“Spend the night in Jacuazzi Suite!”
Review of Gadsden Hotel

Gadsden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Douglas
Benson, AZ
“Spend the night in Jacuazzi Suite!”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We won a free night in the Jacuazzi Suite at the Gadsden Hotel. [Actually I stuff the box with our tickets because I knew how good the prize was!]

The room was very spacious and nicely done. The Jacuazzi was very comfortable for 2 people - we used it alot. The airconditioning and the bed wasn't the best but worked well.

The splendor of the hotel is awesome. The lobby is straight from the 1920's with lots of wood, marble, and stained glass. The elevator requires an operator - how many of these do you see?

We ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good.

Staff was very friendily, particurly the desk clerk/elevator operator.

Come here and enjoy this hotel. For fun in the area, go to Slaughter Ranch. You will see a ranch from the 1920's and drive there is beautiful.

Room Tip: Get a room on the north side. Don't do Jacuzzi room in the summer - the one a/c unit in the room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DavidBryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 12, 2012

It cant't be easy running a hotel like this in a fairly small town that isn't itself a tourist destination or even on a big tourist route. Other reviewers' comments about "clutter" and stained fixtures certainly have a foundation. But the place was pretty much what I expected and was hoping for. I've stayed in hotels of this age before and, except when they've been completely redone and rooms combined, these are the size rooms you find. I'm sure not everyone likes the old mom & pop motels that I relish and the same is true of century old decidedly not mom & pop hotels with Tiffany skylights. I do need to mention one negative, however. I stayed here when temperatures were well over 100 degrees and the central HVAC just wasn't up to the task. Of course this isn't the only place where I experienced that.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Denny G
Pearce, Arizona
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My Wife and I were married in the lobby over the weekend and everything was great! The hotel staff was super friendly and helpfully and made our day even more amazing then we dreamed! Huge thanks to Robin and the entire staff! We ordered our reception food from the onsite restaurant and we very pleased with the quality & quantity for our money!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julio L
Bisbee, Arizona
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I recently ate breakfast at the Gadsden Hotel. I entered through the “family entrance” and took a refreshing step back in time. The breakfast counter and stools are on one side of the cafe, and high leather booths line the opposite wall. Large windows look out on G Avenue and the interior is quiet and spacious. My prompt and courteous waitress recommended the “Trail Mix,” eggs scrambled with cheese, beans, chorizo ($1.50 extra), and corn tortilla, served with creamy-textured refried beans and a flour tortilla. The menu is simple, with traditional egg breakfasts and a few Mexican specialties. The coffee was hot, fresh and not too strong, and I got a glass of water with no ice, as requested.

After breakfast, I sat in one of the leather club chairs in the Gadsden hotel lobby. Built in 1907, the huge Tiffany stained glass window, depicting a desert scene, is framed by a grand staircase leading from the ground floor lobby up to the rooms surrounding an open area. Patrons come and go between the shops and offices on the ground floor, but the size and layout of the lobby contribute to a sense of serenity.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Sandra C
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed May 22, 2012

we visited the hotel in Feb. of 2012....worst place we've ever been. lobby is amazing...then you go into your room...no heat, no hot water, rust on the tub and sink...both rooms we had (one on 2nd floor, one on 3rd floor) looked like they were decorated from the depression era...LITERALLY!!! old, old, old...not worth the $$ !!!

the pictures on the website are FALSE!!!

trust me...drive a mile down the road and stay @ the Holiday Inn !!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank wrestlermomof3

Travelers are raving about these Douglas hotels

Reviewed May 16, 2012

The Gadsden Hotel has a lot of interesting history behind it and does have beautiful aspects to it's lobby that people speak of. The marble floors, tiled artwork, and Tiffany windows are definitely beautiful; however, those things and the history behind the place are the ONLY beautiful things to speak of.

This hotel needs a good spring cleaning, clutter clean up, and some simple and inexpensive work done to it.

The rooms vary depending on how much bed space you need. My family took up 7 different rooms, some had two beds and some had one bed rooms. Every two bed room we had were cluttered with dirty, old, broken down furniture from the late 80's.  Every room was extremely dusty, blinds broken, and was decorated so "hodge podge" that it was hardly cute, quaint, or charming. The rooms looked more like a living room you would see on the show COPS.

The bathrooms are small as to be expected based on the age of the place, but are in need of some major resurfacing as the tubs and sinks are all rusting and chipping.

The restaurant was great for breakfast. The food was average and the service was professional.

We had made reservations ahead for dinner since we had such a large group. Luckily our waitress from dinner was funny, and exceptionally nice. Something had to make up for the food and thrown together service. The food was what you would expect from a hospital stay and the service was about as good as two ten year olds playing restaurant.

The so called bartender was pleasant yet had no clue what wines he had and had to "clean up the wine glasses because they were really dusty." Yes, he really said that out loud. After dinner some went to the bar for drinks and again he had no clue he carried a certain alcohol that was asked for. It was in his bar and had to be pointed out to him. A Vodka Collins was requested also, which you guessed it, he had no clue what that was.

The most frustrating part about the entire stay was seeing how much potential this hotel has to be so great.

My family and I had a lot of laughs about the place and it created unforgettable and fond memories for us.

I suggest making a visit to the Gadsden for sure, but don't stay here. You'll get more charm and comfort at the Copper Queen in Bisbee, just a short drive north.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Arismommy
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I had read about the lobby but it still took my breath away. The center columns are gilded in gold and the Tiffany window, when backlit by the sun, is truly spectacular. I was advised to get a room on the mezzanine floor, which I did. It was a good room, but expect the basics with some character. I met the owner over breakfast, which is very good by the way. Check out all the murals in the restaurant also. There are ghosts and there are filled in tunnels under the lobby to Mexico. You can get a tour if you ask. Fun place to stay.

Room Tip: Stay on the mezzanine - rooms facing north have a great sunset view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank elleg53
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
Copper Queen Hotel
Motel 6 Douglas
Motel 6 Douglas
#5 of 5 in Douglas
The Gardens At Mile High Ranch

Been to Gadsden Hotel? Share your experiences!