“Nice lunch, great food”
Review of Schoolhouse Restaurant - CLOSED

Schoolhouse Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Cottonwood Schoolhouse is closed while we are transitioning to a new building in old town Cottonwood. We are currently serving all of our incredible guests from our Village of Oak Creek Location.
Clarkdale, Arizona
“Nice lunch, great food”
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed lunch here, service good as was the food, would like to try for dinner. Only negative was that the tables were too close for conversation. We will go back

Visited April 2014
C D, Owner at Schoolhouse Restaurant, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for the review! I am very happy we were able to serve you for lunch. We look forward to your next dining experience. We are also still trying to figure out how to make it a little more private.

Sedona
“Another five star rating.”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Where to go to celebrate two birthdays. The Schoolhouse, of course. We arrived at 6:30 on a Friday and found our table ready. Being a warm day we stated with a delightfully herbaceous Sauvignon Blanc by the glass. We decided to be "Southerners" for a night. Three of us had the shrimp and grits and one had Chicken and blue corn waffles. The grits were almost like a creamy polenta and served as a lovely background for the four LARGE shrimp which were delicately seasoned. Our chicken eater remarked at how moist and tender the chicken was. The blue corn waffles had a sweetened fluffy sauce which looked lip-smacking good.. Although we elected to sit at a table the chef's bar was occupied by folks who were engaged in a lively dialogue with Chef Chris and his staff. What fun for them.
The Schoolhouse is small and a reservation is always a good idea. You can go" casual" and fit right in. The freshest ingredients and the care and expertise of an experienced chef who enjoys what he does. Don't miss this one!

• Visited June 2014
C D, Owner at Schoolhouse Restaurant, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
We always appreciate another 5 star that is for sure! Thank you so very much for allowing us to serve you on 2 great occasions. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Carlsbad, California
“Cozy Restaurant”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We celebrated Father's Day for dinner at this restaurant. Started off with the spicy and tasty ceviche shooters. My favorite was the organic fresh spinach - kale salad with the chili lime house vinaigrette. The scallops and flat iron steak were cooked perfectly. The duck with Yorkshire pudding was also rich and filling. Beers were reasonably priced. Finally, we ended the meal with gluten free lemon coconut cake. Yum. The only surprise is that they don't tell you that they will add a 20% service charge for parties of 6 or more. Reservations are recommended due to the limited seating.

• Visited June 2014
C D, Owner at Schoolhouse Restaurant, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for the great review! I am so very sorry about the service charge, I will make sure the ladies go over when they drop the guest check a some don't see the print on the menu. We look forward to your next dining experience.
Best regards, Chris
Cottonwood, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best of cottonwood!”
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I always enjoy dining at the schoolhouse! My favorite dish is mama's shells. I called tonight at 8:04 pm and asked what time they were open until hoping in my heart that it would be 9:00 but they close at 8:00 :( But I would not relent and asked if I could place a to go order and music to my ears they said yes! I ordered my favorite dish mama's shells and I had some technical problems on our end paying with our card so I sent my husband home to get our hidden mattress money. The beautiful lady that welcomed us who might be a server too came with our to go order while I waited for my husband to return with the cash she said the owner gave it to us as a baby gift!! I'm 30 weeks pregnant and other then praising Chris the chef and owner on how delicious his food is I don't usually talk to him so he did not know other then walking my pregnant self into his restaurant that I have a baby on the way! I was blown away by his kindness and left filled with awe that there is still hope for this world with such kind hearted men and business owners like himself. I follow the schoolhouse on Facebook too and Chris the owner is fantastic! During the most recent fire in Sedona oak creek canyon he was an advocate for the families and firefighters helping get our community involved. Also when the owner of quince a delicious Mexican restaurant jumped town and shut down overnight Chris was willing to honor gift certificates at his restaurant for people that had received them for quince. Schoolhouse is a great community minded family friendly restaurant that is delicious too! I feel that we the people of the Verde valley should link arms and hearts and suppot the schoolhouse and owner Chris! Thank you schoolhouse for being the best! P.s. I called my husband who was on his way back and told him about the kindness that Chris had bestowed upon us and that this is one of the reasons I love living in our small town of cottonwood:)

C D, Owner at Schoolhouse Restaurant, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for reviewing us! We are very thankful for long term guests like yourself, husband and your future child. We look forward to serving you all very soon.
Best regards, Chris
Cottonwood, Arizona
“Outstanding Food, Service, and Ambience !”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

What a great place, the entire experience is worthy of 5 stars, Chris and Laura and the staff make dining here enjoyable and satisfying. I have sampled multiple selections from the menu and have no complaints. We have entertained guests from out of town who have raved about this Class Establishment. If at all possible get either the Chef's Table or the Chef's Window Table. Chris will make the dinner that much more enjoyable !

• Visited May 2014
C D, Owner at Schoolhouse Restaurant, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for the review! We really appreciate our guests going above and beyond to support us. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you in the future!