“Nice hotel...great location!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Glendale
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Nice hotel...great location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

Enjoyed my stay here..beautiful lobby...pool area very nice...private balcony...only complaint was the high cost for parking.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

A little history first...of all my many reviews, there is only one other that was rated with a "1-star". I take these ratings seriously. On the positive side, my wife and I were here for a conference. There are some rooms with balconies, some without. Ask for a room with the view because being able to step outside and take in the view (basically just desert) is much better. The bedding was comfortable and the room "roomy." There seems like considerably much to do in the area because of the stadium, but if there is not a scheduled event at the stadium, the area is literally like a ghost town. The nearby entertainment center consists of mainly restaurants with very little shopping. Unless you have a car, there is no pharmacy in the area that we could find and as you will read below, one may be needed. At night, it was like an old western town with tumbleweed rolling down a dusty road.

There were 13 people in our party. On the negative side, 9 got SICK from what had to be the food at the banquet. The Food & Bev mgr was advised and he related it was probably from the highly chlorinated water. WHAT??? At another table, 4 of 6 were sick. One person at another table asserted that he found a worm in his steak. This was reported to the F & B manager. The next morning the manager called (a plus for him here!) to inquire of my condition. I was still ill, and he asked if he could send up some ginger ale and crackers. I agreed and a few minutes later room service arrived with the items, AND a $15.00 bill. I told the steward where to take the items back to, as would most other sick guests in my position. To his credit, the F & B mgr belatedly credited the items and they returned. I texted him with thanks for the "limited assistance and to not phone me anymore". Being sick, I didn't need this type of non-assistance, it was extremely stressful. The point of all this was that the mgr should have at least partially accepted responsibility and showed empathy, I would have then understood. But, he just cowered with irresponsibility and no apology was forthcoming. He weakly profered that earlier many staff-members had a stomach flu, he cited the chlorinated water, but all this did little to assist me as his guest. If there was a stomach flu, why weren't the guests told how to avoid the condition? The answer would have honestly been to not eat the food. The bottom line: All this left me with a poor taste for this hotel and I would not recommend it to anyone, particularly since I received no apology.

Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
12 Thank MaltaBound
arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

Visited 5 Aug 10 for the Kid Rock Concert. Although the hotel was at 90% capacity, we had a 5 minute wait for check in . Had room 240 and it was very clean and warm and welcoming. Right across is the street is a lively, family inviting area with shops, restraunts, pubs, fast food places, and neon lights and music everywhere. Be advised the shops don't really open until around 3 pm and they stay open until around midnight. Live entertainment and water fountains for the kids to play in. So, if your looking for a get away weekend, try this. All you have to do is park the car and enjoy the sights and sounds.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

I stayed here for a conference and enjoyed my stay. The front desk people were quick, helpful, fast and very enjoyable. My room had a balcony that over looked the back of the property but the large windows were good enough to keep the heat at bay and the noise level very low even with the large AC units below running all the time.
The room was large and nicely done. During my morning shower I discovered the tub drain was clogged (it happens), 5 min after calling the front desk a maintenace person was there cleaning it out.
I only had breakfast at the resturant, the buffet was large and had lots of choices, I will agree with another reviewer that the coffee was very different, I ended up going over to the gift shop/cantina were they were able to make me a Starbucks latte.
The gym and the pool were both large and seem to be well maintained. Parking can be expensive if you park at the hotel. I did park across the street in the mall parking lot, it was mid week so the lot was very empty and no one bothered the car. The valet guys were quick to offer water any time I was heading out.
Over all a very nice hotel and a good conference.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Pompton Plains, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Came to do work in the Gilbert, and the Renaissance Gilbert was the closest nice hotel near the office.

This hotel looks really nice. My room was spacious and everything worked well. But here are some things I found not to be up to par:

The bed. It looks like it's going to be great, but if you are a frequent traveler like me, the room can look fantastic, but if the bed is not comfortable, the rest of the room doesn't matter. Most hotels in this category have luxury linens, pillow top beds and different density pillows. That was not the case here. I found the bed on the hard side and I think pretty weak when Holiday Inn Express beats Renaissance.

The bathroom. Towels were worn. Again, at this category, the linens, towels, etc should feel good, not wilted. The bathroom looks great, but drying off with their towels doesn't feel great.

The staff. Front desk was great, but at the quick cafe called Cafeinnas, you could tell that the worker couldn't have cared less about providing service (and this is a resort!). At this quick cafe, they served Starbucks which I like, but I watched as someone ordered an iced coffee and the cashier (without explaining it) took a cup, filled it with ice and then walked over to the self-serve pump pots and filled the iced cup with hot coffee. OK, I'm a coffee snob, but that's not how to make an iced coffee and if I had ordered one myself, I'd want to be told that since it's not a full-service Starbucks, the only way they could make it was with hot vs. cold coffee.

The restaurant. I only tried breakfast there, but (again, I know I'm a coffee snob) they serve coffee made from coffee concentrate, not brewed coffee. If you've ever had this stuff ( Douwe Egberts) is one of the brands, well...it's consistent, but it doesn't taste like coffee, and I think it's an embarrassment when priced at $3/cup.

Other issues: Internet--> free in lobby, $12.95 in room
Parking: There is a boatload of parking for free in the Westgate shopping area which is right next to the hotel. I was instructed that there was a risk of towing if you used that area or $10/night for the parking structure at the hotel. I paid for the parking but saw plenty of people park in the Westgate lot.

OK...so the hotel is OK, nothing was bad...but nothing was good and I found too many things to make me want to choose a different hotel on my return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank DanCohen55
Pfafftown, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

This hotel was quite nice and comfortable. We were there for a skateboard competition at Jobing.com arena. The rooms were nice and we had a balcony which we could see the shopping below. The room was also quiet... there was a lot of activity outside and inside that weekend but when we were in our room it was very quiet. We had coffee downstairs in the morning and enjoyed the bar on Saturday evening. The staff was perfect!! Everyone nice, smiling and accommodating. Ask for a Polar Pop! We loved the closeness to the arena and the little shopping square. We will back next year!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Millie0702
Riverside, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

My husband had business in AZ and since it was summer break, we tagged along! He told me where he usually stayed and I opted to seek accomodations that would be better suited with two pre teen boys! So thrilled to find the Renaissance and all that they had to offer in and around the area! Great location, huge outdoor and and indoor lap pool! Great for the hot AZ weather. When you walk in, this hotel has a huge open lobby and colorfully ornate! The boys called it "FANCY". Fast check-in and nice looking room, but it smelled of smoke and we requested to be moved to a non smoking room as originally requested. They were able to get us a non smoking room with a balcony view of Westgate Center which felt like an upgrade! Love that Westgate Center was adjacent to the hotel, so you can do a little shopping, eating, catch a movie without having to hop into the car. Also loved that there was a Cracker Barrel across the street! Would recommend this hotel without a doubt!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business