“Older is not always best.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gadsden Hotel

Gadsden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Douglas
Garland, Texas
“Older is not always best.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

We found a coupon for this place that made it a good deal - if money is your only criteria. They are under renovation right now and many of the rooms are not yet completed. We requested one of the "already renovated" rooms. The room itself was large enough, the bathroom was so small it was just short of claustrophobic. We have stayed in Grand Old hotels in Cleveland and San Antonio, but this was bad - at this stage of their renovation. The lobby (almost complete) is beautiful! This place was built in 1907; burned in 1927 (except the lobby & elevator). The room: there is NO counter space in the bathroom - just a pedestal sink. The TV was large, though not flat screen and in our room, we could not turn it down. There is also no directory on the TV or printed out. I tried the remote and the buttons on the front. It would go up really, really loud, but would not go down very much. I reported this to the front desk when we checked out and she said we should have called - yeah well, about that - there was no telephone in the room either. There was not a temperature control either - but there was a space heater for warmth - I didn't think this was really a very safe idea. I did not see any A/C either and very few electrical plugs. No coffee in the room. If you decide to go anyway, request a room on the west side. We were on the east side and there are no room darkening window covers and it gets very light pretty quickly in the morning. There is not enough available staff. We checked in on a Sat night and there was one person at the front desk. This is normally no big deal, except that this hotel has a manual elevator (the kind where there actually needs to be an operator to run it) well this is the front desk person's responsibility. So when they are away from the front desk taking someone up in the elevator, no one is on the front desk. From what we saw of the remodel in our room, they seem to be doing more of a cosmetic cover-up and they must have picked up the low bid for the job. We were just really disappointed.

Room Tip: 10 blocks from the Mexican Border. Ask for a room on the west side. No in-room coffeemaker; may nee...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Shirley R, Director of Sales at Gadsden Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Texas Nana,

Thank you so much for your candid review of the Gadsden. I sincerely apologize for the problems you experienced. This is certainly not the experience we wish to provide to our guests.

I am glad that you did enjoy the lobby and I do understand your comments concerning the bathroom. As a building of historical significance, we have been careful to preserve the historical integrity of the rooms and bathrooms. We have retained the original size of both and worked hard to keep the original 1927 tile and fixtures as much as possible. It is a glimpse into a bygone era.

I invite you to come back and visit us the next time you find yourself in Douglas. Many thanks again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
scunthorpe,england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Room we had was a double room and very modern but we had a new room.it missed a few items which we mentioned to the manager and she has took notes and in the morning we had a very good breakfast which the management paid for cos of our constructive comments. It is a re modelled hotel that is well worth a visit. The hotel interior is impressive with a large grand staircase.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank g1000_8
Shirley R, General Manager at Gadsden Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear g1000_8,

I surely do appreciate your lovely comments about your recent stat at the Gadsden Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the comfortable and modern new rooms which we have just finished remodeling.

I apologize that everything was not 100% perfect but I am glad that our Director of Sales was able to assist you and provide you with a complimentary breakfast to make things right.

Please come and see us again soon. We would very much like to host you and show you the many new changes we have planned.

California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

Don't know why I like this place so much. Yes, it's a bit run down with some remodeling in progress. If you look closely, there is much work to be done. BUT, it just has a feel that really appeals to me. This is our second stay and we stayed in one of the remodeled rooms on the Mezzanine level. Room was nice and up to date. Nothing fancy but nice. Very clean. Bath is a bit small but that's because it's an older hotel. Of course the lobby is the highlight of the hotel with all the marble and stained glass. We had drinks in the bar and dinner at the hotel restaurant and enjoyed both. Front desk staff very nice and helpful. Only comment I would make would be that there was some noise from the lobby late at night from bar goers and early in the morning from staff. As the mezzanine is open to the lobby, it echos up to the room. A recommendation would be for hotel staff to keep lobby noise down at late hours; from guests and staff. Plenty of covered parking at the rear of the hotel. We look forward to our return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ok3
Dear Ok3,

Thank you so much for your kind review of your recent stay. I am very pleased that you liked our new rooms and were able to enjoy our Dining Room and Lounge as well.

Thank you so much for your nice comments about the staff. We do have a great group of folks working here and I know they will like hearing your feedback.

While the hotel has undergone some wonderful new changes, it is still a work in progress and we look forward to making many new updates in the months to come so stay tuned!

Thank you for staying with us and for your constructive advise to keep noise level down in lobby at the start of the day. I agree with you and thank you for letting me know just how much the sound is traveling to the guest rooms.

