“Absolutely Wonderful! Can't wait to go back!”

Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 7 Cottonwood B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Absolutely Wonderful! Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

My sister and I couldnt have asked for a better time. It was like being welcomed into an old friends home. It has an excellent family feeling. Breakfast was beautifully done. The attention to detail and mindfulness of healthy nutrition was awesome and appreciated. We enjoyed our time there so much, and the owner, Betty, was amazing. It was the perfect retreat after hiking in Sedona. We have decided to make this our yearly trip, if not sooner!
Thanks again!
Michelle & Monique

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank shellshock8844
DesertRoseBnB, Owner at Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
It was as much of a pleasure for us to have you stay and we can't wait until you come back. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with others by writing your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Mohave Valley, Arizona
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Don't judge Desert Rose by the surrounding area because it is an island onto it's self. The grounds are beautiful and the room was also. The service is friendly and made us feel like wanted guests. We would recommend Desert Rose B and B

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RandJ1767
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, we are sure other potential travellers will find it very helpful. It was a great pleasure having you stay with us, we really hope to have you come again soon!
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 30, 2011

My sister lives and works in Cottonwood and I decided to take my two year old daughter up to visit her over Memorial Day Weekend. Pulling a few strings because she works in the wine industry, she was able to book me a room at the Desert Rose B & B for a very reasonable rate. Despite one of the not-so-positive reviews here about the location of the Desert Rose, I was also pleased with its rating on TripAdvisor. After staying at the Desert Rose, I can say the location issue was not a problem for me as I liked the fact that it is tucked back inside a neighborhood you wouldn't expect a B & B to be in. It is not far from the sites, shopping and wineries in the area. The property itself is fenced and gated and well-lit.

Highlights:

-For me, I thought the turkeys (yes, thats right...turkeys!) meandering the property was awesome and charming. The male turkey loves people and just wants to be admired. The llamas have their own pen and you have to walk across a wide expanse of grass to get to them but my two year old loved them. Keep an eye out for Bailey, the six week old puppy....so cute.

-The hand-made rock water feature is also in a shady, relaxing location. It was very nice to drink a glass of wine in a comfy chair and have a zen moment in front of that running water.

-Breakfast is a deluxe continental breakfast. It is not your typical, five-course, heavy breakfast you get at other B & B's. The table is set with lovely china and glasses. You can have coffee, tea, milk, OJ or apple juice and fresh fruit. You can toast bagels, english muffins or really good bread. And you can fix yourself a bowl of cereal or oatmeal. If they are available, Betty does make turkey eggs to order. I am not a big breakfast eater so I liked the lighter fare. (Side note: Water bottles are always available and there is a mini-fridge/microwave in the dining area for guest's to use at any hour of the day).

-The King bed in our attic suite was sooooo comfy. The linens on the bed were lovely with a subtle garden motif and not too feminine. There is a little foyer in front of the door to the room that has a built in bookshelf with a lot of interesting books (mostly fiction). I read a book every night after I put my tot to bed and it was heaven.

-Betty herself is a wonderful and sweet lady. She gave my daughter an Elmo toy because she had a spare in her own children's collection of toys. My tot was elated and dragged the Elmo around everywhere with us the rest of the trip. She also was fun to converse with and suggested a restaurant to us that had a "secret" order that was not on the menu and not advertised.

Traveling with a toddler can be a hair-raising and stressful experience that I have to admit I was dreading. It must have been kismet that I wound up at the Desert Rose B & B because I am happy to report that it was a WONDERFUL trip thanks in no small part to Betty and her family-friendly approach to running her B & B. It is a quiet, interesting, charming, private, and accomodating property that I heartily recommend to anyone visiting the Cottonwood, AZ area.

Room Tip: Ask for the attic room. Quiet, cool and lovelyl
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Shelbystarlight
DesertRoseBnB, Owner at Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 11, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this very nice and elaborate review. We are extremely thrilled that you enjoyed your stay as guest satisfaction is our top priority. We are particularly happy that you liked our location which we find to be the most central to the Verde Valley/Jerome/Sedona area.

The beds, the beds... All our rooms have King size beds and many (if not most!) guests have commented on how comfortable they all are.

All B&B's are as different as their owners, that is what makes them a fantastic experience!

Come back soon!
Plattsmouth
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Driving through the neighborhood to find this B&B I literally said to my wife, "I'm sorry, but I already paid for the place." The neighborhood is scary for a B&B location. There is a reason the house is fenced and gated.
I wish I had read other reviews about the food. I have stayed in dozens of B&B's and the breakfast at Desert Rose was by far the worst. We get much better meals at 2-3 star hotels. You only get a turkey egg if the turkeys actually produce eggs. I notice that Betty responded to other reviews that they state it is only a continental breakfast. I checked their website again. They only state that on the FAQ page.
You get make your own toast/bagel/english muffin or generic brand oatmeal packets and healthy cereals (Kashi). They should make a separate distinction for B&B's that claim this is a breakfast.
Betty was a very nice host. This review is in no reflection of her, just the location/neighborhood and the lack of a real breakfast.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank EarthTraveler0216
DesertRoseBnB, Owner at Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 9, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

We wish you had mentioned something about your feelings towards our neighborhood and location, had you mentioned this worry upon check in, we would have gladly refunded you as we want to have happy guests and do not want to have anyone stay with us if they do not want to be staying with us.

