“Welcoming and great food.”
Review of Tavern Grille

Tavern Grille
Ranked #5 of 110 Restaurants in Cottonwood
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Four couples enjoyed lunch before some wine tasting in Old Town Cottonwood. The service was great. Our server introduced herself, shook hands with everybody and provided some wonderful service.

We enjoyed The Prime Rib Sliders. They were tender, flavorful and just yummy. Our extra side of fries were crispy and salty. More yummy!

The restaurant is crowded and noisy, but I like that upbeat atmosphere at lunch.

HauntedGroup, Owner at Tavern Grille, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

We are happy to hear you had a great experience and were treated well by our staff! Thank you for stopping in during your day of wine tasting! We hope to see you next time!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We had stopped by a Big 5 store before we came here. An employee by the name of Gina highly recommended this place. We were seated immediately. Our waitress was very courteous and in a great mood. We saw our guide from Out of Africa eating dinner. She said hi to us. We bought her dinner for doing such a great job earlier. I ordered the Coconut Shrimp dinner and Cynthia ordered the Chili Mac and Cheese. Both dinners were scrumptous. If you order tea I recommend the Peach tea. It was really good. We had a nice romantic dinner. To end the evening we had the creme brulee for desert. That was so good.

HauntedGroup, Owner at Tavern Grille, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

We are so happy you enjoyed your experience. That was very sweet of you all to purchase your guide's dinner! Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we will see you on your next visit!

Reviewed January 31, 2014

My family and I stumbled across this in the downtown area, their menu reminded us of our favorite restaurant back home. Figured, what the heck! We were a party of six with no reservation, and were greeted with warm smiles and a welcoming hello. They told us there would be a little bit of a wait, which was less than 5 minutes. Whoa! :) We were seated in a comfortable little corner behind the see through kitchen glass. Our waiter was extremely polite, and very personable. After walking past the bar I knew I had to try a house special, the Michelata (see attached photo). I was more than happy with my choice. For dinner I had their salmon topped with an artichoke sauce/mix, with cheddar mashed potatoes, which was more than delicious. I was kind of hoping it came with some sort of vegetable, but I don't think I would have had enough room after my Skinny Girl margarita I ordered as well (I prefer to drink my dinner, haha). Overall, I was very very very happy and thoroughly enjoyed my experience here. I don't come to Cottonwood often, but I may have to start! Thanks Tavern Staff for an unforgettable time!

We really enjoyed reading your review, thank you so much for the feedback. We are a fan of drinking our dinner as well and are so happy you enjoyed your beverages! Can't wait to see you all on your next visit!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Just past noon, a sign on Arizona Highway 89A beckoned us to Cottonwood (population 11,279), which seemed Olde West enough to see. We parked along Main Street’s two or three-block commercial strip. We noticed a couple on horseback tying up near the Tavern Grille, the busiest place around. The tables on the front patio were taken, so we settled for the last one on a patio on the side.

An eager young waitress promptly appeared with menus, utensils, water and a jar of delicate bread sticks no thicker than bootlaces. Much of the Tavern Grille’s food is mainstream American: a wedge of iceberg lettuce with blue cheese dressing, French onion soup, prime rib, Caesar salad, tacos, chicken tenders, Buffalo wings. But for eastern city slickers like my companion Yvonne and me, the menu opened a window upon Western culture, or maybe just Cottonwood’s.

It featured the cook’s own take on southern fried dill pickles--lightly breaded, deep fried with a dill ranch dressing for $6.95. We declined the pickles. I ordered the $14.99 Stuffed Meatloaf, which comes “stuffed with ham and Havarti cheese, topped with a marsala gravy and served with cheddar redskin mashed potatoes.” It was a massive pile of stuff soaking in gray goo, and I liked it. Yvonne settled for the plate of three $7.99 Tavern Sliders—hamburgers with grilled onions, cheddar cheese and chipotle mayonnaise. She said they were good.

To its credit, Tavern Grille tolerates idiosyncratic and frugal diners. As we ate, we saw a white-bearded old timer take a table near ours and use it for a desk to make cell phone calls and spread out his papers. In time, he ordered a green salad, which he then layered with slices of avocado that he had brought in a baggie.

We suspect that life inside the tavern is quite unlike the relaxed aspect of the patios. With 14 television screens, it becomes a sports bar many nights. At any time, however, this seems a fun place. For its liveliness, originality, good service, good prices and acceptable cooking, the Tavern Grille is a four-star stop.

Wow thank you for taking the time to write such a great and detailed review. We are very happy you enjoyed your experience. Hope to see you all next time!

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Went there on a busy Saturday night. It was full, but only took a couple of minutes to get a table. If you are looking for a quiet dining experience, this is probably not the place for you. This is a sports bar and evidently a popular local spot. TVs line the walls. They have a varied menu, including weekly specials. We each tried one of the specials and they were both very good. Wait staff were friendly and helpful. There is a cheerful, warm atmosphere. We enjoyed our meal and would eat there again when in this area.

Thank you for stopping in! We are very happy that you enjoyed your experience and will see you on your next visit!