“It was just ok”

Deer Valley Petroglyph Preserve
Ranked #1 of 3 Tours in Glendale
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Center for Archaeology and Society's Deer Valley Petroglyph Preserve features one of the largest concentrations of prehistoric petroglyphs in the Phoenix Valley. Visit the museum galleries to learn about the prehistoric peoples that traveled through this location as well as cutting edge research on Southwest Archaeology, then view the petroglyphs and encounter native desert plants and animals in their natural habitat along the quarter mile trail. Admission discounts available for seniors, children, students, and AAA members. Free admission Memorial Day through Labor Day for active duty military and their families. Free admission on the 3rd Saturdays of each month. Please see our webpage or call for upcoming event, special program, and closure information. Open Tuesday - Saturday. Summer hours (May-Sept): 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. Winter hours (Oct-Apr): 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I met my friend out here with her 3 yr old and I had my 4 & 9yr old.
The 10 minute orientation video was informative but very boring for the kids. The museum is well done and kept very well. The trail was nice but considering we almost signed up for the "desert flower tour" we didn't see many flowers. The petroglyphs were somewhat interesting but I felt like seeing some of them was a real stretch.
On the website they touted picnic tables and an amphitheater ag great places to eat your lunch, but the amphitheater was a stop for the regular tours and the TWO picnic tables were completely occupied with one group. We opened the back of our car and sat in there for our picnic.
The desert was beautiful, and the area was so peaceful you forgot you were a stones throw from civilization, but I don't think I'll be rushing back.

There are newer reviews for Deer Valley Petroglyph Preserve

Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is a nice urabn park (only a few miles off I-17). It costs $7/per person (can get a AAA discount) to take the 1/4 mile trail and view the petroglyphs. The small museum is informative and there is a short movie. We found the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Painted Rock Petroglyph SIte, located about 12 miles west of Gila Bend to have far easier to see petrophyphs.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

The small museum was informative and the tour of the rock art was nice. One of my highlights was to actually throw a spear with the atlatl. I was surprised at the amount of leverage the atlatl gave to the throw of the spear.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This attraction is not well known, but when you go there you will find out who runs and staffs the museum. It is a beautiful attraction, and well worth the drive. Evidently you can also bring picnic lunches there and spend hours. The sides of the hills are covered with petroglyphs of ancient dwellers in the area, and the museum building has the visual history of the people who lived there. It would be a terrific outing for the spring or fall. Reasonable admission and lots of history

1  Thank Willowdances1
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I love the workers and volunteers at the center. Brian U. is very dedicated and always has something interesting to share. The volunteers are engaged and friendly. We visited during one of the festivals and enjoyed the music of a native American band. My 17-month old great niece danced and danced! Very interesting and fun place to visit!

1  Thank KarenfromtheUP