“Gifts at the Cottonwood: joy; an encounter; appreciation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cottonwood Hotel

Cottonwood Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Cottonwood B&B and Inns
Utah
“Gifts at the Cottonwood: joy; an encounter; appreciation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2009

Check into this quaint and incognito hotel and participate in the dynamic exchange of giving and receiving. The owner- Karen, the location- Main Street, the ambiance of the 1925 building all create a positive flow of energy. Ideas and good times circulate from this hotel- you will leave rested and changed.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Albuquerque
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

I recently had the privilige of spending 3 days and 2 nights in the Historic Cottonwood Hotel in the heart of old town Cottonwood, AZ. From my first conversation with Karen...to my check-out...she was a pleasure to deal with. This landmark hotel is a step back in time, wood floors, clawfoot tub, antique fixtures and furnishings. Memories of days gone by abound throughout the hotel. The rates were great, the accomidations were a breath of fresh air.....I almost forgot the breath taking view from the community balcony where you can enjoy the sites and sounds of historic downtown Cottonwood....

3 Thumbs Up!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Yelm, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

The Cottonwood Hotel has become my “home away from home” during my extended stays in Cottonwood. It’s perfect for me because I’m a single traveling business woman. The price is AMAZING considering its prime location in the Verde Valley. Nestled between beautiful Sedona and Jerome, it is centrally located and just a few steps from the local Athletic Club, within walking distance to the hospital, city and state parks, hiking trails, popular restaurants, bakeries, cafés, galleries, antique shops, in a diverse and eclectic western town. The hotel is small with a half dozen charming suites that are updated & clean and the furnished kitchen/kitchenette suit my needs for a cozy atmosphere while I’m traveling. For over a decade, Karen, the owner and her partner Gregory have kept this well kept secret alive which has been providing a valuable connection to us visitors and passer’s by. Karen’s knowledge of the history and the present day services of this town have helped me develop an intimate relationship with Cottonwood. The historic hotel is not your typical boring place to stay, as you get your own apartment suite instead of a stale, cheap motel room. I enjoy having the SECURE high speed internet, laundry facilities, assigned parking and ( my favorite thing) after a drink at the local tavern it's a short walk “home” where I sit on the common balcony overlooking Main Street and unwind, contemplate the day and enjoy the beautiful night sky. When I’m asked where I’m staying, I’m surprised that many locals aren’t even aware of this overlooked treasure that is right in their own back yard!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

Since the Phoenix Pointe Hilton at Squaw Peak was booked solid until Wednesday August 27, we asked the concierge there to recommend a hotel in Cottonwood for Monday and Tuesday. He suggested we contact the Cottonwood Hotel. We were very interested in that suggestion since we had stayed in that hotel during our first visit to Arizona back in 1979, and prefer historic, less populated areas of Arizona to those which have overgrown with tourism and industry.

To our delight, the Cottonwood Hotel sure has improved since 1979, but still maintains the small town feel and local charm that we find so appealing. In 1979, there was a single "swamp cooler" to combat the heat, and the other furnishings were bare minimum. This time we stayed in Unit 2, which had an air conditioner and celing fans that did a fine job of keeping the place cool. We were very impressed with the beautiful wooden furniture and harwood floors, and the unit was well-appointed overall. Though we watch very little TV, there were many channels to choose on the sattelite dish network. There were much more interesting shows, however, out the front picture window in the form of beautiful sunrises in the morning and exciting thunderstorms in the afternoon.

We spent a good deal of time on the second-story porch which overlooks Main Street, giving us an even more expanded view than our front picture window. Besides sunrises, sunsets, and storms, we could watch, and even say hello to, people passing by on the street below. From there, we planned our walking excursions around the town and surrounding areas, like Dead Horse Ranch State Park.

The hotel owner, Karen, and her partner Greg were kind and delightful people who also helped us plan hikes as well as points of interest that required a car ride. Karen even took us on a guided tour of nearby Jerome and Clarkdale before we left on Wednesday.

They also recommended places to eat, and as a result we had fabulous meals during our short stay. All the restaurants were within walking distance from the hotel.

I'm sure we will be staying at the Cottonwood Hotel the next time we are in Arizona.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2008

Historic towns have a way of taking you back when times were simple and people were friendly and down to earth. The Old Town Cottonwood Hotel fits that bill perfectly and is a favorite escape especially for my family and friends in Phoenix. No cookie cutter hotels for me they are a dime a dozen. The Cottonwood Hotel offers many modern ammenities with the historic charm intact making it so unique. Karen the owner is always a very gracious host and offers a wealth of knowledge not only on the area for sights, tours, hikes, events but also for making you feel very welcome. I have stayed at the best and all they want is your money, no more! This property offers incredible views including those from the balcony of the surrounding Verde Valley and Sedona Red Rock, absolutely beautiful. The proximity to Sedona/Jerome/Canyon Train as well as local art galleries/restaurants/shops make this place a rare find. The room was clean, comfortable, affordable and had all the efficiencies to make for a great stay. I am back in Phoenix looking forward to my next adventure in a historic town!

Stayed September 2008
Jerome,AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2006

Before you book in any Hotel/Apt Living, go there and look first. What was displayed on the interent site for Cottonwood Hotel, was a charming, old town area, full of bliss.

The Hotel is old, needs updating, and not at all attractive. As you can see by the many comments, the owner does not see what a customer see's, and a view aint one of them. A hotplate is not a stove as is stated in the internet site. A view is not one of a dumpter or rooftop. A charming neighborhood should not be privvy to constant police cars rounding up druggies or stiopping bar fights. Ask the Police if there is a drug problem in the area...oh yeah

The owner likes to belittle the guests, who exercise their freedom to warn others that this place is not what they say on the interenet...Look at the photos, call the police and ask them what they know about the area, and read the comments that two veterans have left, and the Ontario Couple, germans who were disgusted with the area in general.

Make sure you want to use you credit cards, as i was putting a $350 down payement on the room, and ended up getting charged 1200 bucks, before I even arrived, and my e-mails, and phone calls were never answered prior to my showing up. That I think is an issue.

Rather than berate those that take issue with the place, why not just improve it. I did, I bought flowers for the balcony and front door, helped to get thwe coolers running, and even chipped paint so that the front of the place could be painted, not to mention washing the windows. I left early, and slept on the floor of the place i leased, until my furniture arrived, just to be out of that place and the area.

Look before you leap folks...one the money is in the till, youre stuck there...I know of three clients that left 2-3 weeks early, forfieting thier balance and in two cases, part of thier security deposit...my advice, sleep in the car...lol Thank God and greyhound I'm gone...!

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — the area has so many failed businesses,empty store fronts
  • Tips/Secrets — Look in Verde Valley or at the other end of cottonwood, clarkdale, Jerome even
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank thegoodbyeguy
Fulton Mo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2006

Various advertising, Internet and brochures says, “quiet, clean, renovated, comfortable, quaint, upper rooms with view, ‘home away from home’- ‘more than a room with a view‘, etc.

We signed a lease to stay for 3 months, at the end of six weeks we looked for another place to spend the last month of our ‘dream vacation’, and moved at the end of our second month even though the lease we signed stated… no refunds for early check out, for any reason…

Quiet? A bar across the street plays live music several nights a week with the door open and all the street noise and patron disputes that come with this type of scene, was just out our front window.
Clean? See photos of common guest areas. The apartment was surprisingly clean appearing after the guest areas, on check out we learned that the ‘guest’ does major cleaning when vacating, examples of charges for not meeting criteria are, $11.00 to dust a window sill, $10.00 to change a light a bulb $15.00 to strip the bed and so forth. Renovated? Just some examples, there is no electrical outlet in bathroom, no working vent fan and bathroom door opens onto kitchen eating area. The dining table is so warped that you cannot set an item on ½ of the front with out it sliding off. Comfortable? The bed was soft and bowed in the middle, we put our own air mattress over it for sleeping, the bedroom was cold as the only wall heating panel was 2 rooms away. The last 5 days we were there were in the upper 80’s and 90’s and the water cooling unit was not turned on till the day before we moved from the hotel. Quaint? ‘upper rooms with views?’ It certainly was ‘M 0RE than a room with a view!’

17 Thank Curious2
historicapartments, owner at Cottonwood Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2006
Can’t please everyone. We are a small private business with 5 vacation rental apartments in a historic hotel building. We are not run like a typical hotel or motel, as we are more like an apartment complex. The self-catered apartments are fully furnished. We offer extended stays and short term.

Our short-term monthly agreements are no different than most apartment rental agreements. If an agreement is breached or broken, rent is still due for the term agreed upon.

Our property is quiet, as this is also our home and we won’t tolerate anything but. We can’t control outside street or bar traffic. The bar is across the street and not right outside the front window of this particular apartment. City employees, including our city mayor, patronize it.

Thanks for at least one positive statement that the apartment was surprisingly clean! The common areas in photos…I was threatened by this tenant that if they didn’t get a refund for early departure, they would use pictures to try and hurt my business. Close up shots of the roof and construction areas were used and nothing of the clean, nicely furnished apartment. Tenants were also leaving the common balcony door open during the weather elements bringing in dirt and rain that soiled the carpet in front of the door, shown in one of the photos. We put certain maintenance and painting projects on hold due to tenant’s sensitivities.

These tenants did not report to us that the fan in the bathroom was unplugged. And the complaint about the new mattress with the orthopedic hypoallergenic ripple mattress topper overlay…Since talking to this tenant, and listening to her sensitivities, and understanding that she had recently gone through hip surgery, was the reason why I put the topper on top the mattress. If she needed more instruction on its use, she did not ask. If she wanted it removed, she did not ask. This particular mattress topper has hundreds of rounded contours, which evenly spreads body pressure and allows you to sleep in comfort. It is fully adjustable from head to toe to help reduce hip, ankle, lower and back pain, support for legs or adjustable for neck and upper back pain. It relieves stress or strain on the spine and upper and/or lower body as you can customize your own support. So this review is what I get for being sympathetic to her sensitivities. It was still in the 70’s and not 80s or 90s when these tenants left. They were still running the heater at night and every time I asked, they did not want the pilot turned off, as I still asked a few days before their departure. Like I said, you can't please everyone.