“Marvelous!... Marvelous!... Marvelous!”

Nic's Italian Steak & Crab House
Ranked #5 of 103 Restaurants in Cottonwood
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Cave Creek, Arizona
“Marvelous!... Marvelous!... Marvelous!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I initially found the restaurant on Trip Advisor, and decided that we would go there for a nice dinner.... Boy, were we PLEASED!

* GREAT Décor... Dark, Classic/old-school "Supper-club" feel

* GREAT Service!... Smiling/knowledgeable waitress + the Manager checked in with us... and the bus boys?? Well, they checked our table numerous times thru out the evening! Nice job!

* GREAT Menu/Specials!... We went on a Monday and enjoyed the $3.50 BELVIDERE MARTINIS! Small (standard) pour, but a great martini offering, and they used a higher end vodka!...YUMMM! The menu had a wide range, and I had to try the rack of ribs, while my wife had the Lasagna... BOTH WERE DELLICIOUS! ... The best part? Only $65 for 4 martinis, appetizer, Lasagna, Ribs!

WE WOULD DEFINATELY GO BACK THERE AGAIN WHEN VISITING COTTONWOOD... We live in Carefree, AZ. and occasionally go to Sedona, Jerome, Cottonwood, so NIC'S ITALIAN IS WORTH THE DRIVE FROM ANY OF THESE PLACES!

"Fagetabout" the rest... GO TO NIC'S!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank azhotdogdaddy
HauntedGroup, Owner at Nic's Italian Steak & Crab House, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Wow! We are ecstatic that your experience with us was so terrific! We have shared your comments with our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Hampton, Virginia
“Last night in Cottonwood???”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Sandy and I came here on, if my memory serves me correctly, our last night in Cottonwood. We both like Italian aht Nic's filled the bill. Good food, nice service, and even a visit by the owner. If we return, I'm sure we will come back.

• Visited June 2013
HauntedGroup, Owner at Nic's Italian Steak & Crab House, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for your feedback! We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal at Nic's! We hope you dine with us again soon!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sorry I waited so long!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have been to Nic's quite a few times for their excellent Monday night martini special (and amazing Crabby Mac n Cheese), but I've never made the time to check out the rest of the menu. I made a point to try it out for a special occasion last night, and I'm sorry I waited so long! The sangriatini (always delicious) and the above mentioned Crabby Mac were nothing compared to the fabulous beef roulade (the sauce was heavenly!). The whole meal was fantastic, as was Ashley, our server. So glad I made a point to stay for dinner- I have the feeling it'll become a regular tradition. :-)

1 Thank TrebleWhite
HauntedGroup, Owner at Nic's Italian Steak & Crab House, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thanks for your feedback! We're glad that you decided to try something new on our menu. We look forward to seeing you back again soon!
Tucson, Arizona
“A very good experience”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

On the recommendation of our B&B hostess, we went to Nic's. Located in Old Town Cottonwood, parking was easy on a shady street nearby. We showed up at around 6pm on a Friday night, and were seated right away. The ambiance is unpretentious, a bit on the dark side, with booths and tables, and a bar. Although they were busy, service was fairly prompt and uniformly friendly and sincere. The manager came around mid-way through and asked how our waiter was treating us (very well), and how we were enjoying the meal. He was clearly aware of the TripAdvisor and Yelp sites when I mentioned we had looked up the restaurant's reviews before visiting.
There were three of us at dinner. I had a Pomegranate Margarita Martini, on the suggestion of one of the reviews I read, and it was delicious! Smooth and tasty and subtle but strong! It came with a little mini-cocktail shaker, so really you get the equivalent of about 1.5 martinis, and the fun of the shaker :)
Two of us shared a shrimp cocktail, which had a very tasty tomato-based/horseradish-type sauce. Very yummy, with a nice strong amount of horseradish!
For our main course I had the Orange Roughy Marsala. It was not especially flavorful, and the texture of the fish was a bit soft, instead of firm as I would expect (perhaps incorrectly) orange roughy to be. Neither my husband nor myself detected any Marsala flavor. I had it with a croquette (fried garlic "mashed" potatoes). They were not very good -- a disappointment. My husband (a big potato lover) agreed they were not much of anything.
My son & I had the clam chowder, which was very tasty, but a bit heavy on the potatoes (which were cooked to a perfect firmness) and light on the clams My husband had the salad with Ranch dressing, which he very much enjoyed, and I thought my bites of it were delicious as well -- the ingredients were fresh and varied, and the dressing was very good.
My husband had the fish (cod) & chips. He enjoyed the fish a lot, but thought the chips (fries) were not great. I tried a few -- they were limp and unremarkable.
The manager did mention that the head chef was not cooking that evening, but rather the sous chef (?) who has been with them about 8 (?) years.
Our son (14yo) had the best meal: one lobster tail with a "side" of 1/2 lb of snow crab legs! This was quite a splurge for us, but we were on vacation and wanted him to have a memorable experience. He said this was the best meal he's ever had. He was in virtual ecstasies (unfeigned) over the deliciousness of both the lobster (which came with the shell, but was pulled out & ready to eat) and the crab legs. We all chipped in to help crack the crab legs & extract the meat, of which there was quite a healthy portion. He just loved his meal!
We finished off our enjoyable time with the crème brûlée three-ways, and a chocolate cake. The crème brûlée's crust was too thin for my liking, but each of the three types was very creamy and tasty. The three types were: vanilla, chocolate and Grand Marnier. Our son had the chocolate cake, and both he and my husband said it was about the best chocolate cake they had ever had. It was not overwhelmingly rich & almost gooey in its "chocolate-liness," but just unpretentiously delicious with a rich deep flavor (I'm guessing at least part of it was dark chocolate).
So that was that. We were soooo full afterwards, but had enjoyed ourselves tremendously and had a great and very memorable meal!

1 Thank saracrewe2
HauntedGroup, Owner at Nic's Italian Steak & Crab House, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear that your visit was a memorable one for you and your son. We hope you come back and visit us again to try some more of our seafood specials!
Limerick, Ireland
“An enjoyable meal”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This bustling restaurant serves good steaks and seafood. It's well priced and reservations are recommended.

1 Thank pinkydinkyireland
HauntedGroup, Owner at Nic's Italian Steak & Crab House, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thanks for your review! We're glad to hear you enjoyed our famous steaks and seafood. We come back again soon!