for free until it was closer to the concert. There is no one collecting money and the gate remained open. Seems it should be the other way around-"waive" the fee for hotel guests instead of for everyone not staying at the hotel!
The lobby area/bar/courtyard area were nice and inviting. It was set up well with plenty of places to sit as a group so it encouraged socializing. Some hotels "look" nice but this one looked nice AND was designed to be functional. At night the fire pit and outside heaters were really nice and again. Encouraged people to be out if their rooms which as a business, is a smart move since it made ordering from the bar, convenient.
The room. I expected more. I have always equated a Renaissance hotel with something more luxurious, more top end than mediocre. The decor was, well...bizarre. It definitely didn't promote rest and relaxation. The hotel in general consisted of the same orange/red/yellow 1970's theme. The room was a mash up of these colors with horizontal, vertical, plaids, wavy patterns. Even the pictures on the wall were conflicted with the exception of the same colors. It reminded me of " garanimals" of the 70's that allowed kids to always be able to match their clothes. The carpet was dingy; waves and all. The bedspread was worn and starting to fray. The bathroom was certainly fine but it's just the attention to details that separates hotels from being a 4 or 5 star rating. The cheap soap holder in the shower was drilled into the granite tile....crooked. In order for it to work, one of the holes was exposed and still it was crooked. Paint was clearly of lesser quality as it didn't cover evenly or else it was only one coat. The tv was exceptionally small.
The staff were friendly but not very helpful with information of where to go in Glendale. I did not see or hear of a concierge although it looked like there was a separate area for one. Overall it was a decent place but it was clear where the corners were cut to save money. Would I stay here again? Maybe but it would be based on location not quality of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Jackson6,

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback from your stay in December. We take feedback very seriously from our guests, as it will only make us better for our guests in future stays! I have taken your comments on the decor, cleanliness of our rooms and overall perception of your stay to the appropriate managers to make sure we address each item to improve ourselves. We hope that you will come back and stay with us again and let us know how we can continue to improve on our services here at the Renaissance!

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed here December 6th for 1 night.

What a great place! They truly understand service at this hotel. From the check in to the concierge lounge to the parking garage, everyone on the staff I encountered was super friendly & helpful.

The room was clean and beautifully decorated in keeping with the "desert decor" theme.

Food in the lounge was high quality and the staff member was very pleasant & professional.

Check out was also warm and friendly.

Perfectly located to attend an event at the stadium or arena.

Will definitely stay here again if I return to the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Victrometer,

Thank you so much for the nice comments on the hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will come back to see us in the near future!

Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel just one night as we were in town for the Springsteen concert. We were quickly checked in and then walked through the spacious lobby (with a coffee shop and cafe). Our room was standard, not fancy by any means, but it had all the necessary amenities: small fridge, coffee maker, iron, shampoo, body wash, hair dryer, and even toothpaste! I used to travel for work quite often and I believe this is the first hotel that has provided toothpaste. Nice touch!
Beds were quite comfy and everything was clean.
Entertainment is literally right out the front door! Many restaurants and shops to keep you busy. A movie theater is also located in the shopping area. Just down the street is a new outlet mall with great bargains!
I would definitely recommend and stay again. My only complaint would be that there is not complimentary bottled water available. For the price of the room, a bottle of water could easily be included.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

englishteacher_11

Thanks again for taking the time to give us feedback during your recent stay for the Springsteen concert! That was a very busy night for the hotel and the area, and I am glad that you had great service during your stay. I will definitely take your comments in regards to the complimentary bottled water to our Food and Beverage Director and see if we can do this in the future!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We spent four nights here the end of November. You will notice upon checkin the decor is not your typical traditional hotel, it is more modern which I personally like. Staff is fantastic, we paid with Marriott points and were surprised to be upgraded to a corner suite upon checkin. Location is great right off the interstate, close to shopping and dining. Our last night the place was jumping with the US Womens Soccer team vs Ireland and Manheim Steamroller right across the parking lot. We ate at the bar that night, a bit expensive as are most hotels, but quality and service were both very good. Beds comfy, rooms spotless. Had an excellent massage at the spa. Found a coupon on travelzoo and got 1/2 off! Enjoyed the pool and hot tub which were perfectly kept. They have another outdoor sitting area with cozy chairs and an outdoor fireplace at night. Parking fees seem a little high. The amenities are really nice here.

