“Eat here at least once when in town”
Review of Haus Murphy's

Haus Murphy's
Ranked #4 of 571 Restaurants in Glendale
Cuisines: German, Central European
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I come to Phoenix twice a year, and ALWAYS eat here at least one night each time. I don't even look at the menu, as I ask the hostess to see if the chef will just fix our table a combination of what's the most fresh that day...always a surprise and always wonderful. Authentic German food, great atmosphere...when it's warm enough you can sit outside and get a great feel of an old beer garden. Be sure to try one of the German Pretzels too.

There are newer reviews for Haus Murphy's

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Hearty, authentic German fare. Great variety of beers on tap. Stuffed mushroom caps were FABulous! Wish I had saved room for the Black Forest Cake.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Great food, we order 4 meals all were hot ;tasty and good to excellent .The staff was pleasant and informative.. The disappointment came with the bill -drink /beverage tax and food tax
which was very high. The tax was a damper.This may cause us not
to visit an excellent restaurant.
ridulucous high.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I visited Haus Murphy's twice - once during their Christmas season menu, and once when they reverted back to their regular menu. While the first visit was very good, I thought the portion sizes could have been a bit bigger. I saw the difference when I came back the week after for another meal. They had returned to their regular menu, and I'm happy to report the portions were back to a satisfactory German size ;). I understood now why the difference as they are quite busy over the holiday season and have a fixed menu in order to accommodate the volume. We'll be back!!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I really hate having to write a bad review. No one goes out to dine hoping for a bad experience, but sometimes Haus Murphy's happens. This is especially annoying because in the past we have enjoyed this restaurant.
As far as the decor goes, it is not fancy but very appropriate for a casual German restaurant. The problem is the service and food. The evening started great as we had a reservation and were seated promptly. Shannon was our waitress and she showed up right away to take a drink order. Several minutes later she was back wanting to take our dinner order even thought we had not been served our drinks. As soon as the drinks arrived she was back again. It was evident that we were not going to get the relaxed evening we had hoped for, but tried to slow things down by just ordering an appetizer to share while we enjoyed our drinks. We were able to do this but it was now obvious that they wanted us in and out of the restaurant as soon as possible so they could re-seat the table as many times as possible that evening. Anyway, after the appetizer we ordered our dinners which came with soup. Our daughter in law asked to substitute spatzel for the potato and was informed that there were no substitutions on weekends. At this point our server had crossed the line between merely brusk to being rude. The soup arrived within 2 minutes, which was not a problem. The problem was that our dinners were served about 2 minutes later, before we had a chance to have more than a couple of spoonfulls of soup. The food was tepid at best and any thoughts that they cook to order were completely dispelled. It was just plain- not good.
Total elapsed time from when we came in the door until we were back on the street was 1 hour and 10 minutes. If we hadn't deliberately tried to slow things down it would have been more like 1/2 hour. Ok for a diner, drive-in or dive, but not for the experience we were looking for of a good meal in an nice restaurant.
We will not be back.