“Oasis in middle of desert”

St. Anthony's Greek Orthodox Monastery
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Florence
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Beautiful grounds and sights! Make sure research website beforehand about the dress code. I thought I could get away with wearing pants but when I got there they gave me a skirt to put over my pants. It was sweltering but thank goodness the grounds had lots of shade and the odd fountain to cool off.

4  Thank Wintrav

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We went there the second day of our marriage.
Stayed at the monastery and then on our way back from our honeymoon we visited again and had the chance to go to the evening liturgy and take the blessing of the Elder.

4  Thank Georgia S S
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I have never been to a monastery before. It was very interesting to see the different ornate chapels and observe the monks. I would recommend it. It is self guided and the gardens are beautiful. I wish I would have understood some if the things a little better but nevertheless still a neat thing to see.

9  Thank rkcccccw
Reviewed April 28, 2013

A wonderfully peaceful venue and a delight to the eyes! A stroll around the grounds is like a walk back in time when things were more simple and life was not so filled with "social media". Well worth the trip from Tucson.

5  Thank chef m
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Out in the middle of nowhere is this oasis in the desert. The monastery is free to enter but donations are appreciated and there are gifts, religious jewellery items and home- made cookies for sale as well as olive oil pressed at the monastery from olives grown there. Visitors need to be fully covered and women must wear a scarf but if you roll up in shorts and t-shirts they lend you long shirts, skirts and head scarves to put on. This is actually half the fun as it makes everyone look the same and like little old ladies. The monks give free talks and a short tour to explain monastery life and describe the services that are held there. After the talk, you are free to wander around and soak up the peaceful atmosphere, admire the cultivation of the gardens and the spectacular artwork inside the chapels. The monastery is a working environment for the monks who live there and they are ever present going about their duties but visitors are reminded not to talk to them or take photos as they are in constant contemplation and prayer as they labour in the gardens and olive grove.

5  Thank Deb T