“Clean but dated and lacking in good interior design” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quality Inn - Cottonwood

Quality Inn - Cottonwood
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Cottonwood
San Diego, CA
“Clean but dated and lacking in good interior design”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

We were just passing through (visiting Jerome and such). It was getting late and there didn’t seem to be much to choose from in Cottonwood. I was very hesitant about staying here from the look of the exterior and the “Quality Inn” name (not usually very good quality from our experience) but the interior did look clean although the furnishings do look very outdated (although not old). Given that the rooms are so big (except shower/toilet area - way too cramped) there is a lot of potential to make much nicer rooms with some extensive floor plan changes and some better decor choices and color changes (a professional interior decorator).

There was a mini refrigerator and microwave oven in the room. The television was one of those older models (not flat screen). Also in the room was an overstuffed chair and a small table with two chairs and a small chest of drawers. The bed was somewhat comfortable (not bad & not great).

We didn’t hear the guest next door but maybe there weren’t any guest just next door. We could very easily hear people outside our door which leads directly out to parking. This is a two story motel where one enters their room from the outside (not an inside corridor).

There is a pool and hot tub but we did not use these amenities. The breakfast room was crowded and the food was just the same old food in warming trays and lacking in taste. Many people seem to find this expectable because it is “free” but I would rather have my room price reduced because I usually don’t eat this type of food.

I have posted some photos with my review so maybe these can help you get a better visual of the accommodations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank misplaced
Candy1000, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn - Cottonwood, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are renovating as this is typed room by room as the budget allows for.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed here last night. I was initially nervous because we've had two bad experiences with Quality Inns (Morton, Illinois and Airport North, Tucson), but the room in Cottonwood was large, spotlessly clean, and quiet. The front office area was cozy and attractive; the hotel is an attractive desert color, surrounded by palm trees, and was decorated with Christmas lights for an overall welcoming appearance. The breakfast was really good, and the manager (?) was friendly and helpful when the orange juice ran out. I wish we'd had more time for Cottonwood, and I'd stay at this Quality Inn again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Candy1000, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn - Cottonwood, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you so much for your review. Especially about our rooms. We do not put frills in, thinking the majority of our guests would appreciate more space to walk around than extras cluttering the room. Come again anytime. We appreciate you taking the time to write this review.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

In looking for a quick and affordable weekend getaway to the Sedona area from phoenix we realized the hotels in Sedona were way over priced. So my wife and I decided to give the Quality Inn a try. I have to say for the price, service, and location, you cannot get a better value for a vacation. The rooms were clean and the resort is well maintained.

Pros:
- Old Town Cottonwood has added many new restaurants, wine tasting bars, and is a short drive away.
- Jerome is a fantastic adventure with also great restaurants, wine tasting bars, and is also a short drive away.
- Sedona is a 20 min. away drive which is a short distance - really like the quiet location of the Quality Inn, located in the non touristy upper Sedona Area, where we can in a short car ride visit Sedona for the day and save a lot of $ for our frequent weekend getaways.

