“Problems, Problems, Problems”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Fountain Hills
La Habra, California
“Problems, Problems, Problems”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Where do I even start... In the interest of full disclosure, my stay at CopperWynd was on Dec 1, 2012 and paid for with a voucher I won from the Scottsdale Chamber of Commerce. This is a good thing because I would've demanded my money back if I'd had to pay for it.

When we arrived, I was told the room with 2 queen beds that I had reserved months prior (and confirmed 2 days before our arrival) was not available. We were told this was due to a sewage problem in multiple rooms. Ewwwwww. I was pretty ticked off because I was at the resort with my mother and son - 3 in a bed? No thanks. The person at the front desk refused to do anything except a) shove a roll-away in the room or b) put us in a room with sewage issues or c) we could come back another time (yes these were actually the things he suggested). How about a spa credit, a fruit basket, or a flippin glass of wine? Nope. So, I asked to speak to the manager but he/she did not answer the employee's phone call. We were stuck with the king & roll-away or a 6 hour drive back to CA.

A few minutes later, while I was waiting for my mom & son to emerge from the lobby bathroom (which she told me was gross, with stains on carpet and sofa), I overheard the employee speaking with the manager via phone about what had happened. So I know he/she was informed, but at no point during our stay did the manager make any attempt to contact us about the myriad of problems we experienced. There's much more to come you see....

Once in our room, we saw a grungy roll-away shoved up against the wall. When I attempted to place it in the room, I found that the steel frame and mattress weighed about a hundred-fifty lbs and I almost cut off my toe when the thing came crashing down (see photo). The bed did not come with any blankets and there were none extra in the room, so we had to call the front desk to get some. Then we went to get ice and the machine was broken, so we had to call the front desk to get some. Then the TV didn't work, so we had to call the front desk to get someone to fix it. That took about 45 minutes because the system needed re-booting, and we were never provided the channel list we requested or the instructions for using the remote. Later that night we were told the ice machine had been fixed and went to get some - but SURPRISE! no ice. Hello, front desk?

The following morning, after a fantastic dinner at Alchemy (separate review) we were awakened at the butt crack of dawn by some weird screeching, chirpy sound (see photo taken at dawn - about 30 min after this). It wasn't wildlife - it was the smoke detector letting us know the batteries needed replacing. No chance my son was going back to sleep after that so we called the front desk AGAIN. We told the front desk person who came to our room about the plethora of issues we'd had, hoping for some kind of acknowledgement but.... nothing. It wasn't a total waste though because we got to see the woman literally get knocked over by the 150lb roll away bed when we asked her to remove it. So, at least she knows first hand what I went through trying to maneuver that piece of crap.

Why even 2 stars? The view from our room was magnificent!!! And the bathroom was very spacious with a lovely jacuzzi tub and nice robes (very poor lighting for make-up though). But other than the view and the bath, I really don't have anything nice to say about my stay CopperWynd.

Room Tip: I was informed that guests' room choice (1 king or 2 queens) is NOT guaranteed; so if you must h...
6 Thank Mar_SC_ella
kyled46, Front Office Manager at CopperWynd Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
I would like to apologize and let you know many of the issues you had throughout your stay are not typical here at CopperWynd. We hire and train some of the most qualified hospitality staff the Valley has to offer and are committed to each and every guest we have interaction with. I apologize for the number of different issues you experienced throughout your stay; the items you mentioned from an operational standpoint have been addressed and fixed. The comment you expressed regarding the lack of care and consideration by the staff I would have to disagree with you on, and say how inappropriate your demeanor and attitude was to the staff during your stay. My front office team takes great pride in the level of service they provide to each and every guest they have the pleasure of interacting with. I am confident in the front office team and the options that were provided to help overcome the “obstacles” you had experienced. I know they provided the effort, consideration, and options to help accommodate in the best way possible.

There are some magnificent reviews posted on Tripadvisor that talk about our levels of service, the excellent staff, the beautiful property grounds, the restaurant, and panoramic views that extend forever. We treat each and every guest with the same level of service and respect: from high profile VIP’s, to returning guest, from guest visiting us for the first time, guest with a complimentary stay, or guest that would have purchased through a discount deals site like Groupon.

