“Outstanding Service and Great History!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crown King
Bradshaw Mountain Bed and Breakfast
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Outstanding Service and Great History!”
Reviewed November 7, 2011

A friend of mine booked three of us at the Bradshaw Mountain Guest Ranch for a trip this past weekend to see historical Crown King. I was slightly concerned because of a couple of the previous reviews but realized only having four so far was hardly a good way to judge a property. Still, we steeled ourselves for whatever was to come.

I had only been through Crown King once before, but we wanted to explore some of the amazing history of this too-often-overlooked corner of our state. On arrival, we rang the bell to call the proprietor who greeted us very cheerfully and directed us to the small cabin just across the (usually dry) creek bed. She walked over while we parked our car in front of the cabin, and she showed us around, letting us know how everything worked and making sure we had everything we needed. She suggested the saloon and The Old Mill restaurant (which I cannot find reviews for here?) and directed us to some of the literature in the cabin about Crown King. She also told us a couple of stories about some of the buildings, and then left us to unpack.

A word about the cabin: It was really quaint, the kitchen is older but everything does work and works well (including the very cool, very old refrigerator!) There are windows all around for views of the pines and surrounding area and to let in light. There is a fireplace in the cabin, which is both gas (fake logs) and the heating system (on the thermostat). That can surprise you if you forget about it while you're having dinner!

The claw-foot tub in the bathroom does not hold water (as a small sign informs you) but is only for showering. The water is hot! The windows all close well, but the back bedroom's door lets a little air in. Despite this, the bedroom stays warm. Both of the stores, the saloon (okay, the bar) and the restaurant are within easy walking distance (five minutes if you walk slowly).

One thing we were told was a breakfast basket would be put outside of our door. I don't know if that's what is done with the suites. On day one, we had fresh bananas, grapes, we each got a bagel with cream cheese packets and a butter pat (on the side), and yogurts. Everything fresh. On day two, we had hard cooked eggs, some banana bread, more fruit ... I forget all what was in it but it was just terrific.

The town is generally really quiet, but I had a little trouble sleeping because of folks leaving the bar on Saturday night being a little loud (just one small group, honestly). We had a heck of a storm Friday night, which resulted in a lovely blanket of snow on Saturday morning - always a treat for us desert dwellers! Our host couldn't have been nicer, more accommodating or more polite.

Crown King is definitely out-of-the-way but so are so many of the best historical sites in Arizona. The dirt road from I-17 is maintained right up to town, it used to be the rail bed and has switchbacks on the slope up the mountain which afford some pretty amazing views! The total time from where I live for the three of us was just about two hours, and well worth it. When - not if! - I go back to Crown King, I will absolutely be staying at Bradshaw Mountain Guest Ranch!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank TravelingCook

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed at the Ranch cabin and it was so much fun! Taryn the manager was very helpful and friendly. Her dog JuJu greeted us when we drove in and I cannot say ENOUGH GOOD things about the breakfast basket she provided every morning. Fresh fruit, bagels, or home baked banana bread it was enough food to feed a small army and there were only three of us! I would DEFINITELY come back here with my family and friends again. Charming place to stay!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank KGodinez
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed February 8, 2011

I am a veteran of the Crown King Chili Cook-Off, having gone there for 10 years running. I stayed at the Bradshaw Mountain Guest Ranch for 7 of those years so I feel qualified to give an educated, long term opinion about my experience.

The cabins and suites are clean, fairly well kept and cool in a 1950’s/60’s kitschy sort of way. The Bradshaw Mountain Guest Ranch specializes in quiet and quiet is what you get. The price for that quiet, however, is the feeling of being survielled. And make no mistake you are being watched. Ownership seems to have a strange idea of the customer/innkeeper relationship. During and after check in, even after several years as a regular customer, I was bombarded with reminders from watching water use (the one time I stayed in a suite she actually knew how many times I had flushed the toilet, running water has been an issue) to reminding me where the rules were posted “just in case I wanted to review them”. I was interrogated/accused on several occasions regarding things I hadn’t done (unauthorized fires and guests are a couple notable instances). If you have an issue or question it makes sense to just ask but that’s not the way it works there. I would describe the demeanor displayed by ownership toward the customer as very aggressive. Itsrox’s observations regarding the attitude of the staff are dead on the money in my experience.

Further taking away from the experience is the ever present view of construction equipment, materials and refuse. Nothing adds to the experience of getting away like the close-up view of a backhoe and piles of junk. You would think it would make sense to put this stuff out of guest view but apparently not.

The Guest Ranch is not a bad place overall, the deciding factor being the cruddy attitude of ownership toward the guests, the bread and butter of any hospitality business. For those hell-bent to come to Crown King there are several good options to renting at the Bradshaw Mountain Guest Ranch: Cedar Roost and Bear Creek Cabins; Hazlett Hollow and Turnkey Gulch campgrounds come to mind as well. Additionally, there are people more than willing to rent their private cabins for as long as you would want them. With these options why suffer rudeness or hostility?

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
17 Thank kochmansc
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 12, 2010

Our trip to Crown King was an experience we will never forget. It was our first visit to Crown King and we were not sure what to expect. It was a pleasant surprise. A friend had recommended we stay at the Bradshaw Mountain Guest Ranch and we did. Boy, was it a treat. The suite we stayed in was very clean, cute and comfortable. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lexielu1234
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I have stayed at the BMGR numerous times and have nothing but EXCELLENT things to say. Every cabin or suite that we chose was CLEAN, COMFORTABLE, & QUIET!! Hospitality was excellent and YES there IS running water. The continental breakfast was FRESH & WHOLESOME. How do they get that fresh of fruit on that mountain?! Can't wait to return, looking forward to a WARM cabin in the winter time. HIGHLY recommend visiting the Bradshaw Mountain Guest Ranch.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank naturelover1122
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 16, 2010

How about... no running water and the "so called" continental breakfast that was given to us...

1). Yogurt was outdated / spoiled

2). Watermelon was mushy / old

3). Plums were dried out on the inside

4). Cream cheese was put in the freezer which made it taste disgusting.

Cabin wasnt that bad, the town is great. Nice cold soda and beer at the saloon.

Advised Taryn [-] of the issues, also advised her I had to go out and purchase breakfast, she was no help. Sent her email, you should see her reply... she needs medication or she had not taken it. Lots of lies coming from her..

There are other places to stay people... dont go there because they are NOT a bed and breakfast and they will LIE THROUGH THEIR TEETH about who you are.

11 Thank itsrox

Been to Bradshaw Mountain Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!