Please came back and see us soon. We look forward to welcoming you back!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Wow, when you walk in it's what you say.
Though many obvious changes are taking place, the impact was little to none. I Really enjoyed the great stories I heard of historic happenings and ghostly encounters.

I stayed in one of their newly remodeled king bed rooms. Super cozy beds, and the room was a nice clean modern design. Which was suprising, since the hotel is like over a hundred years old.

Great staff and even had a chance to check out the infamous room 333.

I liked that there was an on-site restaurant and tavern too. Looking forward coming back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Shirley R, General Manager at Gadsden Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Brian M,

Thank you so very much for your lovely comments about your recent stay with us. We are very proud of our new guest rooms and so glad you enjoyed the comfy bed and modern look of our rooms. Also, so glad you were able to enjoy our restaurant and lounge.

You're right, it's so fun to hear about the history of the hotel, Douglas and about Cochise County. We hope to have an entire section of the hotel soon which will devoted to the wonderful history, movies and events that took place at the Gadsden. Did you know that Eleanor Roosevelt spent the night? Or that the writer Thornton Wilder lived at the hotel for several months in the 60's?

Thanks for the compliment on the great staff We are very proud of our crew. Please come back and see us again soon, Brian!

Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

This is our second trip to the Gadsden. Our first trip was around 2010. This trip we took for Valentine's weekend. Our main agenda was to spend our days in Bisbee. We chose the Gadsden because our pleasant first stay. We stayed in a Jacuzzi room the first time. We stayed in room 108 this trip as the gentleman that booked us suggested it being a newly renovated room. When we first saw the room we were satisfied. The room was freshly painted and seemed to be decorated in a deco period type style furnishings.This is my postiive take on the room. We also liked the artwork of the copies of postcards from 1914 as well as blueprints of the hotel framed. Those are great. My negative with this room itself was not having an outlet in bathroom. I can make-do most things but I do need to be able to do my hair some way. If there is not a way to put outlet in a bathroom there needs to be a mirror with a table so a female can plug in and style hair. At very least, a mirror within length of an outlet. I hate to be a negative critic but I really hope the owners take these things into consideration as we love old hotels and hate to see them fail and go away. . Second and probably the biggest issue with the room was the lack of hot water both days/nights. We reported this both days to front desk and both times we were told would fix it. We were even told that it was fixed and to keep waiting for the hot water-it will be there. It never was. Sad face. The reason I would not go back honestly was the lack of attention or even care for our inconvenience. We were not offered anything. At the checkout we were just rung up and for full price of the room without even more than a quick"sorry or that" Is that hospitality? I understand an old hotel,but don't make me feel my fault having problems and charge me full price for it. Bad manners in my opinion. There was 1 beautiful person I do want to address. She only gave us the name to call her as "Zero" but she took us on a lovely tour and stories of the history on Feb 15th about 1 am. She is just lovely and with a real smile.She was a "TEN" in my book so should not sell herself short by the name "Zero" We were having a hard time sleeping because of the loudness of the bar which reminds me was another issue. Too loud. Shots were being given round after 2 am? Shots meaning shots of alcohol and also shouting.What time is last call in Douglas? Loud singing and front desk did apologize but did nothing to tone it down. We were even told they had to move other people to alternative rooms because some had complained of the noise. All in all some positive but we left mostly thinking of the negative. I never mind paying for something but want to feel like I did not walk away without a shower and tired from lack of sleep from what was supposed to be a get-away. Come on Gadsden. I know you can do better. Is this new management?Sorry but this is my review of things.

Room Tip: If you do decide to travel to the Gadsden only consider one of the newly renovated rooms. We toured...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Christina A,

I would like to thank you so very much for your candid review of your last stay at the Gadsden. I appreciate your honesty and definitely do take your comments to heart. Knowing where we have dropped the ball, helps us correct our course as we move forward.

I sincerely apologize for the problems you experienced from the lack of an outlet in the bathroom, to the lack of hot water, to the noise levels in the lounge and the lack of a "making things right" attitude from the front desk. Please know that these issues have been addressed and corrected.

I appreciate your kind comments about the young lady who gave you a tour. I believe the young lady was Julie. I will share your kind comments with her and I know she will be delighted to know she made a positive impression on you. Also, thank you for your nod to our new rooms.

It is always our desire to provide an amazing experience to all of our guests. I am terribly sorry that we fell short on this visit. We would love to have you back again. Please contact me at your convenience so we can make things right with you.

