“Not the most inviting tasting room”

Callaghan Vineyards
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Elgin
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The tasting room is more of a warehouse with a bartop and a few stools which is a little off putting. While I enjoyed the wines I have to agree with DesertBeachLover, we found the two staff there very aloof and not at all willing to engage in conversation. The tasting rooms on either side of this winery were far nicer.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I've visited Callaghan twice. They have a good variety of wine, and I even liked their whites, although I'm generally a strictly red drinker. They have a great Tempranillo and the Claire's blend is amazing. I purchased both of those. I didn't realize at the time I was tasting but "the" Kent Callaghan was pouring for me. You might not guess by looking at him that he's one of Arizona's most successful winemakers. I even saw him carrying out cases for a customer; he seems like a very down-to-earth guy. That makes sense when you experience the tasting room. It's very no frills and "warehousey," with cases of wine stacked high behind the counter. It'd be nice if it was a little more welcoming. You can cop a squat on their patio, but there's not really too many places to sit inside, and it can get kind of crowded. It's still one of my favorite wineries, but it's not a place you'd spend all afternoon.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

First the good. Definitely the best red wines of any of the three wineries we visited in the area.

Now the not so good. The tasting takes place around a couple of tables set up in the warehouse - not the best setting for a wine tasting. .And neither the winemaker nor the girl helping him seemed too interested in doing anything other than just pouring the wines and collecting our money, Even though it was very busy, the winemaker was in the back much of the time rather than interacting with the customers.

We would go back for the wines and hopefully next time maybe a better wine tasting experience as well.

1  Thank DesertBeachLover
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Whether a seasoned wine officianado or novice, take a half hour to visit this winery. Kent Callaghan is often there working the tasting room with his wealth of knowledge and experience. It' so refreshing to meet such an unassuming, down to earth vintner with his portfolio of accomplishments...too many awards to mention plus the three state dinners at the White House where his wines were served. Who da' thunk that this high desert soil could produce such unique and outstanding wines. Pull up his website to learn the history of his wines,

1  Thank Doug L
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

This is the best wine in the area, bar none, especially if you enjoy reds. Yes, the tasting room isn't fancy, but this allows you to focus solely on the excellence of the wine. I've lived in the area and visited the winery for ten years, and Kent's product just continues to improve!

1  Thank Julesausten