“Arizona Dundee!”

24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Arizona Dundee!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We met the original desert expert on this tour. I swear this man knew everything there is to know about desert plant life, and is a great tour guide. I wish I could remember his name! He is the foremost expert on any variety of desert cactus that you can come up with....and his 30 years of living there is something you benefit from. If you like fun, sit in the way back of the Hummer. It is a great morning activity, dress in layers and take water. The desert and mountains are breathtaking.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank M3Mechanicsburg

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Amazing tour but too expensive”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

My man and I went on this tour and we had a blast. We loved the tour and the expirience was unlike any other. We were absolutely covered in dust by the end but it was so worth it. The only complaint I have is the price. I didn't feel like the price was all that reasonable. The tour was short and for $300 it should have been longer. The guides were fun and informative.

Visited August 2013
Seattle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Most fun ever!!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have now done the desert cars four times. Everytime someone comes into town I insist we go and they are never dissapointed. It is an absolute dirty, filthy riot!! Take a spare shirt and some towels for when you are done and take a cooler with some beers in it to celebrate at the end of the tour. The guides are wonderful!!

Visited October 2012
Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“awesome.........”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

did a hummer adventure with desert dog a couple of years ago, and thought that was a blast. visited again in april and did their U-drive buggies. Unbelivable!! the desert path we took was exciting with big rocks and up sides of desert hills, beautiful views of the desert from the top, and the guides were awesome.......Steve knew alot about the desert plants and animals. This was the best thing I have every done and not at all lame having a guide, in fact it would have been downright scary without one. LOVED IT

Visited April 2012
Queensland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Animals? You won't see animals out here (mmm but the ad said there was)”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

My travel friend was new to Arizona and we both wanted to get out of Phoenix and see some desert. Plus, we wanted to ride in a Hummer. Enter the Desert Dog. We booked a twilight trip via the net.

And it was NOT CHEAP - $150 per person.

Pick ups from private residences was not available, so we arranged to be picked up at a hotel nearby. This was fine and the hotel was most accommodating regarding our need to loiter in their lobby without being paying guests (if I didn't already have family in Phoenix I would Trip Advisor this hotel big time, they were fabulous). However, Desert Dog was 40 minutes late picking us up, not a good start.

When we were picked up, we headed north east through the Phoenix valley's urban sprawl out to the desert near Saguaro Lake. The desert reserve we drove around was used by people all the time... in the words of our tour guide, people go out there to do drugs, light big bonfires and shoot stuff. Nice.

Of course, this is not Desert Dog's fault, but there was rubbish everywhere and lots of other cars, which made the desert less than pristine.

We saw a spectacular sunset, with 360 degree views from up high of beautiful mountains and saguaro cactus, typical Sonoran landscape.

But, as it got dark, I couldn't help thinking about those Americans (country of lax gun control laws) shooting things ... just out there in the dark somewhere. I took solace in the fact that our Hummer was enormous and bright yellow ... surely able to be seen by even the most novice of shooters.

I pushed this South Western Deliverance-type scenario from my mind in the hope that, since it was now dark, we might see some critters - coyote, jack rabbit, deer, javelina etc etc. Nope. Our guide told us we had little chance of seeing anything out here. Which begged a few questions:

1. Why do they advertise that we will see critters?
2. Why does the tour go to this particular piece of desert if there are no critters but they want to continue advertising that there may be. Hmmm. Puzzling.

(if there are any Australians reading this and you are from a small town that has a "Town Common" ... this is what this desert was like).

We did see a few cotton tail rabbits and the guide did keep kicking over multiple rocks until he unearthed a scorpion. But it wasn't even the super-deadly kind.

So, in summary:

Positives: we got to drive in a Hummer, my friend saw saguaros, we did learn alot about the desert from the guide, the sunset was spectacular.

Negatives: no critters, the desert driving was an hour too long, no refreshments offered in a four hour trip, constant probability of being robbed / shot / caught in a hunter's crossfire., ridiculously overpriced, I didn't need to go to the toilet but I don't know how the guide would have dealt with it if I did (Space travel nappy? Saguaro irrigation?)

The Hummer was comfy and the guide was very personable and knowledgeable

Visited February 2012