“Very satisfactory overnight stay”

BEST WESTERN Space Age Lodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Gila Bend
Alpine, Texas
“Very satisfactory overnight stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Very satisfactory overnight stay. Lots of flies outside, and a fly swatter in the room, but didn't have to use it. Breakfast next door at the Space Age Cafe was very good. Passing trains were a bit of an annoyance, but other than that our stay was fine.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
Jacksonville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is a really unique hotel with historical background. The restaurant has great food and I love the fact that your free breakfast is at the restaurant and you get something off the menu. The showers in the rooms are a little dated but overall the rooms are nice and very clean. I was on business but would love to come back here on vacation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Leucadia, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Fun theme, clean,a stopover for us on the way to Scottsdale. The included breakfast was a great start for our day and a great valuce, especially with 4 of us. You can pick anything you want from the menu at the diner next door up to $10.
People complain about the trains, but they didn't bother me.
I was a little bummed when I needed to print an emergency plane ticket and the lobby printer was out of ink. They had no refill cartridges.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Indio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Located on a main highway, lots of semi trucks travel there but not too terribly noisey. The train noise may keep you awake. Great theme hotel, good location for your route from California to New Mexico.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

DFW, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

For my business trip, this was one of the closest to my work location, and the finest. Don't stay here if you're looking for the latest and greatest design, style, amenities, etc. I stayed here due to the proximity of the work location I was temporarily assigned to. It's a good, clean place to stay, just not the latest styling or most up-to-date. I think the room rates are a bit high based on the area, but overall this place met my needs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

aqlollipop
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Ever since I discovered this place existed I wanted to stay here on our road trip through Arizona. So we did. It is pretty much exactly as the review state. It does a great job of taking it's theme and running with it throughout the hotel and restaurant. The rooms were nice, clean, and spacious with nice space themed decor. The restaurant was nice, the food good, the service very pleasant and courteous. The problem of course is the trains. I can't say how often they run, but they are only a problem when they blow their horn, which they seem to do with some frequency. Someone at the front desk told my mom that the trains stopped at 11pm, but that turned out to be false. To be honest I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and only noticed one train in the middle of the night. My mom and my daughter were much more bothered by the noise. I wasn't even sure I had heard the trains at night, but they both confirmed that yes, the trains had been going all night long :( That is the only reason I can't give this place higher marks because I do love a theme hotel, it's just fun and we had fun staying here...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We have stayed at this Best Western before and with our previous experience here, returned as we finished our annual road trip to the midwest.
The experience this time was good with the check-in handled very efficiently by the clerk, who was very customer service oriented, the room was warm and inviting with all basic furnishing in working order.
The property has a working swimming pool and ice can be picked up at the front desk.
We ate at the restaurant for both dinner and used the $20. coupon for breakfast and found the food tasty with generous portions and reasonably priced. The service was excellent and the small gift shop was inviting.
The only negative is that we were charged a $20. pet fee at check-out. but when we made the reservations by phone, we inquired about a pet fee and were told there was no fee and checking the motel's web site, it did not mention a pet fee, and the print directory for the motel also did NOT mention a pet fee, although all sources for this motel welcomed pets.
Adding $20. onto an already expensive room for the area just added insult onto injury and the check-out clerk was NOT pleasant when I asked why this pet was added after the fact and could the pet fee be removed, as it was not mentioned anywhere. The clerk just responded with a definitve "NO" . . .
In the future we will probably bypass this location for one that is less expensive and has full disclosure of rates.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

2 Thank Kent H

Been to BEST WESTERN Space Age Lodge? Share your experiences!