“THE WORST HOTEL MANAGER!”

Best Western Cottonwood Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Cottonwood
Santa Clarita, California
“THE WORST HOTEL MANAGER!”
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I was there for my Father's funeral and had to shorten my stay by 1 night, due to my Wife's heart condition. The Front Desk told me to contact Expedia for a refund, which I did after returning home to Calif. Expedia said that they would be happy to refund 1 night, providing the hotel would. After explaining the circumstances, the hotel manager refused and was rude, condescending and hung up on my Wife. She further stated that if we would have booked our reservation directly with them, she would have refunded the 1 night. This woman should not be in Management and has no customer service or empathy for family emergencies!

Room Tip: Don't bother with this place!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
7 Thank RUBY999
ccarrillo, General Manager at Best Western Cottonwood Inn, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
I'm sorry that you took my response to your request as rudeness. When the representative from Expedia called me regarding reversing the night that you wanted refunded, she explained nothing to me about your reason for an early check out. Your wife did call later that morning to ask why I was not willing to reverse the charge. As I tried to explain to her, the policy for early check outs differ for guests who book through a third party versus guests that book directly with the hotel. I hung up after saying goodbye ONLY after your wife called me a heartless *****. I don't feel that anyone has the right to call me names just because they are upset, regardless of who they are. I handled the call with courtesy and respect and am sorry you feel I did not. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Korean first
Lansing, MI
Reviewed April 14, 2011

My family booked this hotel for two nights during our 8 night stay in Arizona. After reading reviews on this hotel, we knew it was a basic Best Western hotel - but alway knew we were saving money versus staying directly in Sedona. We have an 8 yr old daughter so we always book a place that has a pool. This one did and the price was right.
When we arrived at the hotel it was not busy and we received our room right away. We took our bags into the room - and it wasn't anything special but would serve our needs of sleeping & showering.
Our daughter always wants to check out the pool - so we did! And it was a HUGE disappointment. There was a tremendous amount of debris in the pool and the hot tub (it was windy so some debris IS expected) - but the water itself was somewhat green and it appeared that some of the debri had been in the water for a few days and was decaying. YIKES - so it wasn't that it was just full of tree debris -- but it seemed/looked unsanitary. Which means no SWIMMING.
We were physically tired from a long day already spent at OUT OF AFRICA and we were hungry. So I just went to the front desk to report the pool and hot tub situation - and asked if we could just stay the one night, instead of our intended two nights. The hotel front desk staff didn't really seem to care that the pool was not swimmable - and quickly changed our reservation from 2 nights to 1 night. She was not rude - but she definitely did nothing to indicate an apology nor to validate my comment/concern about the pool/hot tub area.

I have already completed the hotel electronic survey and the manager has responded directly to me about the pool/hot tub area. The manager indicated that they were dirty due to the windy day.

If you don't care about the pool/hot tub. And you are okay with the 15 minute drive into Sedona than this is an acceptable inexpensive hotel option for you.