Our past guests, on the other hand, have felt that our neighborhood was quite safe, quiet and nice, a great representation of North Central Rural Arizona. We fully agree and feel that our location is extremely central and very convenient to the Verde Valley. (Sedona, Jerome, Clarkdale, Camp Verde and Cottonwood)

We are extremely sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us and hope that you will come stay with us again soon.
Silverado, California
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Sebastian was very accommodating to us when we called without advanced notice and managed to work us in. He even bent the rules for us a little bit by allowing us to bring our cats because we were in a tough spot. To do that, our hosts were willing to remove the area carpets and extra fabrics to make it pet-friendly at a moment's notice. Sebastian was really very nice to us and went out of his way to make us feel welcome and give advice on things to do in the area.

The B&B has all the basic amenities, and the property is very nice. The rooms, too, are fairly basic (except for the deluxe one), but very clean and well kept. As has been noted by others, the breakfasts are simple. If you are looking for gourmet breakfasts that you can get at some other B&Bs, this is not the place for you. If you want that, you will also need to pay the price for it. Simple breakfast or not, Sebastian got up at 4 a.m. to get breakfast ready for us when we had to make an early start. That's what I call a good host!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank spendley3
Desertrosebandb, Owner at Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
Thank you very much for your review. We do have three quite different rooms that come at different rates and amenities to enable us to please a multitude of different guests from the budget minded to the luxury seeker. (Even though our rates in comparison to our competitors are very reasonable)

Our official pet policy is that we accept well behaved small dogs. We do charge a small extra for that as we need to thoroughly clean all parts of the room upon check out to make sure that guests with pat allergies are not affected in any way shape or form. This was the first time that anyone had inquired about bringing cats, and it all went very well!

When we initially started our B&B 2 years or so ago, we had initially planned to do a full elaborate breakfast, but have since then changed our mind because, even though our breakfast is "simple" it is just fine for most travelers. In some instances, for dietary reason or other, we have been known to make a more elaborate breakfast. And yes, if someone is looking for a more luxurious/expensive B&B where perhaps the breakfast is more elaborate, there are plenty of them to choose from in Sedona, it will cost at least double what we charge to stay there!

I will respectfully disagree that our B&B and rooms are "simple"!

All our rooms have king beds with 400+ count Egyptian Linens, and now all our rooms have flat screen TV's with cable and DVD player! As for the B&B, we do have two spacious living rooms exclusively for guest use and 1.5 acres of outdoor space with many different sitting areas for guests, including some sitting right by our beautiful fountain.

Thanks again for your great review, we hope to have you stay with us again soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 22, 2010

During a June stay, Sebastien processed a room charge on my credit card at the time of reservation and then again during the stay. I don't think he's cunning enough to do it intentionally just absent minded and lax in his bookkeeping and managment. Although Sebastien has accepted the responsibility to refund the overcharge (after 2 phone calls and several emails), it is now 2 months later and he has not followed through with a check or credit to my card.
Desert Rose is a pleasant enough B&B, but a very disappointing breakfast. Usually a highlight in most B&Bs, the breakfast here consisted of a single poached turkey egg or the old tasting stale cereal. No meats offered or served and any breads were self service. Ironically the single egg is served with much fanfare by Sebatien since it is fresh from the turkeys that greet you at arrival. And although we were told breakfast was served at 8a, nothing was prepared, not even a hot cup of coffee. Honestly, I've had a better continental breakfast at a Comfort Inn.
Many better values in the Cottonwood/Sedona area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank urban_dweller934
Desertrosebandb, Owner at Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 23, 2010
Dear Urban_Dweller,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this insightful review. Yes, there was a mistake made by our credit card company where they did a double charge that was not done with ill intent in mind on our part. I have accepted responsibility and have sent you a check but I have also received a charge back notice from our card processor which leads me to believe that you may be trying to "double dip" here... SO, I have put a stop payment on that check and will ask that you receive a refund through your credit card company by moving forward with the charge back.

Our breakfast is a very extensive one, but do keep in mind that we clearly advertize a generous continental that does consist of organic cereals, jams, Activia yogurt, fresh breads, muffins and fruits. (None of the previously mentioned items are stale...) And YES, we quite go the extra mile for people who want more, or are on special diets which is usually appreciated by the people we do it for, not complained about!

For the record, our breakfast hours are from 8 until 9, (but we do accommodate early or late breakfast eaters, this past weekend, I made breakfast at 6am for a lovely lady that stay with us regularly!) and late for people who like to sleep in (upon request of course!) Coffee is ready by 7:30. All B&B's are very different and offer different things at varied rates. There are B&B's in Sedona that charge $750 per night! The highlights at our B&B is our VALUE, spacious lush grounds, common areas and rooms as well as our comfortable King size beds which are found in all our rooms. (Our Llamas and Turkeys are also more of our highlights!)

Running a Bed and Breakfast is a 24/7 job and sometimes mistakes get made (Please keep in mind that we are trying our very best to make our guests happy (As can be seen in all our other reviews!), it is one thing to talk about the double charge that mistakenly done, but the other things that you mention and the reviews of 2-3 are obviously because you have ill intent in mind.

Again, I would like to thank you for your review and we hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again in the future.
Mechelen, Belgium
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Nice pool, large garden, great breakfast. The rooms were nice (we had adjacent rooms for us and the kids) though both the bathrooms were not appealing and a bit in contrast to the rest.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank WVE
Desertrosebandb, Owner at Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 22, 2010
Thank you for your kind words. We hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again on your next US adventure.