“Best pulled pork I ever had”
Review of Smokey's Bbq - CLOSED

Smokey's Bbq
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I had the best pulled pork sandwich I ever had at Smokey's. It was pretty cheap to boot. The fries are good and different with a good look at the Fountain!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

February 2014. Smokey's BBQ is new to Fountain Hills. They are located by the Fountain/Lake in a beautiful new restaurant. Here's the problem... The BBQ was horrible. I have eaten BBQ from all over the country and consider myself knowledgable on what is good BBQ and isn't. Unfortunately, this BBQ falls into the category of "Isn't". My wife had the $7.00 smoked turkey sandwich consisting of a few thin slices of turkey on a big dry bun with MOLD on it. That was returned. I had the $15.00 Two Meat Plate w/ two sides. I ordered the St. Louis Style Ribs and brisket with beans and coleslaw. It was terrible! I started by cutting away 25% of the fat on the brisket. The two 1" strips of brisket that were left were laced with fat. I know brisket is a fatty cut of meat and the fat makes it moist BUT this tasted like i was eating straight fat. The BBQ sauce was good and covered up the fatty taste. I don't even know how to describe the ribs. They were like terrible baked ribs from an oven... Totally over cooked.... No smoke ring to be found. They seemed like they were parboiled, then baked in a oven and then put in the smoker for a while. A real disappointment! The coleslaw was commercial grade. The beans were ok. The whole experience was NOT good at Smokey's. I hope they up their game and focus on improving their product. It's a bad value for the money and the food portions and quality don't warrant the price. To be fair, I talked with the owner and told him all the things I wrote in this review. He defended himself and his product. He also comped the food which normally I don't let them do. In this case I did and it was appreciated because I really would have felt ripped off it I paid for it.... so I give him credit for doing the right thing. I wish them luck with their new venture but I'm going to stay for now. PS: I was talking to a friend who tried the pulled pork sandwich. She said the bun was huge and there was very little meat on the bun. Hmmmm!

3  Thank 1DangerousDiner