Where do I even start... In the interest of full disclosure, my stay at CopperWynd was on Dec 1, 2012 and paid for with a voucher I won from the Scottsdale Chamber of Commerce. This is a good thing because I would've demanded my money back if I'd had to pay for it.
When we arrived, I was told the room with 2 queen beds that I had reserved months prior (and confirmed 2 days before our arrival) was not available. We were told this was due to a sewage problem in multiple rooms. Ewwwwww. I was pretty ticked off because I was at the resort with my mother and son - 3 in a bed? No thanks. The person at the front desk refused to do anything except a) shove a roll-away in the room or b) put us in a room with sewage issues or c) we could come back another time (yes these were actually the things he suggested). How about a spa credit, a fruit basket, or a flippin glass of wine? Nope. So, I asked to speak to the manager but he/she did not answer the employee's phone call. We were stuck with the king & roll-away or a 6 hour drive back to CA.
A few minutes later, while I was waiting for my mom & son to emerge from the lobby bathroom (which she told me was gross, with stains on carpet and sofa), I overheard the employee speaking with the manager via phone about what had happened. So I know he/she was informed, but at no point during our stay did the manager make any attempt to contact us about the myriad of problems we experienced. There's much more to come you see....
Once in our room, we saw a grungy roll-away shoved up against the wall. When I attempted to place it in the room, I found that the steel frame and mattress weighed about a hundred-fifty lbs and I almost cut off my toe when the thing came crashing down (see photo). The bed did not come with any blankets and there were none extra in the room, so we had to call the front desk to get some. Then we went to get ice and the machine was broken, so we had to call the front desk to get some. Then the TV didn't work, so we had to call the front desk to get someone to fix it. That took about 45 minutes because the system needed re-booting, and we were never provided the channel list we requested or the instructions for using the remote. Later that night we were told the ice machine had been fixed and went to get some - but SURPRISE! no ice. Hello, front desk?
The following morning, after a fantastic dinner at Alchemy (separate review) we were awakened at the butt crack of dawn by some weird screeching, chirpy sound (see photo taken at dawn - about 30 min after this). It wasn't wildlife - it was the smoke detector letting us know the batteries needed replacing. No chance my son was going back to sleep after that so we called the front desk AGAIN. We told the front desk person who came to our room about the plethora of issues we'd had, hoping for some kind of acknowledgement but.... nothing. It wasn't a total waste though because we got to see the woman literally get knocked over by the 150lb roll away bed when we asked her to remove it. So, at least she knows first hand what I went through trying to maneuver that piece of crap.
Why even 2 stars? The view from our room was magnificent!!! And the bathroom was very spacious with a lovely jacuzzi tub and nice robes (very poor lighting for make-up though). But other than the view and the bath, I really don't have anything nice to say about my stay CopperWynd.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- CopperWynd Resort & Spa is an intimate 35-room resort in Scottsdale/Fountain Hills that provides guests with an exceptional getaway punctuated by dramatic views from its lofty vantage point in the majestic McDowell Mountains overlooking Fountain Hills, Arizona. The resort offers luxury accommodations, a full-service spa, 5,000-sq-ft fitness center and Flourish restaurant and bar featuring New American Cuisine. With so many Valley of the Sun vacation destinations to choose from, CopperWynd's unique experience appeals to those wishing to enjoy the Sonoran desert's distinctive brand of quiet solitude while being within a 15-minute drive to Scottsdale's dining, shopping, art and nightlife attractions. CopperWynd shines as a romantic getaway and Scottsdale wedding venue, and is also well-suited to small corporate retreats. Golfers appreciate the close proximity to golf clubs including SunRidge Canyon, Eagle Mountain and We-Ko-Pa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your CopperWynd Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Copperwynd Resort And Club Hotel Fountain Hills
- Copperwynd Hotel Fountain Hills
- Copperwynd Resort Fountain Hills