“Excellent amenities, beautiful lobby/lounge area”

Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Glendale
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed this past weekend to watch the WNT play Ireland. Upon check-in, we were cordially greeted by valet and check-in desk. The local attractions (Westgate shopping plaza & new outlet mall) were explained to us and a free ride in the hotel golf cart were offered to us whenever we were ready. The lobby bar, selection & service (by Johnathan) was outstanding and welcoming. We ate several meals in this area. All of the food was very good and reasonably priced...food service was a little slow, but John warned us about this ahead of time (knowing we did not want to be late for the practice or game) which we much appreciated. The pool area was beautiful and empty...I thought it a bit odd that towels were not around. Had to walk to front desk to ask where they were and told in the coffee shop (really????)...which closes at 2pm. This was a bit odd, both getting the towels there and closing so early considering it is much more than a coffee shop...more like a sundries shop...what happens when you need a drink, candy bar, paper, etc after 2pm??? The spa was beautiful and the massage was awesome.
The rooms were beautiful and very clean. I would highly recommend this hotel and not hesitate to stay here again or recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Shellys6,

Thank you so much for the kind word about our property! We appreciate all the feedback we get as it only makes us better at serving "you" the customer! I have taken your comments in regards to the coffee shop closing at 2pm and the pool towels information to the appropriate manager so we can evaluate on how to better service our guests. Thanks again for the feedback, we look forward to having you come back and staying with us in the near future!

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa

Reviewed December 1, 2012

First the staff were fantastic. Easy check in. The room was nice until I realized I was over the roaring generators 24/7. Called downstairs and they immediately accommodated me with another room on the opposite side of hotel. The problem with this hotel is you can feel them cutting costs with decor. You feel like you are in a fake resort. The tv is cheap, small, and does not give a good picture. Now I am only here to see the US woman's soccer team, but I don't think I would stay here again. I think Hampton Inn across the way does a better job with their ambience. Here is my first pet peeve. They charge $13/day for Internet access. Some people would not care, but what hotel does not offer free Internet today? Even when I was in Russia last summer I got free Internet. Second pet peeve. They offered no free parking. The choices were valet $15/day or self garage $10/day. This is Glendale, not New York City, which is surrounded by massive vacant paved parking lots. Apparently, if you park in one a short distance from the entrance of the hotel, I was informed you will be towed. Again, the staff were wonderful. Still I would rather stay at the Hampton Inn across the way with free parking, free Internet, and a free hot breakfast or splurge a little more and stay at Valley Ho in scottsdale and make the drive to the stadium.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Wentuc,

Thank you for the feedback in regards to your stay here at the Renaissance. We always pride ourselves to give the best possible service whenever we can to guests and especially listening to important feedback from you, the customer, to make make us better. I will share your comments with our other departments concerning the parking/internet service that we charge for as well as your feedback on the decor in the rooms. Just a quick items that may help you if you choose to stay with us again...we do offer complimentary internet service in our business center and in the public areas of the hotel, so you do not have to pay for service (not sure if this was relayed to you or not). Hopefully you will have an opportunity to take advantage of this when you stay with us again...

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

The location was excellent, very centrally located and walking distance to the Westgate Mall (I think there is an arena there where they have concerts and hockey games) with shopping and restaurants and a new Tanger Outlet mall and the University of Phoenix Stadium (the AZ cardinals play there). The staff was very friendly.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

HI_Traveler_12,

Thank you so much for staying with us here at the Renaissance. I'm glad you had a chance to enjoy our facility as well as the area surroundings during your stay. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again soon, and will keep you updated of the new projects happening around us!

Thanks again!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

On July 27, 2012 we checked in to the Renaissance in Glendale. It was extremely hot, we got lost, and were very weary, and the two girls at the front desk, I believe named Mallory and Bethany, were so wonderful and accommodating, and really turned our day around. The Hotel was very pleasant, all the staff was incredible, the room was extremely clean and comfortable, and our experience there was top notch. The location was perfect for our needs and is located by main venues and a unique and entertaining street that was very close. As I mentioned, all the staff was great, from the parking people to the bar staff, but unfortunately we did not get all the names. We would definitely stay at this hotel again, and will if we are ever in Glandale.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

MarjorieND,

Thank you for the kind words about your experience here at the Renaissance. We pride ourselves on giving the best customer service to each and every guest that stays with us. We hope to see you back to the Glendale area soon so we can take care of you. We are also a member of the John Q Hammons Hotels and Resorts collection, so if you every need a great hotel to stay at with exceptional customer service, please choose any of our hotels wherever you stay!

Thanks again!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We happened to be staying at this hotel when the new outlet shops opened for the first time. Getting to the hotel was a nightmare but once we were there it was great. There was no one else there! Since this hotel caters to sports crowds, when there are no games I guess it's empty. We had all the amenities to ourselves. The hotel was great when I walked in with my service dog. They did not bat an eyelash and checked us in with smiles on their faces. I had told the hotel, as a courtesy, I would be bringing him. I am sure even if I had not they would have been great. The decor of the hotel is very nice and it always looks very clean. Our room was great! We had room 805. It was so nice with a separate living room, bedroom and then an enormous bathroom. The jacuzzi tub was huge! It was almost too big. It was hard to get in and out of. If you have any sort of knee or leg problems you may want to skip it or make sure someone is there while you get in and out. We had room service the first night and everything was delicious. Room service was fast and the food hot and tasty. We ordered steak quesadillas , chips and salsa, a rueben, and grilled cheese. Normally the only way to get a grilled cheese is off the kids menu, and some hotels will not let you order it. Luckily this hotel had an adult version. Another very valuable tool in the room was both a fridge and microwave, We used it the next day to heat up our leftovers. I was disappointed that there was no mini bar. When I went down in the morning to get coffee I ran into a staff member. I asked her about the spa and salon, about availability since I had not made and appointment yet. I was going to an event later that day and really wanted to get my hair done. She told me that since the hotel was basically empty that I would have no problem getting in. I went back to the room and called down to the spa. I left a message on the answering machine about making an appointment for noon. I left my cell phone number and my husband and I went to the new outlet mall. The new outlet mall is great. Since it was the grand opening the stores all had amazing deals. It was hard for me because I can't stand for long periods of time. I found a few things I liked but the lines were too long. When I asked the store if they had either a chair or a dedicated line for handicapped, I got a big no on both questions. I guess I was just not destined to have a cashmere sweater:) I kept checking my cell phone to see if the salon had called, nothing. We walked back to the hotel around 10 a.m. When we got up to the room there was a message from the salon. I was told that they just could not fit me in. I walked down there to see if I could maybe borrow a flat iron. When I walked in I expected to see a busy spa and salon. There was NO ONE there! The girl at the desk told me that the hairstylist had decided not to come in at all because it was slow. I asked if I could get a spa treatment instead and was told basically the same thing. I was also told that I could not borrow a flat iron either. I went back upstairs. We then decided to get an ice coffee and head to the indoor/outdoor pool. It was just 11:30 and the coffee shop had closed early because of the lack of people staying in the hotel. It was also the place to get pool towels. My husband was able to track someone down and get pool towels. The indoor pool was very nice. The water was clean and not over chlorinated. The temperature was a little too cold for me but I swam anyway. We then ventured outside. The pool area was very nice. The hot tub was just the right temperature. Since we were the only ones there the pool bar was closed. That night we walked over to the big restaurant area. There were several types of food to pick from. We went to the steakhouse saloon at the far end. It was excellent! The portions were large, our steak and prime rib done to perfection. We did have to send the prime rib back at first because it was too rare but then it came out perfect. The desert menu was wonderful, cook your own s'mores sounded so yummy but we were full. As we were getting ready to leave the manager came out with a 3 foot high cotton candy!!!! It was the best I have ever had! We checked out the next morning, with a total of two nights. When I was leaving the manager asked if everything was alright. I said yes at first but then I told him what happened at the salon. He told me that it was an independent contractor and they have had some issues in the past. I would definitely go back to this hotel. Even though some things were not perfect, I really liked the location and the hotel itself.

Room Tip: Pick room 805 or ask for a room with a jacuzzi tub!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Jenandike,

Thank you so much for the feedback on your stay with us last week. I'm glad that you had an opportunity to not only visit the amenities in the hotel but also to visit our neighbors (Tanger Outlet Mall, and Westgate City Center). We also will definitely research your information on our spa and make sure that we are servicing all our guests.

Again thank you for all your feedback and we look forward to having you come back soon!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Love this property, great service, beautiful public spaces and convenient to the Hockey and Football stadiums out in Phoenix. Clean rooms. Nice little bar and patio area with torches and waterfalls, great ambiance. Nice atrium/lobby.

Helpful tip: If you are a rewards member with Marriott then there is a concierge lounge on level 10, enjoy quiet time here or a free breakfast in the morning (instead of paying for breakfast in the lobby-level restaurant).

Another joy of this property is it's location......there is a shopping center right next to it, about a 20 yard walk, that has beautiful fountains (think Bellagio style) with cool stores, great dining (some unique up-scale restaurants as well as places like Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville). Also just opened on the west end of the parking lot is Phoenix's newest outlet mall, Tangers.

Room Tip: All rooms come with a view, you can either get one facing south for a view of the NFL Stadium or one...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Bruce,

Thank you so much for your post on our hotel! We're very happy that you enjoyed your stay and had a great experience with us. Please come back to visit us soon so we can take care of all your needs!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We live locally in the Phoenix area but wanted to get away from home for a weekend. We love going to Westgate for the night life so the Renaissance was the perfect getaway spot for us. We arrived on a Saturday morning, before check in, so we sat and enjoyed mimosas and lunch on the outside patio. The drinks and the meal were both perfect. We checked into our room a little later and everything about the room was perfect! It was spacious, well decorated, and had all of the in-room amenities we like (coffee maker, fridge, microwave) and we had a bird’s eye view of the new Tanger Outlet Shopping Center and Westgate. There as a little desk area in the room - pretty standard for any hotel - and a flat screen TV. The sitting area was nice and I loved that they had an iPod docking station on the bedside table. We had a king sized bed with goose down bedding/pillows. Unfortunately I am allergic to goose feathers (my husband checked us in and forgot to tell them I needed hypoallergenic bedding), when I called the front desk to ask them to switch out the bedding, they did it promptly. The staff was outstanding, from the valet parking attendant to the hostess, housekeeping and the waiter. Everyone was extremely pleasant. We didn't have dinner at the hotel (opted for the Yard House instead) and then came back to the hotel bar (Ray's) for drinks and to watch a little football in the bar area. The place was packed but we still had a great time mingling and getting to know other people.

We had a nice, quiet, peaceful night’s sleep (being away from kids and housework!) and got to sleep in late on Sunday! The blackout curtains in the rooms are amazing - when I woke up at 9am I thought for sure it was still day time. I got up and had Starbucks from the cafe in the lobby then we went down for the breakfast buffet. They had a full breakfast menu but the buffet looked great so we had that. And it was just as great as it looked!! Thank you, Renaissance Glendale, for a wonderful weekend getaway!

Citygirl AZ,

Thank you for your comments in regards to your stay here at the Renaissance! We're very happy that you enjoyed your stay and had a chance to experience some of the amenities that our hotel offers! Now with the Tanger Mall opening, and new events and concerts right around the corner, this is going to be a great place to be! We look forward to spoiling you soon!