Tom Rollins

Travelers are raving about these Douglas hotels

Northridge, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Traveled to Douglas, Arizona, with the wife just to see the Tiffany Glass in this hotel. I can not report on the food, lodgings or service at the hotel as I didn't partake in any of them. They were in the process of renovating the hotel. Perhaps the next time I go to Douglas, I will stay here.
But, If I don't I will be going back to the Tiffany Glass! Definitely worth seeing!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bcreff
Shirley R, General Manager at Gadsden Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear creff,

I am so happy that you and your wife stopped in to see the lobby with our magnificent Tiffany windows. They are so spectacular! We just love having visitors come in to look at and enjoy the splendor of the lobby.

The next time you are in town, please think about staying with us. We have some beautiful new rooms, a great restaurant and lounge and we would be delighted to host you.

Making improvements to this wonderful historic hotel has been a joy and we are so excited to show our handy work and take the time to show visitors around this grand hotel, whether they are guests or not.

We look forward to welcoming you back. Please let me know if I may be of personal assistance to you in any way.

Surprise, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed here the night of 1-21-14, during what was otherwise a short camping trip. I wanted a room from which I could leave early in order to be at Whitewater Draw for the sandhill cranes at the crack of dawn. Given this goal, I chose to experience the historical delights of the Gadsden in nearby Douglas.
Summarizing my stay: I arrived somewhat before check-in time, had no difficulties getting in then. I received a room on the third floor, reached (with luggage on a rolling cart) via antique, operator-controlled elevator. One must ring for service to use the elevator; so no self-operation. My room, with queen bed, was serviceable, provided what I required. I ate dinner in the in-house restaurant, the Conquistador, where (being very hungry) I enjoyed the special of double green chile cheeseburger with seasoned fries. I went to bed early, checked out round about 4:30, attended by the night clerk, and was on my way to the cranes.
I'm not surprised that the rankings for this place are all over the map. It's got big pluses, big minuses, and which are emphasized determine the final result. I'm glad I stayed at the Gadsden. I marveled at the old-fashioned splendor of the lobby, truly a magnificent sight, and all the elements that hark back to an earlier time. They don't make them like the Gadsden any more. All service was pleasant and efficient. The food was entirely satisfying; next time I'm down that way I'd like to eat there again, try something else from their full menu.
On the other hand, it's an old place, and boy does it show. A lower floor is gutted for renovation, with many workmen busy with machinery. To be sure, the noise did not carry to my room. Ah, that room: adequate, satisfactory with notable weaknesses. I took a hot bath-- no harm-- because the shower only dispensed cold water. The sink didn't put out cold, so I brushed my teeth with hot water. I spotted a tiny cockroach in the bathroom. There are some spots on the walls, and an unsealed gap around the air conditioner in the window. Fortunately nothing flew in to pester me. The bed sagged a bit, although I slept like a log in it, without back discomfort. I didn't try the wireless Internet, so can't testify to its utility.
Two nights later, feeling the untimely onset of flu, I cut short my camping and spent the night in the Motel 6 in Sierra Vista. That was a superior room in many respects... but I much more enjoyed my night at the Hotel Gadsden. I'll keep it in mind when circumstances are similar. The ongoing renovations are bound to make a big difference. I hope the price (very reasonable) doesn't shoot up!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear Vorchek,

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review of your recent stay. I am so glad that overall you had a good stay with us and that you found the service pleasant and efficient. That is very important to us to deliver that type of service.

I am glad that you enjoyed our double green chile cheeseburgers. They are very tasty to be sure! Yes, please do come back and try one of our many other delectable menu selections and I trust you will find them prepared nicely as well.

I apologize for the problems you encountered with your room. As you noted, we are in the process of redoing the rooms so we can provide our visitors an updated and modern room while retaining the hotels' original charm.

I agree that they 'don't make them like they used to." The Gadsden is unique and charming and well worth a visit. Renovating this wonderful old hotel has really been a labor of love for all of us involved. We look forward to continually upgrading and making improvements on this grand hotel. I promise- she will only get better.

Please come back and see us the next time you are in Douglas. We would love to welcome you back and show you first hand our upgrades.

Again, thank you for your candid and thoughtful review.

Tom Rollins
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
Copper Queen Hotel
BEST WESTERN Douglas Inn & Suites
Motel 6 Douglas
Motel 6 Douglas
#5 of 5 in Douglas

Been to Gadsden Hotel? Share your experiences!