“There are no better pancakes anywhere!”
Review of JP Pancake

JP Pancake
Ranked #110 of 450 Restaurants in Gilbert
Cuisines: American
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Read this carefully. THE PANCAKES are the best you'll ever eat whether they are the traditional griddle type or the baked ones. The fried potatoes have a great seasoning to them and the bacon is thick and crispy. I can't talk about the omelette's because I don't eat eggs. The staff at this location is very friendly and attentive to their guests. The Scottsdale location I am sorry to say has a kitchen staff that doesn't like their jobs or their location and it shows every day. If you look at the Scottsdale locations reviews you will see some fairly negative remarks to which I concur. The Gilbert location is a different animal. Better food, better service, better attitudes by all who work there. I frequent this place even though there are two other places very close by. The only negative comment I have for both locations is that the coffee is probably the worst I've ever had and that does tend to dampen the whole breakfast experience a little for me but I am a bit of a coffee snob anyway. If they get a different (better) coffee vendor this place will be unbeatable. There is also some cool art on the walls done by a local artist. Overall it's a warm, cozy place and again, you won't find better pancakes anywhere. Give it a try!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I enjoy discovering new local restaurants through Groupon (www.Groupon.com) and were excited to try JP Pancake on her day off. When we arrived there were only a few people in the dining room and the lone waitress invited us to seat ourselves at a rather large booth. When the owner/manager saw that we wanted something smaller he invited us to take a seat at a cozier table for two. I eventually told my wife that I wanted to move because I felt like I was sitting in the kitchen (it was actually a prep area for the wait staff but there was a rather unclean looking stainless steel piece of equipment next our table that didn’t help to work up my appetite).
I’m not usually a pancake kind of person but I wanted to make sure I ordered some since the word was a major part of the name of the restaurant. I was disappointed that they didn’t offer a multigrain choice. It would seem to me that any place that specializes in pancakes would offer something more than a traditional pancake batter. To their credit they do offered countless ways to top their pancakes.
I ordered an oven-baked omelet with pancakes. The pancakes were average as was the omelet. I was surprised that the onions were not sautéed. Thankfully I enjoy red onion so I didn’t mind that they were raw. My wife ordered the Belgian waffle with an egg over-medium and sausage. She was disappointed that the waffle was “leathery” which indicated that it wasn’t fresh to order (she commented that she’s had better waffles at a Choice Hotel complimentary breakfast bar.) Her egg was under cooked which caused her to ask for a second plate (since she has boundary issues with cross contaminating her food – specifically egg yolks and syrups). Thankfully, she enjoyed the sausage.
When we paid the bill the owner/manager (I assume it was the manager because I could not imagine that the owner would wear flip flops in and out of the kitchen…that was a bit distracting) approached me to inform me that they charge $1 for credit card charges under $10 (my bill came to $8 after the Groupon was applied). I never carry cash, and unfortunately my wife didn’t have any on here. The manager’s body language seemed to suggest that we could run across the parking lot and pull out cash at the bank’s ATM thereby avoiding the charge (but in my case I would have accrued an even greater foreign ATM fee) so I just paid the extra dollar. I have to admit that it’s been a long time since I came across a minimum charge fee…anywhere.
Overall, the food was no better than average and JP Pancake did nothing to set itself apart from Denny’s. While I wish them luck in the future I think I’ll pass on their Groupon the next time it comes up.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

It's hard to find a breakfast place that makes these rare treats but JP Pancake does and they are delish! These babies take 20-25 minutes to make but are worth the wait. JP's version features fresh apples baked into the pancake in a buttery cinnamon sugar glaze. Outstanding! P.S. The service was great, too!

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I don't know how JP makes their pancakes - I think there must be space aliens in the kitchen or something like that. They are slightly crispy on the outside and warm and delicious on the inside. The service is really good as is the coffee.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We first visited here on Monday, 11 July 2011 with a Groupon.

The restaurant is located in Lakeview Village Shopping Center (plaza) on the SE corner of Baseline & Val Vista. We arrived just after 11am and were the only patrons in the restaurant. We were promptly seated.

The appearance was generally clean and pleasant and typical for a strip-mall type restaurant.

We both ordered the “Egg White Omelette with Fruit or Yogurt $8.75”.

The omelet consisted of 3 egg whites with our choice of 3 ingredients. We both chose onions, spinach, tomatoes and added cheddar cheese for 50 cents each. It was a decent size omelet and cooked perfectly. Very tasty. The vegetables were in very good proportions and size relative to each other and the eggs. Something often ignored in some restaurants.

The fruit cup was a full 8oz cup or more with fresh, tasty and ripe strawberries, bananas, cantaloupe and red grapes.

The service was excellent. Cheerful, helpful (but not excessive) and very quick. Although we were the only one’s there so there’s no way to judge if that is normal.

IN MY FIRST REVIEW, I stated that the price is a bit much for what you get in terms of food, value, and atmosphere relative to other breakfast restaurants and that I would not choose JP over IHOP or similar breakfast restaurants unless I thought the wait would be shorter or possibly for a less noisy/busy atmosphere.

Due to Entertainment Guide BOGO coupons, three subsequent visits have changed that. In these subsequent visits we tried their Oven-Baked Pancakes which is their specialty.

These pancakes are far more similar to pancakes that are interchangeably called Dutch Pancakes, Dutch Babies or German Pancakes than American pancakes.

On 12 December I ordered the Blueberry (all are $8.50) with wild blueberries topped with sugar- cinnamon. It was decadent. Like eating a warmed California Apple Fritter, only with blueberries. Pure deliciousness.

In January I ordered the Banana. Again pure deliciousness, but not as good as the blueberry.

On 6 February we ordered the Apple and the Blueberry again. These are our favorites. We highly recommend you try any of them.

DO NOT PUT SYRUP ON THEM. That would substantially diminish the taste.

We will of course be back again….and again….and again…..