I would like to thank you for staying with us,

Kyle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We love to come and have dinner at the Alchemy Restaurant, but have never stayed at the resort. Decided to stay this year and we are very glad we did. The views are AWESOME and the rooms are very comfortable. We were a little disappointed when the gas fireplace kept going out and no on the premises at night to fix it. The other disappointment is that they don't serve breakfast. Other than those two items, we are looking forward to and making a point of a return visit.
Beautiful resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
kyled46, Front Office Manager at CopperWynd Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for the review. We are so glad you had the opportunity to stay in one of the hotel rooms, after having dinner with us. Our apologies that the fireplace in the room kept going out; our maintenance department is usually not staffed 24 hours or afterhours. We hope you were able to enjoy the rest of the room amenities without the lack of the fireplace interupting the evening.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Front desk staff very helpful. Rooms of world class level. Went with world travelling family members visiting from New Zealand, and we all agreed this was a great way to stay in Scottsdale. The restaurant, Alchemey, had lovely menu, fabulous views, and welcoming and knowledgible staff. Downside: Restaurant, bar, spas are all lease enterprises, so everything had to be paid separately, no signing privilages to room. They do not have room service or breakfast service, so we went to the golf club down the road. Beautiful views of the golf course, but breakfast was not remarkable. Considering that it's the only 'game in town' for breakfast, they could be more inventive, more creative and try for a more varied menu. Best part, nothing was more than $8.00

Lexi,

Thank you for the review. We are thrilled you all enjoyed your visit to Scottsdale and your stay with us. We are currently working on allowing our hotel guest to be able to charge incidentials to their guest room (from for example any charges in the restaurant and or spa). We hope you were able to enjoy all the amenities, and that you weren't too inconvienced with not being able to charge incidentials to your room. We hope to see you back in the future.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were acquainted with this resort when a friend who knew we were headed to Scottsdale noticed an article in the LA Times Travel section. It seemed a very reasonable price & we didn't know of anywhere else to stay so we booked.

How delighted we were when we arrived to find this exquisite resort which was like a jewel in the Nile! The reception desk was so welcoming and the guy there said all the rooms would have a beautiful view. Needless to say we were not disappointed! The rooms were lovely. The balcony overlooked a view of the mountains in the background.

We stayed for 2 nights. The first night we were going out to meet relatives so we had a drink at the bar. Cocktails were great. The only odd thing was that you couldn't hook your drinks or food onto your account as they were a separate business. A bit odd!
We invited our relatives over for drinks & a meal on the second night & the food & service in the restaurant was lovely. Good presentation of the plates, p,entry to eat & delicious.

My brother & I tried out the Hot Yoga at the gym which was also included in the price. We also enjoyed that.

All in all we would definitely suggest this resort. And if you are a golfer, there is a fine looking golf club adjacent to the resort as well.

Room Tip: It seems that all the rooms have a view
Fran,

Thank you for the review. We are so glad you had the chance to stay with us and enjoy the facilities. Wishing you a very Happy New Year!
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed 4 nights for a family reunion with a group of 14 adults from Tx, Tenn, La,and Az. Everyone was very impressed with all the amenities. The rooms and bathrooms are large and clean; beds very comfortable. Balconies and fireplaces were a plus. Spa and fitness center were great! Outdoor pools heated. Golf course fun. Restaurant easily accommodated our large group. Food was terrific. Beautiful area and views. No breakfast served but groceries close by and several good restaurants in Fountain Hills. We highly recommend CopperWynd.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
kyled46, Front Office Manager at CopperWynd Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Nina,
Thank you for the review. We are so glad to have been able to host your family reunion. It seemed as your comments state, everyone enjoyed themselves. We wish you and your family a very Happy New Year and hope to host you folks back in 2013.
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Everything was great except an incorrect amount was charged to my credit card. They promptly took care of it but then when I checked out it was back on again. Unfortunately this amounted to almost 250.00 in charges that took a day to drop off. We did not have time to use any of the amenities but I loved the big soaking tub in the bathroom -- even my hubby who is 6'2" was able to stretch his legs out. We had a late arrival and with an hour time change that I forgot about we did not get in until 2am. Jamie was waiting and even called us to make sure we were not lost as I told him we would be there by 1am (1 hour time change). It is a great location and Alchemy was wonderful for dinner. We used a Groupon rate which at $269.00 + 40 resort fee was still a little on the expensive side but for a romantic getaway was worth it. We will definetly be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica P
Jessica,

We are so glad you were able to have your "Christmas Getaway" with us. I have to apologize to you regarding the incorrect charge to your account for golf that had not taken place. There was some miscommunication on on the front desk part, and apologize the card was charged. However I hope we were able to credit the amount back and remedy the situation in a timely matter for you. I would just like to make a note that the resort does not charge a resort fee and all of our guest have access to all the facilities at no additional charge. The $40 additional charge you expereinced on the account was made up on 2 nights of taxes that were not included in the Groupon offer. From all of us here at CopperWynd, we wish you a very nice a happy Holiday and New Year. We hope to have you back with us in 2013.
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had an amazing experience. The staff are absolutely wonderful, the views spectacular, a state of the art spa... definitely a hidden gem. It's also in a great location---not too far from Scottsdale and a day trip away from the Grand Canyon. I highly recommend Cooperwynd---you seriously can't go wrong staying here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. We are so glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We hear it time and again that the property is the "Hidden Gem" in the desert. We hope we have the opportunity to have you with us again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fountain Hills
Inn at Eagle Mountain
#1 of 5 in Fountain Hills
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley

Been to CopperWynd Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!