“Lovely day in the Valley”

Alcantara Vineyards
Alcantara Estate Vineyards Tasting Experience
Ranked #5 of 38 things to do in Cottonwood
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Alcantara Vineyards is a dream venture created by Barbara and husband Bob to provide their family and partners the opportunity to live the dream of growing a vineyard community and winery. It was in cultivating the vineyards and embracing the land that Barbara and her family soon realized there was a bigger picture in this hidden treasure along the confluence of two rivers. You’ll find Alcantara Vineyards has over 13,000 vines and offers 12 different varietals. While you sip wine and enjoy our peaceful surroundings, which include vineyards, a grass picnic area, the Verde River and bald eagles flying overhead, you’ll find you are part of our community and family.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Southfield, Michigan
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Lovely day in the Valley”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was our first trip to Arizona and we wanted to do a day trip away from the busy city of Phoenix. During my search I found that they had vineyards in the northern part of the state an hour and half away. Our first stop was Alcantara Vineyard. We missed it the first time around, but found out from the camp ground that we had to turn around and make a right at the first dirt road. A little scary going down to the vineyard, but once there what a great find. We are dessert wine people and they only had one. My husband did do tasting of other wines, but our favorite was the Muscato. It was light, delicate and did not have a bitter taste at the end. Loved the warm atmosphere, can't say enough about the ladies that work there and the wonderful Muscato. Not two be missed.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank johnlh

Tucson, Arizona
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Beautiful views, wonderful wine”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We visited Alcantara Winery with 2 other couples in Dec 2012. Service was excellent! Wines were described in an easy to follow manner. It was difficult to choose a favorite. We really love the reds and chose the Sangiovese. Delicious:) Walk around the vineyards, you will enjoy the views. Look forward to visiting again!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank EdandGerry
Holliston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“You can't find a better location, and you certainly can't find better people”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I've been to the Sedona area a few times in the past few years, and 2 years ago I decided to try out a couple vineyards. Being new to the wine world I didn't really know what I was doing or what I was talking about, but I figured why not give a wine tasting a try. Alcantara is a beautiful vineyard just a little ways down a dirt road off of 260. The location allows you to relax and enjoy your surroundings. The wines themselves were absolutely fantastic as well, as I said I'm not an expert but I enjoyed every one that I tried, and being able to sample them right where most are grown and produced was a special treat.

However what made this trip extra special was the people. Vince, Jen and Kerry are fantastic. They are lots of fun will tell you everything you need to know about their wine, and wine in general. It was great for a wine novice like myself. It is them more than anything that keeps me coming back to Alcantara. I look forward to it every year and I can't wait to go back to see them again.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank Ryan C
Dallas, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Easy trip from Sedona, great way to spend an afternoon”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was intrigued by the Verde Valley vineyards - I had no idea there were wineries in Arizona that grow their own grapes! This was our first stop of several, and what a great way to spend an hour or two. We did the $15 tasting and really enjoyed most of the wines, and they even reduced the price for us when we mentioned that we would be flying home the next day and wouldn't really be able to take our wineglasses with us. Picked up a fruit and cheese plate and a couple of glasses and headed out back to sit and relax by the small fountain; they have a ton of outdoor seating in a really beautiful setting.

You absolutely feel like you're headed out into the middle of nowhere on your way to Alcantara, but just keep driving - the visit is well worth your time.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank delpha_
Cottonwood, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Winery with a view.”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

As part of a wine tasting weekend, although there were many people, the wine tasting was not rushed and the finger foods were great.

Visited May 2012