“Great locale, terrific hotel”

Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Glendale
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The hotel is in a convenient Phoenix area location. The room was spacious, well appointed, and clean. For example, counter tops and the window ledge are marble. Front desk staff are attentive and professional. Perhaps our only complaint was the morning buffet and this is highly personal. As a vegetarian the $16 charge was a bit much as most of the choices were non-vegetarian (omelets, bacon, sausage) and the meager amount of fruit (escept for small apples) was not very fresh (straberries and pineapply were brown and soft). I should have checked the buffet before ordering it.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and our friends were on the fifth. Both floors were quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Booked on Priceline for very reasonable price - super location - next to Westgate with many restaurants and bars - beautiful bright lobby - nice pool (two pools) and patio area. However, what made this go from a four to five is the staff - everyone was so nice and ready to help. They all had great smiles and really seem to enjoy their job - and have pride in the hotel and the area they live in. Thanks for your courtesy and respect.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed at the hotel in early June. The resort has a nice summer special for phoenix residents. The location is great in Westgate close to many restaurants and bars. The hotel has a good pool, but not comparable to some of the higher end resorts in Phoenix. We also had a very nice buffet in the restaurant and enjoyed a drink watching the NBA finals in the bar.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a great weekend stay here to see our Wild take on the Coyotes next door at Jobing.com arena. The hotel is also located next to the shopping/restaurant complex that has a variety of places to choose from for before or after the game entertainment including Margaritaville. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed breakfast at the hotel restaurant and even saw a few of our favorite players doing the same. The lobby bar was nice to hang out at after the game and chat with fellow fans. We had a great time and have contemplated taking the kids with us next time.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I had business in Glendale, AZ and was advised by a friend to try and stay in one of the hotels in the Westgate area. I have special needs like a roll-in shower room, a chaise lounge or recliner in the room and a refrigerator for medication. I "Google-searched" hotels in that area and while other well known hotels showed up in the search list, this one caught my eye.

I called the hotel direct to explain my needs and while the room only came with a table and chair, they were more than happy to put a lovely chaise-style, beautifully upholstered sofa in my room. Not only that, but their spa and gym were free to guests.

Their breakfast and lunch chef, John is a credit to this hotel, their menu creations and chefs everywhere. Kimberly, my server recommended their calamari log appetizer which intrigued me. How could calamari be stacked like a log cabin? But it was...beautifully prepared, delicately crispy and not at all greasy or chewy, with a tantalizing seaweed salad nestled in the middle.

I am going to try to include photos of this and my other selection if I can figure it out.

Needless to say, it was more than I could eat, but absolutely delicious. The photo shown is after I had eaten one or two.

She then recommended a tuna wrap which didn't really interest me (thinking tuna fish salad) until she described it as seared ahi tuna in a type of pita or Mediterranean flat bread with crisp salad fixings inside and a named sauce that escapes me but was drizzled over it which was delicious too.

Friends, it actually looked like two tacos that were huge and well priced and worth every penny. Fantastic and had I been with my husband, both items were enough to satisfy two people. As it was, I boxed up mg leftover to eat later.

Their breakfast buffet is one of the best with the most variety I have seen from a major hotel chain. Everything from freshly prepared dessert delicacies to smoked salmon to omelette station to traditional meats, turkey/chicken sausages, applewood smoked bacon to well drained crumbled Mexican chorizo. Their fruits were sliced and attractively arranged on various plates - not cubed and thrown in a bowl on ice. Each area of the buffet was well thought out and nicely presented.

Cirque du Soleil was across the street, tents visible from my hotel porch/patio with chairs to sit back and enjoy the view, dry heat and nice breeze. The show Kooza was playing and a hotel staff member, secured a front row seat for me with a ride from a staff member. They have golf carts to drop guests off in a small radius around the hotel vicinity which is another plus.

I also noticed the stadium where the Cardinals play across the street too. All with a backdrop of mountains in the distance.

Now for people with physical challenges...there is a bus called Dial a Dollar bus that will pick you up in front of the hotel and take you to downtown Glendale where you can find the library, shops of all sorts, restaurants and basically experience the essence of a beautiful little city and warm, wonderful store owners and citizens. If you have your Medicare card and they "verify" whatever they need to, they will charge you one dollar to pick up and one dollar to bring back. They require 2 hours notice for transportation to/from your destination(s) so make sure you map out your timetable before calling them. Anyway, that was a wonderful way to get around and see the city without renting a car.

Lastly, I would like to recognize and praise the hotel's bellmen/valet staff. What a great group of guys! Both Michaels, Andre and Julian are the only names I remember but there might be others who assisted me during my stay. Those guys were like my knights in shining armor. They made sure I was well cared for by transportation companies and rescued me when I was lost or upset. If I needed assistance for shopping, dining or wheeling me to/from my room, they were my "go to guys". They are a credit to this hotel and I hope management local and corporate recognizes that these guys are responsible for first impressions and public relations for your guests. The ladies at the front desk - Bernice, as well as Lisa, Katie and Bethany were all so efficient, courteous, friendly and considerate regardless of what was asked for or how busy they were.

The hotel itself is well maintained and the rooms beautifully appointed.

Incidentally, there was a baseball tournaments going on and the hotel had their share of players, families of players, coaches, etc. staying there but I never heard or experienced any loud noises, screaming or anything to disturb me.

If you are ever in the area, you must try this hotel or the restaurant. I hope your experience will be just as pleasant as mine.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Beautiful, enormous presidential suite. We came down for a spring training baseball game and the location in Glendale was great. Everything was clean and super nice!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a work trip and event at the University of Phoenix stadium. Close to shopping, movies and a few restaurants but the hotel restaurant Soleil provided excellent food at reasonable prices. Rooms are clean and large, staff are friendly and helpful. Would love to stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012