“Business Trip to Copperwynd”

CopperWynd Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Fountain Hills
Poulsbo, Washington
“Business Trip to Copperwynd”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I just got back from a business trip where I arranged for rooms and a meeting room at the Copperwynd. We had an exceptional visit. The rooms were very large with terrific views. The athletic facilities were superb. The meeting room was accommodating and we were very well taken care of. The restaurant was very good with outstanding views. And importantly, at every turn from the check in to check out, we were treated royally. I highly recommend the Copperwynd for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Second floor facing the golf course!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
kyled46, Front Office Manager at CopperWynd Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Mr. Weedin,
Thank you for the nice review. We are glad you and the business group enjoyed your time with us at CopperWynd. It looks like you folks had a very productive and successful meeting. We hope to have you back with us soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have stayed at CopperWynd many times. Always have a great experience. The staff is wonderful. They make you feel at home from the minute you walk in the door! We travel a lot and have had many wonderful hotel experiences. CopperWynd is one hotel we return to time and time again. Relaxing and rejuvenating, it has it all!! Thank you CopperWynd for starting our New Year
with a smile!!! The Lovings

Room Tip: We like 214 for a king. We like top floor. Enjoy!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
kyled46, Front Office Manager at CopperWynd Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for the review! It was so nice to have you back with us. Glad to hear the holidays were good, and happy we were able to bring in the New Year with you. Many thanks.....we will see you soon.
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We loved the place. Terrific setting. Alchemy restaurant is very good -- we ate lunch and dinner there, and didn't have anything that wasn't top-notch. The rooms were nice, and all had a balcony view of a beautiful valley. There is no breakfast on site, and no room service at all, which made the plan to totally hibernate not work out that well. The fact we had to drive 10 miles for breakfast was not great. The workout facilities are great. The spa was very nice, but the person giving my wife had a terrible cold and, well, within 48 hours, so did my wife. They should know better than to come to work that way. We would have preferred a cancellation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy,

Thank you for the review. We are glad you enjoyed our setting high atop the hillside and yuor dining expereince. We are pleased to share, that in the upcoming months we will be introducing a Barista that will be open 7 days a week and will feature breakfast and pastry items along with sandwiches. My apologies with what you have shared regarding the spa service, and have addressed this with the spa manager. We hope to have you back for another staycation.
La Habra, California
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Where do I even start... In the interest of full disclosure, my stay at CopperWynd was on Dec 1, 2012 and paid for with a voucher I won from the Scottsdale Chamber of Commerce. This is a good thing because I would've demanded my money back if I'd had to pay for it.

When we arrived, I was told the room with 2 queen beds that I had reserved months prior (and confirmed 2 days before our arrival) was not available. We were told this was due to a sewage problem in multiple rooms. Ewwwwww. I was pretty ticked off because I was at the resort with my mother and son - 3 in a bed? No thanks. The person at the front desk refused to do anything except a) shove a roll-away in the room or b) put us in a room with sewage issues or c) we could come back another time (yes these were actually the things he suggested). How about a spa credit, a fruit basket, or a flippin glass of wine? Nope. So, I asked to speak to the manager but he/she did not answer the employee's phone call. We were stuck with the king & roll-away or a 6 hour drive back to CA.

A few minutes later, while I was waiting for my mom & son to emerge from the lobby bathroom (which she told me was gross, with stains on carpet and sofa), I overheard the employee speaking with the manager via phone about what had happened. So I know he/she was informed, but at no point during our stay did the manager make any attempt to contact us about the myriad of problems we experienced. There's much more to come you see....

Once in our room, we saw a grungy roll-away shoved up against the wall. When I attempted to place it in the room, I found that the steel frame and mattress weighed about a hundred-fifty lbs and I almost cut off my toe when the thing came crashing down (see photo). The bed did not come with any blankets and there were none extra in the room, so we had to call the front desk to get some. Then we went to get ice and the machine was broken, so we had to call the front desk to get some. Then the TV didn't work, so we had to call the front desk to get someone to fix it. That took about 45 minutes because the system needed re-booting, and we were never provided the channel list we requested or the instructions for using the remote. Later that night we were told the ice machine had been fixed and went to get some - but SURPRISE! no ice. Hello, front desk?

The following morning, after a fantastic dinner at Alchemy (separate review) we were awakened at the butt crack of dawn by some weird screeching, chirpy sound (see photo taken at dawn - about 30 min after this). It wasn't wildlife - it was the smoke detector letting us know the batteries needed replacing. No chance my son was going back to sleep after that so we called the front desk AGAIN. We told the front desk person who came to our room about the plethora of issues we'd had, hoping for some kind of acknowledgement but.... nothing. It wasn't a total waste though because we got to see the woman literally get knocked over by the 150lb roll away bed when we asked her to remove it. So, at least she knows first hand what I went through trying to maneuver that piece of crap.