Room Tip: Clean, Great Customer Service, Inexpensive Price, etc.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Concerned2006, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn - Cottonwood, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
The Quality Inn SO appreciates your review and cannot wait for you to come back. It is so wonderful to have a nice review. We work so hard to make our small hotel the place to be!
Tucson, AZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Check-in was prompt and friendly, rooms are at some distance from the office. It seems to be a large property with several two story motel buildings. We requested and received a room on the second floor. The peachy orange exterior color extended to the interior walls, not a flattering or an attractive color. The room was rather large with a king bed, as requested, plus table and chairs, and rather more lighting than is usual, a good thing. The vanity and sink area was small, and there wasn't much space for toilet articles. The counter was extremely low-I'm not tall but I felt like a giant-which made using the sink a little strange. The toilet was tiny and low. The bed was comfortable and firm and we slept well. Next morning we found that the shower wasn't bad but the towels were small and rough-don't rub your face too hard or you'll exfoliate far more than you wish. The room could use a major refurbishment- the furniture, the rug, the paint are old and sad and depressing. We did not sample the breakfast. The bed was decent, but I wouldn't stay here again. Paying nearly $100 is far too much for such a faded flower.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rcatesby
Concerned2006, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn - Cottonwood, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Sorry you won't be coming back. In this day and time, $100 to rent something for a day's use is cheap. Our neighbors in Sedona charge way more. It is location-location. Things are quite a bit pricey in Arizona remote areas. We do not claim to be a resort after-all. But, economical for sure. Check other comparable hotels in the Verde Valley, to see what I mean. P.S. Orangey color? I don't understand that one. Our exterior doors are wine-colored and the building itself is desert tan.
Gold Canyon, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Terrible, terrible, terrible customer relations! I was charged for my sister's room even though she gave them her credit card when we checked in. When I asked for a refund of one of the charges on my card, I was told someone had to be responsible for paying for the room and since they don't have her card information on file, the charge stays on until she calls them with her credit card info. I should not have to call my sister back east and tell her she has to call the hotel to fix this. THIS WAS NOT OUR MISTAKE....WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR THEIR MISTAKE!! I contend the hotel should be responsible for paying for her room since it was their screwup.
I also agree with previous reviewers' comments about the sub-par cleanliness and breakfast at this hotel but since I've experienced worse other places, this is secondary to the abysmal customer service. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone; in fact, I will make it a point to tell people to stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Barb C
Concerned2006, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn - Cottonwood, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
I understand your frustration. When I talked with you, I gave you examples of what might have caused the error for the charge to your card. This in no way constitutes an admission of fault on anyone's plate. The purpose of a credit card guarantee (which you did with your card) is to cover the room fees incase something might happen--which it did. As I explained, I will be glad to refund your credit card once I receive the credit card to pay for the bill. Without it, I cannot. It is unreasonable to think you or anyone would receive a free stay because of computer or human error. If you elect not to have your family call with the credit card to pay the bill means you elect to pay for the bill-it is that simple.

Travelers are raving about these Cottonwood hotels

Scottsdale
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

*Stayed in Room 101*

Arrived at hotel at 9:30pm, there was no one in the lobby except another guest who was waiting to check in as well. After waiting 5 minutes, I called the main hotel number. The clerk must have answered the phone in a back office, and he said he would be with us to check us in. He was a little strange, and after I took a minute to read over what I was signing for the room he stated, "You're not signing your life over, just sign the receipt."

Room was ok for the price, but you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I woke up to 15 bed bug bites all over my legs, hands, and neck. We lifted the mattress and found bed bugs. Not an infestation, but enough to bite me all over. It ruined my trip.

However, I am not marking this as a "Terrible" review due to two things:

1. When I asked for the manager at check out and showed him my bites and the dead bed bug, he promptly comped my stay. I did appreciate that I didn't have to pay for getting eaten alive at the hotel.

2. They did have a great complimentary breakfast. There was plenty of food and the pancakes were good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Angel T
Concerned2006, Public Relations Manager at Quality Inn - Cottonwood, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
I apologize for your experience. A commercial pest control company was called in. This room has been given a clean bill of health.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were at the Quality Inn for a professional retreat which included the Verde Valley Train. We chose Quality Inn over a high priced Sedona facility for the value and proximity to the train, and great guest service provided by Candy, sales manager. Although the Quality Inn has the space for putting on events, due to recent hard times in Cottonwood, the services are not available to go with the space (but the hotel is in the process of bringing in a restaurant and bar operator now). However, Candy made excellent recommendations for catering from restaurants in Cottonwood, and they did not disappoint! Excellent choices!

The train was a fantastic choice for a group. Candy was able to get all seats together in one first-class car, which added to the comraderie.

The rooms were very separate from the check-in and meeting room - large parking lot between - great for quiet. And even great for our somewhat older crowd, as they drove their cars between and always had parking near the door! The rooms are clean and comfortable, though basic. We really appreciated the good sized mini-fridge in every room - for all the leftovers from the generous portions from the Cottonwood restaurants!

The meeting room was clean and ready for our group, with all needed equipment in place the night before.

The included breakfast was well stocked with lots of choices. Loved the pancake machine and warm syrup! There were also hot scrambled eggs, potatoes, gravy, biscuits, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, instant oatmeal, juices, coffee - more than you'll find at my house for breakfast! And the hot foods were steadily replaced.

I would recommend the Quality Inn, definitely with the train package deal!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelsFromUS
Candy1000, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn - Cottonwood, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. I hope to see everyone back again next year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cottonwood
Pines Motel
#2 of 7 in Cottonwood
Verde Valley Inn
Verde Valley Inn
#4 of 7 in Cottonwood

Been to Quality Inn - Cottonwood? Share your experiences!