My only complaint is the decor. Not a fan of orange and gold, but that is subjective of course. The cushions on our couch were some sort of shiny vinyl, as were many of the chairs in the public areas. Just found that odd in what I would otherwise consider a pretty classy place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

ParkerChick,

Thank you so much for the feedback from your stay with us here at the Renaissance. We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your stay and your experience, as it helps us better ourselves. As far as the decor in the hotel, I will take this back to the team as we will be making some changes to our public areas in the near future.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed this past weekend to watch the WNT play Ireland. Upon check-in, we were cordially greeted by valet and check-in desk. The local attractions (Westgate shopping plaza & new outlet mall) were explained to us and a free ride in the hotel golf cart were offered to us whenever we were ready. The lobby bar, selection & service (by Johnathan) was outstanding and welcoming. We ate several meals in this area. All of the food was very good and reasonably priced...food service was a little slow, but John warned us about this ahead of time (knowing we did not want to be late for the practice or game) which we much appreciated. The pool area was beautiful and empty...I thought it a bit odd that towels were not around. Had to walk to front desk to ask where they were and told in the coffee shop (really????)...which closes at 2pm. This was a bit odd, both getting the towels there and closing so early considering it is much more than a coffee shop...more like a sundries shop...what happens when you need a drink, candy bar, paper, etc after 2pm??? The spa was beautiful and the massage was awesome.
The rooms were beautiful and very clean. I would highly recommend this hotel and not hesitate to stay here again or recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Shellys6,

Thank you so much for the kind word about our property! We appreciate all the feedback we get as it only makes us better at serving "you" the customer! I have taken your comments in regards to the coffee shop closing at 2pm and the pool towels information to the appropriate manager so we can evaluate on how to better service our guests. Thanks again for the feedback, we look forward to having you come back and staying with us in the near future!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

First the staff were fantastic. Easy check in. The room was nice until I realized I was over the roaring generators 24/7. Called downstairs and they immediately accommodated me with another room on the opposite side of hotel. The problem with this hotel is you can feel them cutting costs with decor. You feel like you are in a fake resort. The tv is cheap, small, and does not give a good picture. Now I am only here to see the US woman's soccer team, but I don't think I would stay here again. I think Hampton Inn across the way does a better job with their ambience. Here is my first pet peeve. They charge $13/day for Internet access. Some people would not care, but what hotel does not offer free Internet today? Even when I was in Russia last summer I got free Internet. Second pet peeve. They offered no free parking. The choices were valet $15/day or self garage $10/day. This is Glendale, not New York City, which is surrounded by massive vacant paved parking lots. Apparently, if you park in one a short distance from the entrance of the hotel, I was informed you will be towed. Again, the staff were wonderful. Still I would rather stay at the Hampton Inn across the way with free parking, free Internet, and a free hot breakfast or splurge a little more and stay at Valley Ho in scottsdale and make the drive to the stadium.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Wentuc,

Thank you for the feedback in regards to your stay here at the Renaissance. We always pride ourselves to give the best possible service whenever we can to guests and especially listening to important feedback from you, the customer, to make make us better. I will share your comments with our other departments concerning the parking/internet service that we charge for as well as your feedback on the decor in the rooms. Just a quick items that may help you if you choose to stay with us again...we do offer complimentary internet service in our business center and in the public areas of the hotel, so you do not have to pay for service (not sure if this was relayed to you or not). Hopefully you will have an opportunity to take advantage of this when you stay with us again...

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

The location was excellent, very centrally located and walking distance to the Westgate Mall (I think there is an arena there where they have concerts and hockey games) with shopping and restaurants and a new Tanger Outlet mall and the University of Phoenix Stadium (the AZ cardinals play there). The staff was very friendly.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

HI_Traveler_12,

Thank you so much for staying with us here at the Renaissance. I'm glad you had a chance to enjoy our facility as well as the area surroundings during your stay. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again soon, and will keep you updated of the new projects happening around us!