“Confirming the number 1 rating”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Schoolhouse Restaurant - CLOSED

Schoolhouse Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Cottonwood Schoolhouse is closed while we are transitioning to a new building in old town Cottonwood. We are currently serving all of our incredible guests from our Village of Oak Creek Location.
Sedona, AZ
“Confirming the number 1 rating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

I've been reading and hearing great things about the Schoolhouse restaurant for months now. Last night, we finally got there. We had reservations because the seating is limited. Good thing, because I only saw one other empty table and it was a Tuesday night. We were immediately served some hot spiced chocolate shooters. Warmed us in so many ways. The menu is as creative as anything that I've seen. The soup of the moment was mushroom with roasted duck. Two of us choose that to start. My DW opted for baked artichoke hearts and then had a bowl of the soup as an entree. I began with pork belly dates and had the roasted duck carnitas with Yorkshire pudding for dinner. The flavors were delightful. Our friends enjoyed their scallops and Osso Bucco. The peach cobbler we had for dessert was more than the four of us could finish.
Our server, Laura, was prompt, attentive and friendly. Overall, our dining experience was excellent. We were filled and satisfied beyond our expectations and agreed that the value was there too. The menu prices were about $5-10 less than what we would expect to pay for similar food up the road in Sedona. I'm not knocking Sedona. I'm just saying that the School House is an excellent option, less than 20 miles away.

• Visited December 2013
C D, Owner at Schoolhouse Restaurant, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you so very much for the confirmation! Laura and I really appreciate you taking the time to write such and incredible review. We look forward to having you again to dine.
Best Regards, Chris

Boulder, Colorado USA
“HAPPY, DELICIOUS, DELIGHTFUL EVENING!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

While staying in Sedona, two artists at the Art Center highly recommended the Schoolhouse. What a pleasant surprise to find it even exceeded our expectations! We sat at the "chefs table" on comfortable stools at a bar with the executive chef and owner, Chris, overseeing all the diner's orders and interacting with us. It was heartwarming to see his psssion for the food and ease and comfort level talking to us as he worked. His beautiful wife, Laura, helped explain the menu and helped us choose our food and wine.

Chris started us off with complimentary seasoned nuts and pumpkin seeds, YUM! Chris gave us a taster of seared ahi. Then we shared the Pork Belly and Date starter, divine. I ordered Pan Seared Diver Scallops (with risotto and broccolini), absolutely the best scallops I've ever tasted! My husband had the Demi Braised Pork Osso Bucco (with the best. Brussel sprouts in garlic).

We really didn't have room for dessert, but couldn't pass up the Peach Cobbler with pineapple and freshly whipped cream.

We can't wait to return and would highly recommend Schoolhouse to anyone who appreciates good service, great fresh innovative food and cozy ambiance!

C D, Owner at Schoolhouse Restaurant, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for making us a stop on your trip! I really had a great time serving you and I hope you got safely. We cant wait until the next time you are in.
Best Regards, Chris
Sedona, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply "THE" place to dine in Cottonwood, AZ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

I recently dined at Schoolhouse with my family and I can tell you, the experience was all I had heard it would be and more. It's obvious the chef LOVES what he does. His passion, experience and perfection as a chef is reflected in the preparation and presentation. Every item we tried was beyond anything else that we've found in Cottonwood. The food is delicious, unique, fresh, with unexpected flavor in every bite. After dining at Schoolhouse, the other restaurants in the area don't seem to deliver the freshness or quality of their food along with very reasonable prices.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Ana S
C D, Owner at Schoolhouse Restaurant, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you so much for dining with us! It makes me very happy and reminds me why we do what we do at Schoolhouse. We really appreciate your time that it took to write this review and we look forward to your next visit.
Sedona, Arizona, United States
“Never disappointed, always a surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

The ambiance of the School House is always a cozy, warm surrounding from the time you enter until the time you leave. I've always been greeted at the door with a sincere hello.
Service is always on time, never rushed to place a drink order and someone is always close if you have any questions on their exciting wine list and beer menu.
This is truly one of the places I could blindfold myself and point an appetizer or entree and be blown away be what arrives to our table. I could go on and on about the flavors, pairings and freshness of the ingredients at the School House, but I will leave this for you to discover. I have to say I don't have a favorite as of yet because every single item I've tried is equal in quality.
I am very impressed by the attention to detail by the chef, the level of enthusiasm by the staff and the obvious passion that makes The School House Restaurant my go to place for special occasions as well as a place to stop by for a glass of wine and maybe a light fare.
Looking forward to great things in the years to come from this establishment..

Thank you Mr. V its always our treat when we have you and your lovely family in! Hope to see you again soon.
Houston, Texas
“Northern Arizona's Hidden Jewel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Traveled to Sedona for a romantic anniversary getaway. Was given a word of mouth recommendation for the Schoolhouse Restaurant. Decided to give it a try and requested seating at the chef's table.

Upon entry the hostess was courteous and promptly recognized our arrival. We were immediately seated and welcomed by the head chef and owner. The rest of the night added to this perfect dining experience with dialog with the chef and incredible food recommendations and samples.

Being our first trip to the area, we were blown away by this place and will absolutely be coming back again in the future.

A perfect 5-star experience.

• Visited November 2013
It was our absolute pleasure having you and your husband both nights. It was great to know that we shared common bonds other than culinary (Katy Texas rocks!). Thank you also for taking your time and we are happy you arrived back home safely.