“Small hotel in old town Cottonwood” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cottonwood Hotel

Cottonwood Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Cottonwood B&B and Inns
San Diego, California, United States
“Small hotel in old town Cottonwood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

The overall experience was enjoyable. Karen is very friendly and personable. The rooms were very clean and the bed was comfortable. A couple of the appliances in the room need servicing. There are several good eating establishments within walking distance of the hotel, and the people in the ones we visited made visitors feel welcome in their town. If in the area again, we would stay at this hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cottonwood_Hotel_930, Owner at Cottonwood Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Thank you Melanie for taking the time to write us a wonderful review. I do wish that you would have made us aware of any appliance that wasn't working. All of our appliances are new. I am still not sure to what appliance you are referring to, and I am not quite sure what unit you stayed in. I am guessing that maybe you might have tried to use one of our induction cook-tops. We do keep the breaker off to those, unless someone request the use, as they are seldom used, but are available. Even though we don't keep office hours 24/7 (reason why we are called Specialty Lodging), we are still always available by phone and do live on the premises. I do look forward to your next stay and would only hope that if something isn;t working you will let us know, so that we can make your stay more enjoyable. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Love this little hotel. The bed was very comfrotable and the towels were very plush. Felt like I was staying at a friend's house! The room also had a large selection of teas, coffee and complimentary water. The location right downtown was a real bonus. I got a chance to see the other rooms, and all were updated and decorated very nicely. Look forward to another visit. Owner Karen was very gracious and knowledgeable about the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kataz
Cottonwood_Hotel_930, Owner at Cottonwood Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write us a nice review. It is greatly appreciated. We hope to see you again, when you are back up this way. Don't forget to use our frequent customer discount code. Thanks again! :)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Thank you Karen for your hospitality. The Mae West suite was exactly perfect for Ms. Brannigan and I. Exceptionally romantic and very well kept and equipped, From the original wood floors to the claw foot tub, even the decor.

If you are staying anywhere in the Verde Valley area on a romantic getaway and don't stay here, you missed the mark. Ms. Brannigan and I plan to return as often as possible.

Thanks,

Marshall

Room Tip: No pool or fitness center, just a quaint hotel. Marked it excellent because there is NO way I could...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cottonwood_Hotel_930, Owner at Cottonwood Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you so much Marshall for taking the time to give the historic Cottonwood Hotel such a nice review! I was so delighted to hear that our Mae West Suite worked for your special romantic weekend with Ms. Brannigan. We appreciate both your comments and your supporting our little hotel. As each stay with us supports our small business and our continued preservation project, we strive to keep adding to your Old Town experience for future visits. Please use our VIG code to take advantage of our Very Important Guests (repeat guests incentives)... Thanks again. I look forward to your return visit.
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

A stay over is a necessity when wine tasting up north and after enjoying tastings at a couple of winiries and then some of the tasting rooms along Main St. In old town Downtown Cottonwood retiring to the Cottonwood Hotel was the perfect answer. Karen the owner is everything. She answers the phone, prepares the room, greets you and is a historian on top of it all. She's wonderful and what makes your stay at the hotel a success.

The hotel is a historic building and is being restored by the owner. John Wayne, Mae West and other celebrities of days gone by have stayed with pictures and their stories filling the lobby.

We had the Mae West suite. The suite was clean and appointed well, the living room/ kitchenette area included a fridge, microwave and small sink/kitchen area separate to the bedroom. A newer platform bed with a foam mattress was quite comfortable. The bathroom, though very tiny accommodated us just fine.

For an evening or even a weekend the suite would be a good respite. It's situated perfectly downtown and allows for easy roaming among all the shops, restaurants and tasting rooms that old town has to offer. If there's a negative it's the music across the street that plays well into the night at the bar.

Bottom line, yes we'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cottonwood_Hotel_930, Manager at Cottonwood Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Lauren

I greatly appreciate that you took the time to write a nice review about your recent stay at the historic Cottonwood Hotel. I want to thank you again for choosing us for your recent stay in Cottonwood. I look forward to your next visit with us and please be sure to use our repeat guests online discount.

Karen J. Leff/Management
Cottonwood Hotel, Cottonwood Arizona
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed one night in the Wine Suite. The suite is well appointed, with a kitchenette, small refrigerator, queen-size bed, and very small bathroom with a shower. It is on the second floor in about the middle of the hotel, so it is a very quiet room. Karen checked us in, showed us the room, and spend some time suggesting nearby restaurants. Cottonwood Hotel is in the center of a business district that includes several restaurants, wine-tasting rooms, and antique shops. It is about 3 miles from the Verde Canyon Railway, which is why we were in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cottonwood_Hotel_930, Owner at Cottonwood Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your positive thoughts about our smallest suite, our "Wine Room" and choosing the historic Cottonwood Hotel for your stay. We greatly appreciate your supporting our small business and historic hotel preservation project.
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

This was the best motel/hotel stay of our whole trip. It is not a modern hotel, but a clean and authentic hotel with a real history were famous people stayed (John Wayne and Mae West). Karen, the owner, is the perfect host. Her stories of old Cottonwood were exciting. I appreciated hearing about the old Al Capone days, the time they had the airplanes races at the old Cottonwood airport with Amelia Earhart, and the stories of Elvis Presley’s visit.
Karen is an inspiration. You will get a real history lesson from a warm and loving person. I would go out of my way to stay here.

Room Tip: If you can get it, ask for the John Wayne or Mae West room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cottonwood_Hotel_930, Owner at Cottonwood Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thanks Larry for a great review! I am always delighted when guests spark an interest in Cottonwood's cultural heritage tourism! Looking forward to your next visit to share more stories! :)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

I have stayed at the Cottonwood Hotel several times - the innkeeper now knows me by name. I have stayed in three different rooms there and each was perfect for my needs. This is a historic hotel and each room is unique. Several times I've stayed here while traveling solo, and once with a friend. Each time I had a great stay. The innkeeper provides environmentally-friendly products in the showers & sinks, the beds are very comfortable, and the small kitchen was great to have. This is located right in the heart of Old Town, on Main Street, so there are lots of great shops and restaurants within walking distance, including two wine-tasting rooms. The only complaint I had here was the heater was very loud in one of the downstairs rooms I stayed in - it made a repeated banging noise that woke me up every time it was running. I also wish there was a more generous cancellation policy, although I've never had to cancel. Otherwise, I love staying here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo