“Better than the rest...”

Best Western Space Age Lodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Gila Bend
DFW, United States
“Better than the rest...”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

For my business trip, this was one of the closest to my work location, and the finest. Don't stay here if you're looking for the latest and greatest design, style, amenities, etc. I stayed here due to the proximity of the work location I was temporarily assigned to. It's a good, clean place to stay, just not the latest styling or most up-to-date. I think the room rates are a bit high based on the area, but overall this place met my needs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
aqlollipop
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Ever since I discovered this place existed I wanted to stay here on our road trip through Arizona. So we did. It is pretty much exactly as the review state. It does a great job of taking it's theme and running with it throughout the hotel and restaurant. The rooms were nice, clean, and spacious with nice space themed decor. The restaurant was nice, the food good, the service very pleasant and courteous. The problem of course is the trains. I can't say how often they run, but they are only a problem when they blow their horn, which they seem to do with some frequency. Someone at the front desk told my mom that the trains stopped at 11pm, but that turned out to be false. To be honest I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and only noticed one train in the middle of the night. My mom and my daughter were much more bothered by the noise. I wasn't even sure I had heard the trains at night, but they both confirmed that yes, the trains had been going all night long :( That is the only reason I can't give this place higher marks because I do love a theme hotel, it's just fun and we had fun staying here...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We have stayed at this Best Western before and with our previous experience here, returned as we finished our annual road trip to the midwest.
The experience this time was good with the check-in handled very efficiently by the clerk, who was very customer service oriented, the room was warm and inviting with all basic furnishing in working order.
The property has a working swimming pool and ice can be picked up at the front desk.
We ate at the restaurant for both dinner and used the $20. coupon for breakfast and found the food tasty with generous portions and reasonably priced. The service was excellent and the small gift shop was inviting.
The only negative is that we were charged a $20. pet fee at check-out. but when we made the reservations by phone, we inquired about a pet fee and were told there was no fee and checking the motel's web site, it did not mention a pet fee, and the print directory for the motel also did NOT mention a pet fee, although all sources for this motel welcomed pets.
Adding $20. onto an already expensive room for the area just added insult onto injury and the check-out clerk was NOT pleasant when I asked why this pet was added after the fact and could the pet fee be removed, as it was not mentioned anywhere. The clerk just responded with a definitve "NO" . . .
In the future we will probably bypass this location for one that is less expensive and has full disclosure of rates.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank Kent H
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I had read the previous reviews on the noisy level regarding the trains. The tracks are about 60 yards from the hotel and the trains run 24/7 about 1-3 per hour. We had two rooms one was very noisy, we could hear everythimg from the road and all the trains. In the other one the AC unit drowned them out, so it may just be matter of which room you get.

The beds were great, very comfortable. There were tiny little green bugs on the curtain that we noticed when we walked in, they were all dead and didn't really concern me but others might be bothered.
Overall an average place to sleep if you can stand the noise. The breakfast in the restaurant was great.

• Stayed May 2013
Carole F, Front Office Manager at Best Western Space Age Lodge, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Hall,
Thank you for your comments/concerns, by letting us know what you like or didn't like and what we may need to change. By doing so you are helping us provide great customer service for your and future guest. I do send my sincer apology for the insects in the room and the train noise.

Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed May 5, 2013

When I was little, and would drive through Gila Bend on the way to San Diego, I would beg my parents to stop at the Space Age. Unfortunately, my begging did not work. My husband thought that I had lost my mind when I planned this overnight escape with other friends who found themselves in the same predicament as children. The motel is VERY clean. The staff is very nice and professional. The rooms were a nice size and even had a refrigerator. The hot tub was the perfect temperature. Murals on the walls throughout the lobby and restaurant were awesome! Food in the restaurant was very good. I would recommend without hesitation a stay at this classic motor lodge!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Carole F, Front Office Manager at Best Western Space Age Lodge, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for your comments. You are letting us know what you liked or didn't like about your stay is helping us provide superior customer service for you and our future guest. We are pleased to hear you were able to achieve your childhood dream.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The Space Age Lodge looks just like 100 other motels that I stayed in with my parents when we traveled around the country in the 1960s and 1970s. In fact, who knows, I may have even stayed here in 1970!

So my expectations were not that high when I checked in. But I was pleasantly surprised! The rooms are really nice! They have been MAJORLY upgraded. Large TV, really good mattress, great WiFi, etc. In fact, my plans were to just stay here one night on my way to Organ Pipe Cactus, but I decided to stay an additional night on my way out of the monument.

The rooms are pretty quiet, I couldn't hear my neighbors at all. However, a main rail line runs behind the motel and trains come through 24/7. I could deal with it, but you have been warned!

They give you a $10 voucher for breakfast in the adjoining restaurant, which is enough for most orders, unless you start ordering a bunch of extra stuff. I spent about $2.00 on both days (anything over the $10, you pay).

The space age theme is also pretty cool. I never though I would eat in a coffee shop with a HUGE painting of the starship Enterprise in front of me!

This is by far the best place in Gila Bend and a good choice for a side trip to Organ Pipe Cactus, which takes a day if you are serious about the cactus like I am. Forget about staying in Ajo, the motels there are horrible. The Space Age is really a nice place!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank MichaelMorrison
Carole F, Front Office Manager at Best Western Space Age Lodge, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear, Mr. Morrison, on behalf of the entire team here at Space Age lodge would like to thank you for your comments. You are helping us provide great customer service by letting us know what you liked or did not like about our services. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will visit us again soon!

Front Desk Manager
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Space Age Lodge after research into other locations in the area. There is a reason people of discriminating taste stay here. Nothing else in the area is suitable. However, that doesn't make the Best Western Space Age Lodge scrimp on giving their guests a good value. In addition to having kitsch and quirky space age humor, the hotel is very clean and spacious. They are taking measures to update their rooms and furnishings as time dictates.

The outside looks questionable (I'm not a huge motel fan), but the inside doesn't disappoint.

The wifi was responsive, hot water was great, and rooms even had fun lamps. The bed was very comfortable, and we didn't hear the trains. (I will say that we wore earplugs after reading the other reviews.)

The breakfast is not your standard fare. We were given a gift certificate for the restaurant next door and were able to order off of the regular menu. My husband and I were both able to get a meal and beverage. The food was really tasty too.

We really enjoyed the spaced aged theme and really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristy M

Been to Best Western Space Age Lodge? Share your experiences!