The breakfast is routine for a free breakfast in this price range.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SSan914
ccarrillo, General Manager at Best Western Cottonwood Inn, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I'm sorry you found the pool and hot tub to be unsatisfactory. We have very strict policies and laws that we adhere to and I can assure you that the pool was not "unsafe" or "unsanitary". The windy days we have been experiencing have been reaking havic on our grounds, including the pool/hot tub. The maintenance department is very diligent about cleaning the pool at least daily, but more often if necessary. Debris "decaying" in the pool for "days" is just not possible and apologize if it appeared that way. Our hotel is ranked among the highest in Customer Service. The front desk agent did not intend to seem "uncaring" and reported your issue to maintenance immediately. Please know that I have already addressed your issues with the entire staff and have taken steps to make sure this does not happen again. Thank you again for your review and I hope you will give us another chance to serve you in the future.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We stayed at the Best Western Cottonwood Inn over the holidays and I must say the staff was wonderful, friendly and helpful. Especially, Kim. Kim runs the Breakfast area and cleans rooms. She was so helpful and informative about the area and things to do she really should be a concierge! Thank you Kim, and everyone else, for making our trip so enjoyable. Our Patio room was clean, comfortable, and spacious. We will definitely plan on staying at the Cottonwood Inn again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
ccarrillo, General Manager at Best Western Cottonwood Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Thank you for the wonderful review. I and the entire staff are extremely pleased you had a wonderful stay. Kim joined our staff last year and I hear nothing but wonderful comments about her! Her knowledge of the local area is definitely an asset to the hotel as well as our guests. We look forward to your next visit to the area and hope you stay with us again!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We had an enjoyable stay at this Best Western in Cottonwood. We stayed in the Casita rooms which seem newer, with more privacy and set more to the back of the property. Our room was spacious and had a microwave and refridge, nice bar area, separate area for drying hair from the bathroom which is nice to get ready quicker. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful and suggested a restaurant after we arrived later in the evening that turned out to be a good suggestion. The lady working the breakfast was helpful, friendly and greeted each guest. The breakfast was pretty good - we had no complaints. Being 15 mins away from Sedona it is much more affordable option than staying in Sedona. AAA discounts.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
ccarrillo, General Manager at Best Western Cottonwood Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2010
I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed our Deluxe Casita's. They are a very popular room because of the things you described. We strive very hard to provide a clean, comfortable, and affordable place to stay while visiting the area as well as excellent customer service in all areas of the hotel. Thank you for the wonderful review and hope you will visit us again on your next visit! Christine Carrillo, General Manager
Los Angeles, Ca.
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We enjoyed the visit to the fullest, safe area, rooms are clean and spacious, friendly and helpful staff, large breakfast selection, lots of choices for food around the hotel, We would absolutely stay here again, what else can we ask for??

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank ViajeraLA
ccarrillo, General Manager at Best Western Cottonwood Inn, responded to this review, September 21, 2010
Thank you so much for the wonderful review of the hotel! We value every guests opinion and it makes it really gradifying when a guest recongnizes what we strive to do everyday; to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay while away from home. Thank you!
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed July 15, 2010

The service of the staff was exceptional. Friendly understanding and good staff made the trip something that i can't wait to go back. was going for one night and the hospitality recieved caused me to enjoy and stay an additional night. Even the cleaning staff ha d a smile always and greeted us at each encounter. The food nearby by was excellent and didn't need to go looking and their staff was likewise exceptional. The whole trip was one of those that i don't want to forget and yet go back just to visit thanks to the great stay at your hotel

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank raton123
ccarrillo, General Manager at Best Western Cottonwood Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2010
Thank you so much for the wonderful review of the hotel! We strive very hard to make sure every guest has an enjoyable visit. We look forward to giving you the same excellent service on your next visit!
Carson City, Nevada
Reviewed May 28, 2010

First for the good: spa pool is hot, breakfast was good and didn't run out, ..bed is marginally comfortable and room doesn't reek of cleaners, there seems to be plenty of hot water, and the desk staff is very friendly.
The rest: pool towels are barely bigger than hand towels, no microwaves in most rooms, the staff doesn't keep enough chemicals on hand to allow them to open the pools at the stated hours (today it will be two hours late opening, which means we will be gone for the day by the time it opens,) tiny no=see=um bugs in room, and there is only one place to put a suitcase--had to put mine on top of the refrigerator. Then there is my pet peeve: Lipton tea is the only one available.
Tips: If you come here the rates are not bad for a tourist area, but bring your own light bulbs if you want to read or see. I found that the 'package deal' to ride the train and stay was more expensive than booking independently. I said I wouldn't recommend this hotel but I wouldn't say it was horrible just not up to the standards I felt it should be.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NevadaLynn
ccarrillo, General Manager at Best Western Cottonwood Inn, responded to this review, June 23, 2010
I am very dissappointed that you don't find our hotel up to Best Western Standards. We strive very hard to exceed the standards of Best Western International.

It is for our guests safety that if our pool and/or spa are not in balance per AZ Health Departments codes, then we must close them temporarily. It was not because of the lack of chemicals but because of those standards that the opening of the spa had to be delayed one hour. I am very sorry for any inconvenience this caused you.

I was happy to see that not all of your visit was negative and I hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cottonwood
Pines Motel
#7 of 7 in Cottonwood
Verde Valley Inn
Verde Valley Inn
#4 of 7 in Cottonwood

Been to Best Western Cottonwood Inn? Share your experiences!