Why even 2 stars? The view from our room was magnificent!!! And the bathroom was very spacious with a lovely jacuzzi tub and nice robes (very poor lighting for make-up though). But other than the view and the bath, I really don't have anything nice to say about my stay CopperWynd.

Room Tip: I was informed that guests' room choice (1 king or 2 queens) is NOT guaranteed; so if you must h...
6 Thank Mar_SC_ella
I would like to apologize and let you know many of the issues you had throughout your stay are not typical here at CopperWynd. We hire and train some of the most qualified hospitality staff the Valley has to offer and are committed to each and every guest we have interaction with. I apologize for the number of different issues you experienced throughout your stay; the items you mentioned from an operational standpoint have been addressed and fixed. The comment you expressed regarding the lack of care and consideration by the staff I would have to disagree with you on, and say how inappropriate your demeanor and attitude was to the staff during your stay. My front office team takes great pride in the level of service they provide to each and every guest they have the pleasure of interacting with. I am confident in the front office team and the options that were provided to help overcome the “obstacles” you had experienced. I know they provided the effort, consideration, and options to help accommodate in the best way possible.

There are some magnificent reviews posted on Tripadvisor that talk about our levels of service, the excellent staff, the beautiful property grounds, the restaurant, and panoramic views that extend forever. We treat each and every guest with the same level of service and respect: from high profile VIP’s, to returning guest, from guest visiting us for the first time, guest with a complimentary stay, or guest that would have purchased through a discount deals site like Groupon.

I would like to thank you for staying with us,

Kyle
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We love to come and have dinner at the Alchemy Restaurant, but have never stayed at the resort. Decided to stay this year and we are very glad we did. The views are AWESOME and the rooms are very comfortable. We were a little disappointed when the gas fireplace kept going out and no on the premises at night to fix it. The other disappointment is that they don't serve breakfast. Other than those two items, we are looking forward to and making a point of a return visit.
Beautiful resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
kyled46, Front Office Manager at CopperWynd Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for the review. We are so glad you had the opportunity to stay in one of the hotel rooms, after having dinner with us. Our apologies that the fireplace in the room kept going out; our maintenance department is usually not staffed 24 hours or afterhours. We hope you were able to enjoy the rest of the room amenities without the lack of the fireplace interupting the evening.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Front desk staff very helpful. Rooms of world class level. Went with world travelling family members visiting from New Zealand, and we all agreed this was a great way to stay in Scottsdale. The restaurant, Alchemey, had lovely menu, fabulous views, and welcoming and knowledgible staff. Downside: Restaurant, bar, spas are all lease enterprises, so everything had to be paid separately, no signing privilages to room. They do not have room service or breakfast service, so we went to the golf club down the road. Beautiful views of the golf course, but breakfast was not remarkable. Considering that it's the only 'game in town' for breakfast, they could be more inventive, more creative and try for a more varied menu. Best part, nothing was more than $8.00

Lexi,

Thank you for the review. We are thrilled you all enjoyed your visit to Scottsdale and your stay with us. We are currently working on allowing our hotel guest to be able to charge incidentials to their guest room (from for example any charges in the restaurant and or spa). We hope you were able to enjoy all the amenities, and that you weren't too inconvienced with not being able to charge incidentials to your room. We hope to see you back in the future.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were acquainted with this resort when a friend who knew we were headed to Scottsdale noticed an article in the LA Times Travel section. It seemed a very reasonable price & we didn't know of anywhere else to stay so we booked.

How delighted we were when we arrived to find this exquisite resort which was like a jewel in the Nile! The reception desk was so welcoming and the guy there said all the rooms would have a beautiful view. Needless to say we were not disappointed! The rooms were lovely. The balcony overlooked a view of the mountains in the background.

We stayed for 2 nights. The first night we were going out to meet relatives so we had a drink at the bar. Cocktails were great. The only odd thing was that you couldn't hook your drinks or food onto your account as they were a separate business. A bit odd!
We invited our relatives over for drinks & a meal on the second night & the food & service in the restaurant was lovely. Good presentation of the plates, p,entry to eat & delicious.

My brother & I tried out the Hot Yoga at the gym which was also included in the price. We also enjoyed that.

All in all we would definitely suggest this resort. And if you are a golfer, there is a fine looking golf club adjacent to the resort as well.

Room Tip: It seems that all the rooms have a view
Fran,

Thank you for the review. We are so glad you had the chance to stay with us and enjoy the facilities. Wishing you a very Happy New Year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fountain Hills
Inn at Eagle Mountain
#1 of 5 in Fountain Hills
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley

Been to CopperWynd Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!