“Nice place for lunch”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stopped here for lunch on the way to the Verde Canyon Railroad. They sell food there and there is food on board, but having a relaxing lunch in the charming town is definitely the way to go. We were referred to this place by another store owner in town. The place is nice and the food was very good. The drinks are NOT a good deal. Way too much ice and you can barely taste any liquor. Save your money and just get water. I ordered the filet cob salad. I am from the East coast and am not used to having my cobb salad all mixed up together. I really prefer to mix it myself and add the dressing as I want. That being said, it was very good and quite large. One big ball of avocado on the side was kind of weird. My husband ordered a bacon cheese burger and emphasized that he did not want mayo on it. The waitress was quite snippy about it and said "I HEARD you" so when it came with mayo on it she just stomped off to the kitchen with it muttering. Other than that we did enjoy our food. The quality of the ingredients were top notch and the plates looked nice and were cooked well. I think we will try a different place next time just because of the service.

HauntedGroup, Owner at Tavern Grille, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to review us. We apologize that you did not find the value in our drinks, and we are disappointed to hear that the service was not up to your expectations. We have looked into the situation because we do take the feedback seriously. We hope you give us another try if you ever are in the Verde Valley again.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Went to Tavern Grill to meet some local friends while we were visiting Cottonwood/Jerome. Loved the place - nice décor, good vibe. As noted in other recently posted review, the happy hour is great - we too were there the same Sunday as the other poster. However, our experience with the bartender was a little different. I think her name was Mariah - and she was the only bartender working a very busy evening, handling drink orders for the bar and the restaurant, while also getting happy hour food orders for folks seated at the bar. She worked her tail off, and from our vantage, did it with a smile and cheery disposition the whole time. She probably could have used some help, but she managed to keep up with a very busy service. At one point I ordered a craft beer on draft and in the middle of her pour, the keg died. She gave me the half full pint on the house, apologized for the keg running empty. Within minutes, a new keg was hooked up, she poured another pint for me on the house.
Happy hour apps, at $5 per order, were huge, well prepared, and satisfying.
If I had any complaint at all, I was seated near the front door and it felt like the air conditioning was blowing directly on me, which got a little chilly after a while. Nobody at fault there, it's just the location where I sat. I would have moved to another position at the bar - but the place was crowded the entire time we were there.
Mariah was great, the Tavern was great. Look forward to visiting again when I'm in the area!

Thank you for taking time to review us. Our bartenders are very hard workers and we appreciate your patience since it seemed like we were busy the day you came in. We hope to see you again in the future for Happy Hour!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Happy Hour on Sunday??? That never happens. And don't be fooled. These aren't smaller HH portions. The spring rolls and lettuce wraps were delicious and filling. The only reason I didn't give 5 out 5 was because of the bartender. Granted, she was the ONLY bartender mixing drinks for the entire restaurant. But, the couple next to me and I had to flag her down for refills and our checks. And she did so with a frown on her face. I would not sit at the bar again. And, with so many other choices, I might go somewhere else before heading back to the Tavern Grille.

HauntedGroup, Owner at Tavern Grille, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Everyday should be a day to gather and enjoy some awesome deals! We are happy you enjoyed happy hour but not so happy about the service you received. The situation is being taken care of and we apologize that you did not receive the service that would bring you back no questions asked. We hope you give us the chance to exceed all of your expectations.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I like this restaurant very much, food was great, service great and I was well catered because I was eating alone. Great atmosphere and the Ol Town was is wonderful.

We are so happy that you enjoyed your experience. Your feedback is very important to us and we hope that you stop in again soon!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Food is always great. Good variety and reasonable prices. Service can be a little hit and miss but this is one of the few places we will take friends from out of town.

Thank you for taking the time to review our establishment, we are happy that you consistently enjoy your food but we are a little concerned about your inconsistent service. Your feedback is very important to us. See you and your friends soon!